Reload this Page >

Selling your own house

Selling your own house

Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:03 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road
Default Selling your own house

Has anyone thought of selling your own home - personally I haven't as when it goes on the market (hopefully at the end of this month) I want everything to happen asap but a friend who has just sold her home (through an agent) says she will be selling her next one on her own as what she had to pay the agent was not worth it. Now she has me thinking!

Does anyone know how to go about it?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:29 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling your own house

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

http://www.browse4homes.co.uk/?DocID=1&a=1

Good Luck

At the moment we have ours with an agent - no viewings in 4 weeks - but very softly approach so far, but now hols are over we have a board up and adverts in papers, internet etc so we wait to see!!

House down the road has just sold; I guess it depends on if your house is in demand ie 1st or 2nd time buyers are more likely to buy privately -IMHO.

Enough rambling for now - go to the link!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjj
Has anyone thought of selling your own home - personally I haven't as when it goes on the market (hopefully at the end of this month) I want everything to happen asap but a friend who has just sold her home (through an agent) says she will be selling her next one on her own as what she had to pay the agent was not worth it. Now she has me thinking!

I sold mine online. I used www.thelittlehousecompany.co.uk

You can use them at the same time as an agent (that is what I did) because they themselves are not classed as agents so you dont get into this sole agent only debarcle.

It cost about £120 i recall and basically your house gets put on all the major internet house selling/buying sites such as fish4, rightmove,etc (which you can only advertise on through an agent normally)

In the end having sold through the internet it saved me just short of £3K so i was well chuffed with that. One thing to bear in mind though. If you want an easy (if there is such a thing) sale where you just leave it to someone else to chase, then go with an agent. You will need to play an active role in the process if you sell it yourself

Cheers
Dave
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:38 am
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point

We've tried selling our house both privately and through an agent. Currently under offer for the second time using an agent though - 1st buyer pulled out two days before signing the contract We are loathe to pay the estate agent their money, when it's been us showing people round the house, filling out all the paperwork - all they did effectively was advertise in the paper and take a few phonecalls and they want £3k for it!

I posted some of the free internet sites that I used to advertise my property a while back, there's loads out there, and we got many more viewings from that than we did from the estate agents, just that none of the private viewers made an offer. It does depend what you want and whether you can try to set your feelings aside about your home when complete strangers come in and try to knock down the price because they don't like your decor or whatever!

Hopefully this sale will go through, otherwise we'll be renting out the house while we move to Oz

Good luck!

Lisa
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:16 pm
jjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by l_jg
We've tried selling our house both privately and through an agent. Currently under offer for the second time using an agent though - 1st buyer pulled out two days before signing the contract We are loathe to pay the estate agent their money, when it's been us showing people round the house, filling out all the paperwork - all they did effectively was advertise in the paper and take a few phonecalls and they want £3k for it!

I posted some of the free internet sites that I used to advertise my property a while back, there's loads out there, and we got many more viewings from that than we did from the estate agents, just that none of the private viewers made an offer. It does depend what you want and whether you can try to set your feelings aside about your home when complete strangers come in and try to knock down the price because they don't like your decor or whatever!

Hopefully this sale will go through, otherwise we'll be renting out the house while we move to Oz

Good luck!

Lisa

LOTS AND LOTS OF LUCK TO YOU LISA

I hope the sale goes through asap for you thanx for the info at the moment I am not sure which way we are going to sell the house - we have another couple of weeks before it will be on the market
Jeanette
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:23 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jjj

We would definitely consider it next time. Having a nightmare with our agent. Only in paper on 8th July and 15th July, they then put it back in on 2nd September and that was only because I went a bit nutty on them the week before. I've been told there has been viewings and there hasn't, have had 2 that I know turned up and 3 that failed to show and agent hasn't even bothered to find out why. We'll give them a few more weeks and then maybe go it alone. Best of luck selling your house.
Sarah
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:21 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by teach
We would definitely consider it next time. Having a nightmare with our agent. Only in paper on 8th July and 15th July, they then put it back in on 2nd September and that was only because I went a bit nutty on them the week before. I've been told there has been viewings and there hasn't, have had 2 that I know turned up and 3 that failed to show and agent hasn't even bothered to find out why. We'll give them a few more weeks and then maybe go it alone. Best of luck selling your house.
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
We are from Newport in South Wales and we're trying to sell our house and our estate agent only out our advert in the Argus (local paper) twice and now this week, it's not been advertised!!!
We're going to see our agent tomorrow to ask why it's not in the paper this week and tell them we'e not happy and to ask them why they think we've only had one viewing so far, when they told us we'd have no problem getting a buyer straight away!!
Which Estate Agent are you using??
Where in Oz are you heading, we're off to Brisbane (if we ever sell the damn house).
Shell
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjj

Sold my UK place privately. Saved a few big ones in commission.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:54 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

I have my house advertised on all of these websites.....not that they've been much use But hey....what have we got to lose....they're free.

My house has been on the market since January with to date about 4 or 5 viewings in total and 1 stupid offer by a pair in cloud cookoo land. I'm beginning to feel there's a huge sign above my house saying 'DON'T BUY ME I BELONG TO THE LOSER FAMILY'

www.movehomeonline.co.uk
www.thatstheoneforme.co.uk
www.houseladder.co.uk
www.estateagent.co.uk
www.propertylocator.co.uk
www.thehouseexchange.co.uk
www.homesonsale.co.uk
www.homeswithoutagents.com
www.homes-uk.co.uk
www.quickbeforeitsgone.co.uk
www.easier.com

Hope these help
Petra
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:59 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm puting an advert on http://www.thelittlehousecompany.co.uk/. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:38 am
jjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Don
Sold my UK place privately. Saved a few big ones in commission.

Hi Don
Did you advertise on the net or was it someone you know?

Sorry if the next one is a stupid question but have never sold in the UK so here goes .......

Once u advertised and received an acceptable offer did your solicitors then deal with the sale?

Thanks in advance
Jeanette
Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:48 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjj
Hi Don
Did you advertise on the net or was it someone you know?

Sorry if the next one is a stupid question but have never sold in the UK so here goes .......

Once u advertised and received an acceptable offer did your solicitors then deal with the sale?

Thanks in advance
Jeanette
Hmmm my game is up...it was to someone I knew slightly so I didn't need to advertise. Solicitors dealt with everything once I'd negotiated on selling price, as I was abroad.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:35 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Sarah,
We are from Newport in South Wales and we're trying to sell our house and our estate agent only out our advert in the Argus (local paper) twice and now this week, it's not been advertised!!!
We're going to see our agent tomorrow to ask why it's not in the paper this week and tell them we'e not happy and to ask them why they think we've only had one viewing so far, when they told us we'd have no problem getting a buyer straight away!!
Which Estate Agent are you using??
Where in Oz are you heading, we're off to Brisbane (if we ever sell the damn house).
Shell
Hiya Shell,
We are using Crook and Blight, they told us pretty much the same as you. Oh you have a beautiful house, we won't have any probs getting a buyer. What Twaddle. Have spoken to them again so hopefully will be in the Argus this week. We have also put house with Richard Tuck, my dad's company and they have a viewing tomorrow. Told Crooks that we wanted same deal even though they won't be sole selling agent, so have £950 + VAT. If Tucks sell house we can walk away from Crooks as they failed to send us any contract.
We are also off to Brissie, or at least within an hour and a half of it. Not got our visa yet, but will stay with Andrew's parents when house is sold, need to get it sorted in case they ask for bond.
Good luck with yours. Send me an e-mail.
Sarah
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teach
We are using Crook and Blight,
Please tell me that is not the real name of the estate agents :scared:
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:55 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Please tell me that is not the real name of the estate agents :scared:
Yes it is, didn't really think about it until now, lol.
Sarah