Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up a webcam

Setting up a webcam

Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Setting up a webcam

I know this has been tackled before but I need the fool's guide to setting up and using a webcam!

My SIL and myself both have Windows xp and a webcam each which plug into the USB ports.
What site do we use to operate the webcames etc?

Just another thing I need to do before we go ticked off of the list!

Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Setting up a webcam

Hi tinaj,

We use Yahoo messenger, which can be downloaded from the yahoo.com for free, its shows if your friends are online etc, and has good click and transmit webcam function.

Cant speak for other programs, as yahoo messenger is the only thing we and our friends in Australia use!

Hope this helps

UM

Last edited by unrefined_mind; Oct 28th 2003 at 9:21 am.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:28 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We use MSN messenger, which has always worked great, but with the latest version (6), we can't get the audio to work
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:59 am
owieb

Originally posted by PeteY
We use MSN messenger, which has always worked great, but with the latest version (6), we can't get the audio to work
I use MSN Messenger 6 and can't get any audio either!

Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the Windows Messenger (part of Windows XP) and it works very well.
It is built in to Windows XP and it looks like two small green people, next to the clock. If you have not used it before it will have a red X on it and you will need to set up a .Net passport to be able to use it. You do that by loading up the messenger program.

As long as your video camera works in Windows, it should work with Windows Messenger

I have not tried the MSN one.

Last edited by pabloako; Oct 28th 2003 at 11:10 am.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:15 am
WBB

i have tried a few different programs and find yahoo the easiest to use, works best if you are both on broadband.

yahoo messenger

give it a whirl.

Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there limitations to the use of webcams?

For example, do both 'participants' have to be using the same operating system (ie both on Win XP) and both be using broadband, or both be using dialup?

(I've a feeling this was answered a while ago. I haven't searched for it, but it's possible solutions have moved on anyway.)

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by owieb

That IS wierd eh!

Even stranger, is that we have a wireless network here, and we can use audio between the computers on the network, but not computers outside it....

Scoured the web, but just can't find a solution.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:12 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by young_lad
Are there limitations to the use of webcams?

For example, do both 'participants' have to be using the same operating system (ie both on Win XP) and both be using broadband, or both be using dialup?

(I've a feeling this was answered a while ago. I haven't searched for it, but it's possible solutions have moved on anyway.)

Cheers
In theory, most are cross OS, so it does'nt matter what version of windows you are, dependant on the software you are using for the web chat.

We still get picture, and we are on a cable connection here, my inlaws in aus are on 56k. It works ok, nice to see them kind of thing. I guess the frame refreshes about once a second, so its like a really stuttered video. I should imagine it would work much better if it was broadband to broadband.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have downloaded the Yahoo version. Now I just need to learn what to do next!!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tinaj
I have downloaded the Yahoo version. Now I just need to learn what to do next!!

Got the MSN Messenger working. It is great I sat and chatted to my Mum for ages. Hopefully it has cheered her up a bit knowing that we can chat like this for free! Even if we have a 10 hour time difference!

Thanks for all the advice, I must set up the webcam next.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:38 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by owieb
A solution?

I am going to try it out....will let you know.

http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/to...51&whichpage=1