Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Set up costs in Oz

Set up costs in Oz

Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default Set up costs in Oz

Sorry to bring this back to the forum, but have tried a number of search terms and got no response.

I'd be really grateful for some costings of the following, as I arrive next week and want to work out how much money i will need that is instantly accessible.

So far I've come up with the following and would really appreciate some guidecostings and tips, or even some weblinks.

Connection of electricity, gas, water and telephone land line (and broadband)

How many weeks rent in advance is needed on moving into a house?

Cost of a car that is somewhere between an old banger and new (current one worth around £800, looking for something similar)

Rego, and car insurance over that covered by Rego

Medical insurance to cover the "gap" for myself and daughter

Paper driving exam

cost of two mobiles, decent one for me, cheap one for daughter

Cost of kitting out a full School uniform for Secondary School

PC and or laptop (could you recommend any online sites, such as Dell) and peripherals

Cost of secondhand electrical goods and furniture

cost of new electrical goods

Living costs until my first wage packet (around 3-4 weeks)

Anything else I've missed....

PHEW!!!!!!

Cheers guys

Claire
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: Set up costs in Oz

Hi

I've pm'd you!

now I'll try to answer some of your question!

gd
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Water - make sure your landlord is only going to charge you for excess water.

You should not have to pay any utility service bills up front - they will send you a bill after you have moved in.

Rental Bond is 4 wks for rent up to $250 per week + 2 wks in advance or 6 wks Bond + 2 wks if rent is over $250 per wk.

Cars are expensive and you will really need to find the deal which you are happy with! The Rego and stamp duty depend on the cost and size of car you buy. (Some cars already have some rego, it stays with the car until it expires).

Don't know about the health ins.

You don't need to take a theory driving test anymore.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pt 2

Do you want contract or pay as you go phones? We brought ours over from the UK and bought Optus sim cards inc. credit.

Not sure about state school uniforms - prob approx $300 - ask Elaine she'll have looked into it.

I bought a pc online thro Dell.

The rest is a moveable feast!

Please pm me, if you need anything more specific.

gd
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rental furniture and electricals, also new and secondhand:

http://www.radiorentals.com.au/about_radio_rentals.asp

new electricals: http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/v3/index.cfm

Lots of 2nd hand shops around too.

gd
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Rental furniture and electricals, also new and secondhand:

http://www.radiorentals.com.au/about_radio_rentals.asp

new electricals: http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/v3/index.cfm

Lots of 2nd hand shops around too.

gd
Thanks for those sites. Really useful have done some calculations.

Claire
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seabird
Thanks for those sites. Really useful have done some calculations.

Claire
hi claire did you mean a uk website for the laptop? if you did I bought my laptop from laptop craze/crazy cant remeber this google search there based in birmingham. anyway they were really good got my laptop next day. i bought an asus by the way, they do 2 year international warranty as standard