Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Senior School. State Vs Private ?

I've just been having a read up on the 'Australian Education' thread which has triggered this post.

I am hoping to be out in Oz later this year and will be taking 2 children aged 14 & 12. Now as I am going to be a student myself, I will have to pay for my children's schooling fee's.

Sooooo, bearing this in mind, do I send them private or State?

From what I gather there isn't a massive difference in the cost, so Private seems fav doesn't it? Both children are above average in their classes, but the elder is top of the top group in a few subjects inc Maths.

Now she worked very hard to pass the test to get her into one of the best grammar schools in the county, and because of the sibling rule her brother got an automatic place Now there's part of me that obviously wants the best for them, but at the same time myself and my partner feel that altho this school produces very good results, they DO push the kids a bit too much if you ask us. Thankfully my daughter has coped very well with it all and is fine, but her brother does struggle a little, and MIGHT be on a little bit of a downward slope as I think he is starting to rebel a bit at all the work expected from him.

With what I read about Australian schools being that bit more laid back with it all, I think the move to Oz will be a breath of fresh air for them ........... maybe ?!

Anyway, back to my original point. Do you think we should look into Private Schools or stick to finding the best State School in the area?

Queensland - The Gold Coast is where we'll land if we go.

We'd appreciate any thoughts?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I've just been having a read up on the 'Australian Education' thread which has triggered this post.

I am hoping to be out in Oz later this year and will be taking 2 children aged 14 & 12. Now as I am going to be a student myself, I will have to pay for my children's schooling fee's.

From what I gather there isn't a massive difference in the cost, so Private seems fav doesn't it? Both children are above average in their classes, but the elder is top of the top group in a few subjects inc Maths.

Now she worked very hard to pass the test to get her into one of the best grammar schools in the county, and because of the sibling rule her brother got an automatic place Now there's part of me that obviously wants the best for them, but at the same time myself and my partner feel that altho this school produces very good results, they DO push the kids a bit too much if you ask us. Thankfully my daughter has coped very well with it all and is fine, but her brother does struggle a little, and MIGHT be on a little bit of a downward slope as I think he is starting to rebel a bit at all the work expected from him.

With what I read about Australian schools being that bit more laid back with it all, I think the move to Oz will be a breath of fresh air for them ........... maybe ?!

Anyway, back to my original point. Do you think we should look into Private Schools or stick to finding the best State School in the area?

I will have to say here that the snr private schools here are not THAT much more laid back at all. My children were all is state schools at first and they are really laid back. So much so that the boys complained about the lack of education provided due to disruptions by other students. So we moved them to a private school. You must remember that private schools need to draw students and the best way to do this is to have excellent VCE results in the papers, so they do challenge students, but they can be very flexible too. My youngest broke his hand recently and is doing all of his work for the next 8 weeks orally. If we go away for a weekend or a day, or I simply feel that their homework was too much, I write a note and tell the teachers to lighten up and why the work wasn't done and that takes care of the problem. A child should have time for play too and if the school pushes too hard I feel it's my duty as a parent to tell them to ease up a bit.

Unfortunately I'm not in QLD but I'm sure many people here will be able to help you with this.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:20 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We had our parent-teacher last night and that set us talking about state-private schools too. Hopefully this thread will come up with some gems of wisdom but I think we share a lot of the same questions as everyone else:

What will it costs in state vs private?
Relaxed = happier kids but too relaxed = bored kids
I want her to be challenged to achieve her full potential but not stressed by it
Do state schools tend to get worse standards of behaviour which could rub off on to our daughter

Our daughter is currently one of the smallest in her year so I don't think putting her up a year so that she doesn't get bored is the solution or she will be dwarfed by her classmates

I would never dream of sending our daughter to a private school in the UK, even if we could probably afford it. It is probably something like inverted snobbery if I am honest with myself but if snobbery isn't so prevalent in Aus and private school is more affordable I am seriously tempted.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

UUUUUmmmm Jim - you are opening a bag of worms here mate
I live on the Gold Coast. I have been looking at Private Schools for my kids - although they are in the state system at the moment as they are still in primary education.

The most 'prestigious' schools on the coast are generally thought to be St Hildas for Girls and TSS for boys. The fees are much higher than many of the other private schools though.

There is also Trinity Lutheran. Varsity College (a state school) also has a very good reputation. I supposeit depends on whereabouts on the coast you will be living as there are schools all over the place.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:17 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

some private schools may be hard to get into - it is sometimes necessary to enrole your kids when they are born!!! but it does vary a great deal - I would recommend searching the web. Most of my friends from state Primary School (in Brisbane) all went to private schools for their secondary education. I went to a state run secondary school, and over 3/4 of the 200 Year 12 students I finished with, went to good Universities in Brisbane (eg. UQ, QUT, Griffith Uni) or colleges or obtained apprenticeships.

this link may be useful:
http://education.qld.gov.au/

Last edited by Brissiegirl; Feb 25th 2005 at 1:19 pm. Reason: missed a word.. spelling is rubbish on Fridays...
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Now she worked very hard to pass the test to get her into one of the best grammar schools in the county, and because of the sibling rule her brother got an automatic place
Presumbably that would be Watford Grammer - the one that managed to stuff up the admissions system for us last year No offence, but I wish they would sort themselves (or the council) out.

Good luck with the decision. We are thinking about schools at the moment and our main problem is that the private schools seem to have waiting lists so would my girls have to go to the state high and then change just when they have made friends

Quite tempted by Helensvale SHS but obviously can't decide until we get there.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:41 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G'Day
I will have to say here that the snr private schools here are not THAT much more laid back at all. My children were all is state schools at first and they are really laid back. So much so that the boys complained about the lack of education provided due to disruptions by other students. So we moved them to a private school. You must remember that private schools need to draw students and the best way to do this is to have excellent VCE results in the papers, so they do challenge students, but they can be very flexible too. My youngest broke his hand recently and is doing all of his work for the next 8 weeks orally. If we go away for a weekend or a day, or I simply feel that their homework was too much, I write a note and tell the teachers to lighten up and why the work wasn't done and that takes care of the problem. A child should have time for play too and if the school pushes too hard I feel it's my duty as a parent to tell them to ease up a bit.

Unfortunately I'm not in QLD but I'm sure many people here will be able to help you with this.
I was wondering if you know of any good schools in the Mornington area. We've got 2 lads aged 11 & 12 and a daughter aged 5. I've tried looking on the web but can't find much.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Thanks all for replies so far

Originally Posted by debsy
I supposeit depends on whereabouts on the coast you will be living as there are schools all over the place.
Well I'll be studying at the TAFE college so I guess Ashmore is the answer to that one.

Originally Posted by Moneypen20
Presumbably that would be Watford Grammer - the one that managed to stuff up the admissions system for us last year No offence, but I wish they would sort themselves (or the council) out.
No, the other, Parmiters. We was told both the Grammers would be an option, but wanted both the kids to go to a mixed school If we stayed put I think we'd probably consider pulling them out as altho It is a good school with good results, as I say it just seems too pushy there

With our daughter we have always been told she will do well in ANY school she went to as she is very intelligent and has always been ahead of her years. She just has the 'right attitude' when it comes to her schooling and has never needed a push from us, she just gets on with it!

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
some private schools may be hard to get into - it is sometimes necessary to enrole your kids when they are born!!!
Well as I say we plan to be out there late this year so don't think there will be much 'waiting time' for ANY school. One thing I do know is they've both prob had enough with moving school/friends etc when we moved out of London about 5 years ago. They're both up for Australia, that's not a problem as I type this, but I think unless the school proves to be very poor, we would sooner have them stay where we settle. I don't really see starting a State school for now, and waiting on a list till a place comes up at a Private School, then doing the whole 'move' thing AGAIN!! I'm sure there is only a certain amount of jumping about anyone can take!

Originally Posted by Worzel
Our daughter is currently one of the smallest in her year so I don't think putting her up a year so that she doesn't get bored is the solution or she will be dwarfed by her classmates
Yeah my son is the same in this respect so also don't see this as being an option really.

I guess the best thing we can do for now is maybe try for a good Private school, but if it is gonna be a case of 'Waiting List's', then the best the state can offer might be our only choice!

Well unless the private really ARE that much better ?!?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SalSa
I was wondering if you know of any good schools in the Mornington area. We've got 2 lads aged 11 & 12 and a daughter aged 5. I've tried looking on the web but can't find much.
I know that there are a few, but can't remember names off-hand. A few of the women who work with me live there & I'll ask, but I understand that the peninsula has a fairly big drug problem due to there not being very many other things for teens to do. One you woman who works with me is now struggling to overcome her "habit" and told me about it, but I'll find out more for you and let you know.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:09 am
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G'Day
I know that there are a few, but can't remember names off-hand. A few of the women who work with me live there & I'll ask, but I understand that the peninsula has a fairly big drug problem due to there not being very many other things for teens to do. One you woman who works with me is now struggling to overcome her "habit" and told me about it, but I'll find out more for you and let you know.

Scaring me to death now! Got friends there but they have young children and haven't mentioned anything about this. More info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Trinity Lutheran is in Ashmore.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Most of the main parental concerns are over lack of discipline in state schools here. The Australian system allows kids much more control over their own behaviour rather than disciplining them to behave. Obviously this has varied results depending on the kids!! Some schools for example here don't expect kids to wait in silence or walk to assembly quietly.

I have been teaching here since last year and the behaviour in class is Ok it is out of the class that bothers me most. Most of the teachers I work with send their own children to private schools even though they work in the state system, this speaks for itself really.

The exam results especiallly OP scores do appear to be favourable to kids that have attended private schools too.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinaj
Most of the teachers I work with send their own children to private schools even though they work in the state system, this speaks for itself really.

The exam results especiallly OP scores do appear to be favourable to kids that have attended private schools too.
State school market share continues to decline despite independent schools' fees rising by more than inflation for years.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...180111995.html for an article on the tertiary experience. Federal Government policy is effectively to ration university places so competition has been pretty fierce.

State school students may have better success at University becasue they have had to be more self motivated while at school.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:25 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Question Re: Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Good luck with the decision. We are thinking about schools at the moment and our main problem is that the private schools seem to have waiting lists so would my girls have to go to the state high and then change just when they have made friends

Quite tempted by Helensvale SHS but obviously can't decide until we get there.

I know I'm coming in late to this discussion but I've only just discovered the forum and this is the BIGGEST issue for me too.... for all the reasons you've all discussed. I've looked at loads of the schools around the Gold Coast. Some are a little scary - fab resources, grounds, etc & then in the small print mention how all learning is based on the bible and for the glory of god....?
Hmmm - anyone know anything about A.B. Patterson College in Arundel?
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

Not sure I can add anything that hasn't already been said but i have thought long and hard about this one. I think it is very difficult to generalise on this subject - however i am going too From my research it seems that there is not a lot of difference in results between a 'good' state school and a 'good' private school, however there is a massive difference between a 'poor' state school and a 'poor' private one. (by poor i am refering (sp?) to performance). If you read the school context statements they tell you how many of their pupils continue to year 12 and what percentage then go on to university.
But at the end of the day as far as teenagers go, i do think that they come to a point when they will either do it or not regardless of who is nagging/teaching them. (they are after all willful little b**gars) we have three aged 14, 16 and 16 and it is frustrating seeing brains with the potential to be doctors or vets wasted on emulating justin hawkins or similar! if my son put as much effort in to his course work as he did on finding guitar tab to his favourite songs on the internet, he would be getting the straight A's that he is capable of sadly this is not the case).
But none of them smoke, hang around the streets, take drugs or go joy riding etc. so you have to keep it all in perspective and so long as they are all happy then so am I

Jax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.