Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sending money for birthday pressies

sending money for birthday pressies

Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Question sending money for birthday pressies

Hi, just wondered if anyone has any idea of how my family can send money for my daughters birthday. For some reason they dont want to buy presents but would like to send money instead. I no longer have an English bank account so that is out. I suggested paypal but that seems to be too technical for them. What does everyone else do?

I opened a commonwealth bank account from England and they set me up with a transfer account that i could pay money in to from there but could not get my paws on it until i arrived in Oz to activate the account. Does anyone know if the transfer part is then closed after activation?

thanks for any advice, Jan
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:50 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sending money for birthday pressies

Originally Posted by thebardies
Hi, just wondered if anyone has any idea of how my family can send money for my daughters birthday. For some reason they dont want to buy presents but would like to send money instead. I no longer have an English bank account so that is out. I suggested paypal but that seems to be too technical for them. What does everyone else do?

I opened a commonwealth bank account from England and they set me up with a transfer account that i could pay money in to from there but could not get my paws on it until i arrived in Oz to activate the account. Does anyone know if the transfer part is then closed after activation?

can you not just tell them your bank account details in oz and get a transfer?

otherwise set up a uk account online and then get them to pay in to your uk accoiunt and go online and transfer the money across yourself if that works.

otherwise use http://www.tranzfers.com and they have to set up an account to your account as paying in account and then they can transfer funds at £7 a pop/

otherwise email them with step by step instructions to set up paypal
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My kids get cash sent through Western Union, really easy to do from the UK. Most post offices or travel agents do it, or they can do it by phone or internet.

When it's sent you just need to go to any post office, or one of the many other places available to collect it. They give the person sending it a reference number which you have to quote to pick it up. One thing to bear in mind is that only the person named by the purchaser can pick it up, so tell them who's name to put it in.

Here's the site for more info. http://www.westernunion.co.uk/info/h...asp?country=GB
Old May 1st 2007, 12:00 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My kids get cash sent through Western Union, really easy to do from the UK. Most post offices or travel agents do it, or they can do it by phone or internet.

When it's sent you just need to go to any post office, or one of the many other places available to collect it. They give the person sending it a reference number which you have to quote to pick it up. One thing to bear in mind is that only the person named by the purchaser can pick it up, so tell them who's name to put it in.

Here's the site for more info. http://www.westernunion.co.uk/info/h...asp?country=GB
Great answer wends

cheers
Old May 1st 2007, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Great answer wends

cheers

You're welcome. I don't know how much they charge for sending it, but it doesn't cost anything to withdraw
Old May 1st 2007, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

Ah i forgot all about Western Union. I will try that one then. Thanks so much for the replies, Jan
Old May 1st 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebardies

Hi,
I needed to send money from OZ to the UK awhile ago,so i went to the travel agent and they gave me a card (cash passport)to put money into (this last 2 years,) so i sent it through the post and when the person received it, i then texted them the pin number, and it could be drawn out at most cash point machines.If i need to put more money into it ,i just to go to the Travel agent with the card number,it kind of works like a bank account.
So im guessing it must be possible to do it from the UK to OZ.
Hope this helps
sue