The 2c thing

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:20 am
Badge

Default The 2c thing

Took me MONTHS to realise this was even in operation. Maybe I'm not a whinging pom type who would have picked up on such a difference in the first few minutes (joke).

On reflection, all the wasted time looking for an alternative cos I only had a dollar and didn't want to spend 1.02.

Or, hanging around waiting for the change on a 98c packet of chips etc.

I read somewhere where people buy certain items seperately to get a big 'save'.

Do the shops end up statistically profitting from this, or is it win some, lose some amd therefore breaking even.

Badge

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:31 am
WBB

Default Re: The 2c thing

Originally posted by badgersmount
Took me MONTHS to realise this was even in operation. Maybe I'm not a whinging pom type who would have picked up on such a difference in the first few minutes (joke).

On reflection, all the wasted time looking for an alternative cos I only had a dollar and didn't want to spend 1.02.

Do the shops end up statistically profitting from this, or is it win some, lose some amd therefore breaking even.

Badge
what is is badge????

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:33 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
what is is badge????

The smallest coin Billy, is 5c, yet the daft shops insist on charging 99c or 96c for things.

I am not really bothered by the loss of 1c....it just annoys me that the shops don't price things up to the nearest 5.

I am petty
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:34 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
The smallest coin Billy, is 5c, yet the daft shops insist on charging 99c or 96c for things.

I am not really bothered by the loss of 1c....it just annoys me that the shops don't price things up to the nearest 5.

I am petty
ahh right, did'nt even notice this when i was there.

must have too much money...lol

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:37 am
Badge

are you asking for clarification on what the 2c thing is?

its when - as Pete said - when as there is no coinage less than 5c, shops round to the nearest 5. There was 2c coins, and I dare say, a cent, but they were, I think phased out not so long ago.

So, a 98c packet of soap is a dollar, a 1.02 packet of stew is a dollar.

Great idea. Sick of the change.

As Pete says, though, what is annoying, is why not just price to reflect this - but in a bigger shop, with multiple items, where different items are rounded up and down, you'd lose/win on the adjustments and everyone would lose out sooner or later.

Any mathematicians who can work out the rounding, and how many things they bought in order to take out the save? eg. I won't buy any more as it will take up my total and round up..

;-)

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 3rd 2003 at 3:30 pm.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:40 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

are you asking for clarification on what the 2c thing is?

its when - as Pete said - when as there is no coinage less than 5c, shops round to the nearest 5.

So a 98c packet of soap is a dollar, a 1.02 packet of stew is a dollar.

Great idea. Sick of the change.
As Pete says, what is annoying, is why not just price to reflect this - but in a bigger shop, with multiple items, where different items are rounded up and down, you'd lose/win on the adjustments and everyone would lose out sooner or later.

Any mathematicians who can work out the rounding, and how many things they bought in order to take out the save? eg. I won't buy any more as it will take up my total and round up..

;-)

Badge
I should add... That whenever i buy petrol and pay cash, i always buy an extra couple of cents (like $30.02)
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:45 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
I should add... That whenever i buy petrol and pay cash, i always buy an extra couple of cents (like $30.02)

over a year you are probably getting an extra gallon or two.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:45 am
WBB

Originally posted by welshboybilly
over a year you are probably getting an extra gallon or two.

or should i be talking in litre's now.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:49 am
tennisoz

Badge
Yes, marketing people will tell you that 0.99 is a lot cheaper than 1.00; 1.99 is cheaper than 2.00 etc. I guess this is why businesses still price things this way. I too get my extra 2 cents worth of petrol

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:42 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Badge
JUST buy it on the CARD it,s illegal in oz to round it up........
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:48 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

If the system doesn't create change, why do I have a purse full of 5c's
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:40 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Jirrupin.

The reasone why you have a purse full of 5c's is so you feel you have lots of money, only to find that you don't when you try and buy something.

It's one of those things that no one can explain.
I just tip all my change in a dish at home and then let it collect dust.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:42 am
Badge

which you then raid - a month later - for your train fare - *train coming in 10 mins AND a queue for the ticket office with permit to travel machine OFF***

and you think "sweet"!!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:44 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by markeh
Hi Jirrupin.

The reasone why you have a purse full of 5c's is so you feel you have lots of money, only to find that you don't when you try and buy something.

It's one of those things that no one can explain.
I just tip all my change in a dish at home and then let it collect dust.

Bye
Markeh

And then one day you take it to the bank and its worth mroe than you thought!! I took my collection of 5, 10 and 20ps from about 3 years of emptying change out of my pocket into one of those huge whisky bottles (which i got free from a pub i might add i did'nt drink it all!), to the bank in preparation for my move. Would you believe there was 52 pound in there!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:37 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The joy of Roundings

Never thought of it that way.

So if its $30.01 or .02 - we get charged $30.00 and if its $30.03 or .04 then we get charged $30.05.

Wonder how much the stores make on this.

2c x 100,000 people x 365 days = $730,000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.