Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling Property in the South East of England

Wikiposts

Selling Property in the South East of England

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:20 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

It will be very slow until after Christmas but being on their books will give them an opportunity to advise their good clients of its availability. The agents will advise you about the price put it on about 6k higher than you expect to get and expect a low offer but this gives you a chance to haggle without being face to face - the agent does all that. Don't forget to screw the agent down to a lower percent price for the sale if you can - do it nicely with a smile and a laugh and you will be surprised what you will get I got 1% and their usual was 1 3/4%
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't think that they would reduce the percentage costs of selling,but thanks for pointing that out.
I will have a go or maybe let my hubby do it.
Hes much better with things like that

I am going to get another valuation done as we last had it valued in July03 and i had thought that property prices had risen slightly since then.
I will have to see what they value it at now and then like you say stick it on the market that little bit higher to allow for the offers

Thanks once again

Diane

Originally posted by yafm
It will be very slow until after Christmas but being on their books will give them an opportunity to advise their good clients of its availability. The agents will advise you about the price put it on about 6k higher than you expect to get and expect a low offer but this gives you a chance to haggle without being face to face - the agent does all that. Don't forget to screw the agent down to a lower percent price for the sale if you can - do it nicely with a smile and a laugh and you will be surprised what you will get I got 1% and their usual was 1 3/4%
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:54 am
Just Joined

markcrute is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont loose hope.

We must have bucked the trend. OR BEEN VERY LUCKY

House went on the market on 29 th October. 1 viewing- and he gave us the full asking price TODAY.

FINGERS CROSSED EVERYTHING MOVES SWIFTLY WITH NO PROBS

LAURIE
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:12 am
Badge

Default Re:lull in housing market -NW england

Originally posted by dibrucewillis

We did have somebody make us an offer back in August and it wasn't a very good offer( £18k less than asking price) and I was very insulted by it.
Diane
I am very sympathetic. At the end of the day your house is worth what people will pay for it. House prices are now too high - fact. Mortgage companies have upped their rates 1pc this week - may be wrong. My brother can't believe the money I have made in 3 years and thinks its immoral that people make money out of other people's housing miseries, fears and doubts.

I sold mine for quite a bit less 5k less on a 2 bed flat but that's better than being in negative equity.

Best of luck

Badge

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

It's great to get an offer, but unfortuantely that is the easy part. The hard part is to get them to exchange. It's a sad fact that all this is out of your control and the chain can fall down at any point. Keep chasing them, and push them because if they are serious then they will sort it out. You can think that pushing them too hard will scare them off but put yourself in their shoes, if you were really keen on buying a house and really wanted it then you would try to push it along quickly. If they stall then maybe there isn't the commitment from their side and it's better to know that early on so that you can get it back on the market without wasting too much time. It's a bit stressful but just hang in there.

Adrian
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by markcrute
Dont loose hope.

We must have bucked the trend. OR BEEN VERY LUCKY

House went on the market on 29 th October. 1 viewing- and he gave us the full asking price TODAY.

FINGERS CROSSED EVERYTHING MOVES SWIFTLY WITH NO PROBS

LAURIE

Hi Laurie

Can I ask whereabouts you're based in the UK and what type of property you've jsut sold - purely for compare and contrast reasons.

I would just love to have the opportunity to show someone round my house!

Jo
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
I didn't think that they would reduce the percentage costs of selling,but thanks for pointing that out.
I will have a go or maybe let my hubby do it.
Hes much better with things like that

I am going to get another valuation done as we last had it valued in July03 and i had thought that property prices had risen slightly since then.
I will have to see what they value it at now and then like you say stick it on the market that little bit higher to allow for the offers

Thanks once again

Diane
Hi Diane

I battled our Agents down from 2.5% to 1.1% - nothing ventured nothing gained!! Although am wondering if I offered to pay the full 2.5% they would have got their backsides into gear and I'd have had a purchaser???

Jo
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

great advice about bartering with the agents we got ours down to 1% as well. Also you might save a few grand on costs not having an agent, but a good agent can get you a higher price than what they cost.

The most important thing i think you can do is to present your property immaculately. This way at least if you get buyers round they are more likely to choose your house than the average one up the road. We spent a lot of time 'House Doctoring' ours, there were 3 other houses the same for sale and we ended up have 2 buyers wanting ours and not the others! The only reason for this was ours was recently decorated and looked good. People are so superficial when they come round they always look at these sort of things, so it might be worth you spending a bit on painting, accessories etc if you haven't already done this.

Good luck, I hope it sells soon.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

We are in the same situation. Our house in Essex has been up for sale since the end of June and only a couple of viewers. I am now in the process of getting a new agent. I was also wondering if they had been lazy because I had insisted on a lower percentage.

Good luck.
Debs
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:10 am
Just Joined

markcrute is an unknown quantity at this point

Southampton for our sins

we have a 4 bed terraced.

the couple buying did seem a little "different"
who offers full asking in this housing climate.

hope all goes well for you

Laurie
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default yafm

Originally posted by yafm
1.3/4%
wow, we charge an average of 2.5% maybe thats why we only have 12 avaliable properties on our books!
regards
rach
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My place has been up for sale since 1st August. I have had 8 viewings, 4 in the last two weeks. Three of the viewers have said they are going to make offers. The first person to offer has offered 13% under the asking price, even the estate agent told them to raise it before letting us know. There is no way we will accept that much of a drop.

It does seem (to me) that there is a sudden burst of interest at the moment, possibly caused by the talk of interest rises.

I just re-read that last line

Phil.

ps bond requested today!!!! (139)

pps our agent is taking 1.65%
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:10 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Good luck on your offer from the first viewer. However as I know from bitter experience as a seller and as an estate agent it is likely that the perfect buyer will ask for a reduction of £6/£7k one day before exchange as they know you are tied into the chain and don't want to lose the sale. Get rid of the time waster at the very biggining. Put into your memorandum of sale 'there will be no further negotiation on price' this will get rid of the time wasters before they have wasted 8/9 weeks and then change their minds. It worked for me twice.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I was speaking to my old ma last night (Wendover, Bucks) and she said NOTHING was selling there at any price. Sorry to add gloom.