Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling in the UK - buying in Sydney

Selling in the UK - buying in Sydney

Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road
Default Selling in the UK - buying in Sydney

A few questions to those with experience in selling their UK property and then buying in Oz

We have let our house to tenants for a year (contract will end April 07) but are thinking of selling to buy a property in Sydney. Firstly, what is the required notice period for tenants?

Also, once the sale is completed in the UK is transferring funds subject to tax tec.

It's early days but we have our PR status and are now keen to get in to the market. Any advice would be great

ta
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling in the UK - buying in Sydney

Originally Posted by easygroove
A few questions to those with experience in selling their UK property and then buying in Oz

We have let our house to tenants for a year (contract will end April 07) but are thinking of selling to buy a property in Sydney. Firstly, what is the required notice period for tenants?

Also, once the sale is completed in the UK is transferring funds subject to tax tec.

It's early days but we have our PR status and are now keen to get in to the market. Any advice would be great

ta
You should serve a section 8 notice upon the tenants which gives them 2 months notice to quit.

You do not pay CGT on sale of your primary home, however since this has been let out you might end up paying a small amount of CGT which would depend on the periods of occupation by you etc. You should probably seek legal advice on that, but ultimately self assessment is exactly that I guess
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
You should serve a section 8 notice upon the tenants which gives them 2 months notice to quit.

You do not pay CGT on sale of your primary home, however since this has been let out you might end up paying a small amount of CGT which would depend on the periods of occupation by you etc. You should probably seek legal advice on that, but ultimately self assessment is exactly that I guess
Check the inland revenue website. If the property was your family home before you moved for at least a little while , u wont end up having to pay capital gains.....renting out such a property give you all sorts of "reliefs"....such as something called "rent relief" where the govt ignores a proportion of the gain.

With deductions such as costs (survey legal etc) of PURCHASE of the UK property, as well as costs of sale, rent relief, and CGT thresholds I think you'll find that you'll do fine....based on the limited info u have givin.

Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to check your contract too, most of them have the standard 2 months in them but I came across a couple of agencies whose standard contract differed from that when I was researching into renting out our property.

With regards to transfering the money, it's best to find out directly from the ATO and get a response in writing, I have heard different stories depending on who is telling you and indeed at times on which body they have asked the question.