Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sending pressie to UK?

sending pressie to UK?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future
Default sending pressie to UK?

hi
sending my sisters 18th b'day pressie to the uk, a piece of jewellry and a cuddly, is it likely to get collared by customs?
Do I mark it gift?
If they unwrap it, do they then send it to her unwrapped?
Thanks
Gothchick_one
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:02 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: sending pressie to UK?

Originally Posted by Gothchick
hi
sending my sisters 18th b'day pressie to the uk, a piece of jewellry and a cuddly, is it likely to get collared by customs?
Do I mark it gift?
Thanks
Gothchick_one
I send lots of presents to UK and they all get there un-opened and in one piece. I mark them as gift and i also have to declare what the item actually is.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just tick the gift box. I refuse to put in detail what the gift is - it pisses me off I just put "trinket" on the form (assuming I am sending jewellery) and it's always got through unopened.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just tick the gift box. I refuse to put in detail what the gift is - it pisses me off I just put "trinket" on the form (assuming I am sending jewellery) and it's always got through unopened.
I don't like having to declare what the item is either, it spoils the surprise completely at the other end
But on one occasion i declared i was sending something i wasn't (it was purfume) and it still got through ok....apparentley you're not supposed to send purfume.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I don't like having to declare what the item is either, it spoils the surprise completely at the other end
But on one occasion i declared i was sending something i wasn't (it was purfume) and it still got through ok....apparentley you're not supposed to send purfume.
i always put something vague like
souvenier
toiletries
leather goods
lollies
clothing

Again i think it spoils the surprise if they can just read whats in the box when they get it!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

hi

thanks to all of you, will send it off today.
Hope it arrives unopened.

Gothchick
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future

i was advised by the guy at the post office to never put jewelry,he said to put costume jewelry as items have been known to go missing!! apart from that never had a problem. we`ve had parcels arrive here that have been opened though!
hi
Do I mark it gift?
Thanks
Gothchick_one
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

sjuk27 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
Do I mark it gift?
Thanks
Gothchick_one
I work for a well known courier company and UK recipients often get stung with VAT for reli's sending pressies/gifts over. If you are using either courier or post then remember that the value of goods cannot be more than 18gbp so make sure that the amount you write on the declaration is less than that, I have known recipients to be lumbered with a £20 bill for £2.50 VAT charge for the company using their own money to clear the goods through customs. And finally if you are sending it via post as others have said please don't mark it "jewellery", although we like to think that we can trust our posties some of them will pilfer from the mail......

I hope this helps