Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up as Sole trader - questions

Setting up as Sole trader - questions

Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

SEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really nice
Default Setting up as Sole trader - questions

Hi,

I'm heading for Sydney in August 2007 on a Permanent Residency Visa. I'm looking at setting up as a Sole Trader. As I'm in Software development I have the opportunity to start out by working (remote) for a company in Sweden for the first 3-6 months, where I would invoice them from Australia.

I have found a lot of information on ato.gov.au, but have a couple of questions below. Thankful for any hints, links or recommendations.

1. As a Sole Trader, will I need to pay "Super" (9% is it?) of my total income?

2. Are there any insurances one should (or must) take out while working as a sole trader? What's the cost for private health insurance and income protection insurances in Australia as a sole trader?

3. Any specific rules or recommendations I should be aware about when invoicing to a foreign country, from Australia, as a Sole Trader?

Thanks in advance,
Andy, Sweden
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up as Sole trader - questions

NO you dont have to.

2. Are there any insurances one should (or must) take out while working as a sole trader? What's the cost for private health insurance and income protection insurances in Australia as a sole trader?

Depends on your industry & circumstance. Bear in mind that Australia is second only to the USA in terms of civil litigation so some form of public liability and possible professional indemnity may be useful.

3. Any specific rules or recommendations I should be aware about when invoicing to a foreign country, from Australia, as a Sole Trader?

Nope not really.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:40 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEAndy
Hi,

I'm heading for Sydney in August 2007 on a Permanent Residency Visa. I'm looking at setting up as a Sole Trader. As I'm in Software development I have the opportunity to start out by working (remote) for a company in Sweden for the first 3-6 months, where I would invoice them from Australia.

I have found a lot of information on ato.gov.au, but have a couple of questions below. Thankful for any hints, links or recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Andy, Sweden

For small business advice and contact info in NSW try,

www.smallbiz.nsw.gov.au
Old May 1st 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

When you get here go to the ATO and get your TFN (Tax File Number)

Once you have that you can get your ABN (Australian Business Number) This you can do online. Next register for GST (with the ATO) and through the NSW Business of Fair Trading register your business name. Costs about $100

Once you have all that you are good to go.

I suggest you buy a basic copy of MYOB for small business accounting purposes and connect with an accountant who can brief you on any other detail during your startup phase.

PS: Most software development and associated companies are concentrated on the North Shore around Crows Nest, Artarmon and Lane Cove.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:47 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

NO you dont have to.

Depends on your industry & circumstance. Bear in mind that Australia is second only to the USA in terms of civil litigation so some form of public liability and possible professional indemnity may be useful.

Nope not really.
I think the only one worth checking out is if you would have to charge GST[vat] to an overseas company .Its not an issue if you arnt registered for GST but considereing you would probably earn in excess of 50000 dollars turnover you would have to register .
In regards to insurance you will more than likely have to get Public liabilty and a small basic Workers Comp insurance ,just incase you shoulld happen to employ someone even if its only for a few hours .
Im a sole trader and i dont pay any super to my self ,i would rather speculate on the property market .

Last edited by king kong; May 1st 2007 at 5:51 am.
Old May 1st 2007, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

The thing you will have to pay as a registered business is Workers Comp. The bastards make you pay a minimum of $120/yr even when you have no employees. And the thing that really sucks - workers comp isn't available to you the employer to claim against
Old May 1st 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzer57
The thing you will have to pay as a registered business is Workers Comp. The bastards make you pay a minimum of $120/yr even when you have no employees. And the thing that really sucks - workers comp isn't available to you the employer to claim against
Don't think this is right. 3 of my sons are self employed, one with a registered business name, and none have workers comp. Income protection is around $500-600. Workers comp starts around $4k.
Old May 1st 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Don't think this is right. 3 of my sons are self employed, one with a registered business name, and none have workers comp. Income protection is around $500-600. Workers comp starts around $4k.
They just haven't caught up with them yet. If you're self employed technically you have to register as a business with fair trading even if it's just Joe Bloggs (Sole Trader)
Old May 1st 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

If you do all your work for one client and have no employees doing principal work, I think you may fall into the personal services income trap, which means you get taxed as if you were an employee of a company, not at the corporate tax rate.

Originally Posted by SEAndy
Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Andy, Sweden
Old May 1st 2007, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

They just haven't caught up with them yet. If you're self employed technically you have to register as a business with fair trading even if it's just Joe Bloggs (Sole Trader)
It is taking them a h*llova long time then! Their father never paid worker's comp either!!
Old May 1st 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Exile
If you do all your work for one client and have no employees doing principal work, I think you may fall into the personal services income trap, which means you get taxed as if you were an employee of a company, not at the corporate tax rate.
You are right on the button there - and it only takes 1 tax return for them to do it too.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

You are right on the button there - and it only takes 1 tax return for them to do it too.
The unusual ratio is a max of 80% for one client. You can however get exemptions if it's a contract and that's your normal business method.

You would have to show the ATO an employment contract with a termination date to get this past them.

My understanding though is that he is simply an international home based employee. He may be able to get them to vary his employment terms to say subcontractor.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

It is taking them a h*llova long time then! Their father never paid worker's comp either!!
Bastards hounded me for 3 years
Old May 1st 2007, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The unusual ratio is a max of 80% for one client. You can however get exemptions if it's a contract and that's your normal business method.

You would have to show the ATO an employment contract with a termination date to get this past them.

My understanding though is that he is simply an international home based employee. He may be able to get them to vary his employment terms to say subcontractor.
Even the subcontract line doesn't work anymore. If you contract mainly for the one firm the ATO treats you as an employee. Couldn't say what % of the year you could get away with. Moral. Always have a good accountant!!
Old May 1st 2007, 8:50 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

True and depending on industry you will most definetly need worker comp basic and certainly PL .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.