Reload this Page >

Sending MTB Belfast - Sydney?

Sending MTB Belfast - Sydney?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Sending MTB Belfast - Sydney?

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew how (or of a thread that covered) to go about sending a mountain bike from Belfast/Ireland/UK to Sydney at a reasonable rate.
Tried a few online sites but can't get a quote, tried BA and they were looking at a minimum of £280 plus other costs.
Any help or advice appreciated even if its a "I tried it mate and its not worth the hassle."
Cheers.
Oh ah FYI yesterday it was 26oC Bbbrrrrrrrr winter weather!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sending MTB Belfast - Sydney?

I shipped my mountain bike from the UK to Australia using excess baggage. I think it was around the 100 pound mark. It took about 2 months to turn up.

I also washed it down to remove mud and grime.

The handlebars and front wheel had to be removed for the bike to fit in the box. Other than that no issues really.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi I did a bit of a search assuming you were referring to a company called 'Excess Baggage' http://www.excess-baggage.com/index.php is this who you are referring to?
Thanks for the reply, trying to get it here before the 'real' summer kicks in.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that's them.

Look at:
http://www.excess-baggage.com/baggag...to_packing.php

a picture of the bike box is listed.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Excellent thanks very much for your help.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at buying one from the UK because they were cheaper and Evans Cycles charge 90 pounds to Australia for a bike.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Considering that it may be worth my while contacting them and asking who they use or for any advice. The bike was orignally bought from Dales. Not overly expensive by some standards but a decent bike that didn't get much abuse. Giant XTC SX
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

My bike was fairly new when I moved here, and my sponsoring organisation paid for my stuff to be shipped over as part of my package