Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sending tools over

sending tools over

Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice
Default sending tools over

hi people , i just want to know if there are any tradesmen on here who are thinking about or have sent there tools over to oz , i have bought a strong box and have decided to send all of my tools at the cost of £625 , this is for 1 cubic meter at the weight of 200 kg , [ air freight ] , what i would like to know is regarding cleaning tools exactly how clean do they have to be . i have cleaned my hand and power tools with a degreasing wipe , and in fairness they couldnt be more cleaner without soaking them in jays fluid or something similar . any advice is very welcome , cheers .
karl.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sending tools over

Hi Karl

We sent loads of hand and power tools over. My husband pete spent a while cleaning them off and was advised to clean them with jeyes fluid but we ran out of time.

They all came through fine though. I think if you can use jeyes fluid then do, the smell of it tends to reassure the quarantine guys that your stuff is clean.

Rachel
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice

Originally Posted by thehowarths
Hi Karl

We sent loads of hand and power tools over. My husband pete spent a while cleaning them off and was advised to clean them with jeyes fluid but we ran out of time.

They all came through fine though. I think if you can use jeyes fluid then do, the smell of it tends to reassure the quarantine guys that your stuff is clean.

Rachel
cheers Rachel , i havent used jeyes fluid but i think i will spray the tool chest with it before i close it . its a pain but must be done , cheers .
karl.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

FWIW I used WD40 on all hand tools to clean them and provide (in hope!) some form of protection from the heat (i.e. condensation) during the journey. Jeyes fluid was used on all items which had been used outdoors and on wooden items.

We received our goods yesterday, no issues on quarantine, though not all boxes are unpacked yet
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:22 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

I cleaned most of my steel tools using wet & dry sandpaper then sprayed WD40 onto a cloth and chucked them all in an airtight box, with the power tools just cleaned the box inside out added a small cloth sprayed with WD40, picked them all up last week no problems what so ever....
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I had all my tools clean buy local garage in a parts wash its like a washing machine for engine parts took about 15mins better than doing them by hand!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:29 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 571090
hi people , i just want to know if there are any tradesmen on here who are thinking about or have sent there tools over to oz , i have bought a strong box and have decided to send all of my tools at the cost of £625 , this is for 1 cubic meter at the weight of 200 kg , [ air freight ] , what i would like to know is regarding cleaning tools exactly how clean do they have to be . i have cleaned my hand and power tools with a degreasing wipe , and in fairness they couldnt be more cleaner without soaking them in jays fluid or something similar . any advice is very welcome , cheers .
karl.
I am a toolmaker and i cleaned mine, then i sprayed them with wd40, they never even opened the box it had tools written on it.

This was a tip from a fellow trady, as he saud if they can smell the wd40 they wnt bother to crack open the box...

hope this helps..