Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling my business

Wikiposts

Selling my business

Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:19 am
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default Selling my business

I have a nice little web site/photography business here in the UK

The draw for Aus is more than that of the Business (which I really enjoy and am proud of) - what are the best steps to off load it - client base, equipment, knowledge etc??

I have no employees and I suppose I cuold up and leave but I have some international companies and great portfolio.

Could I take is to Perth with me???

Any ideas

John
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:21 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling my business

I take it you dont want to carry on in Perth?

I'm taking my business with me, I have several clients who have already agreed that they are happy for me to continue working for them when we get there plus I hope to attract some Oz-based clients once we're settled.

Dont know if this is any help?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=sell+business

Last edited by bridiej; Apr 25th 2005 at 12:24 am.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:25 am
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridiej
I take it you dont want to carry on in Perth?

I'm taking my business with me, I have several clients who have already agreed that they are happy for me to continue working for them when we get there plus I hope to attract some Oz-based clients once we're settled.

I am more photography based, which needs a visit. - I have contacts here who can do this.

I don`t know really what to do!!!

john

www.flash360.net
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:28 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, looks fantastic!

It's a tricky one, I'm not honestly sure of all the ins and outs but it would be great if you could find someone prepared to run the UK company for you whilst you still keep control and get a cut of the profits, while you set up one in Oz.

Not sure if I'm helping much.... sorry!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Widdi

The draw for Aus is more than that of the Business (which I really enjoy and am proud of) - what are the best steps to off load it - client base, equipment, knowledge etc??

I have no employees and I suppose I cuold up and leave but I have some international companies and great portfolio.

Any ideas

John
Hi John,
I put staff in place for my UK business when I moved to Perth.

A business that relies on it's owner or directors is unfortunately worth nothing, that is why I have distanced myself from it. I still work part time for my business but am building my new business over here at the same time.

I guess it depends on what visa you are coming over on... business visa requires certain criteria to stay. PR visa is permenant and gives you freedom to do as you please. If you have core clients that whos income at least gives you a living take them with you..... loose the rest.

Keep in touch when you come I am in the internet business (top 10 UK e-commerce providers)... we could collaborate!

Good Luck
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steveyp
Hi John,
I put staff in place for my UK business when I moved to Perth.

A business that relies on it's owner or directors is unfortunately worth nothing, that is why I have distanced myself from it. I still work part time for my business but am building my new business over here at the same time.

I guess it depends on what visa you are coming over on... business visa requires certain criteria to stay. PR visa is permenant and gives you freedom to do as you please. If you have core clients that whos income at least gives you a living take them with you..... loose the rest.

Keep in touch when you come I am in the internet business (top 10 UK e-commerce providers)... we could collaborate!

Good Luck
Thanks for the kind info!

I prefer to work with resellers here in the UK (web designers) who like to have these high quality Virtual tours in their products but don`t have the capital or knowledge to do them. (the cameras are upto £16,000)

So I would prefer to do the same in Australia than constantly looking for business!

I have has success with tourism industry here and would like to do the same for WA! But don`t know where to start.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:12 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Best off just preparing a great portfolio and meeting/greeting people when you get to Perth. Most companies in W.A. prefer to use eithe W.A. or Aus companies for things, as there`s been a big push by govt. to use local companies for a long time (something the UK could benefit from). Companies go through accreditation and obtain the rights to use the official `made in w.a.` logo etc.

I`m very into web design myself (and also dvd authoring) and was thinking of setting up something in Perth. It`s hard though to know what the market there needs/can afford until we get there though. I`ll use the 2 months waiting for my equipment to do lots of research. I arrive there 14th of June.

Maybe we should all do a business together???
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:42 am
Oxygen Pig

TRIMIX will become famous soon enoughTRIMIX will become famous soon enough

Why not take it with you this technology is already being used in Oz with house builders and sellers looks like a great opportuinity for you out there. I must also say they are good !
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

I've specificically set up a new business venture in web design and will be hoping to carry on with it when/if we get over there.

I bought the .com as well as the .co.uk domain names for this reason and its something those who are hoping to set up over there may want to think about too, if you havent already done so

Good luck everyone.

Regards
Karen

www.Animpact-design.co.uk
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I bought the .com as well as the .co.uk domain names for this reason
It may be worth looking at the .com.au option also, even if just to stop a competitor getting it Useful to reach those people who always do country specific searches for things.

Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Widdi

Any ideas

John
I would look at running it from Perth if you possibly can, otherwise see how a business broker in the UK can help in getting you a buyer.

But, if deciding to sell, it's the "Regular" client base that would create the value.

I've sold 3 businesses in the UK in the past, and they were all "interesting" times