Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Devastation at the Prom

Devastation at the Prom

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Devastation at the Prom

I am totally devastated that Wilsons Prom has had such a devastating bush fire. Its one of the most beautiful places on earth and has a very special feel about it too.

I got this picture from a news site and its shocking for anyone thats been there. I was there about 5 weeks ago and this part of the Prom was thick green trees and vegitation as far as the eye could see. I am so glad i have so many photos of it before this......

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Nation...152321838.html
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devastation at the Prom

Originally Posted by hevs
I am totally devastated that Wilsons Prom has had such a devastating bush fire. Its one of the most beautiful places on earth and has a very special feel about it too.

I got this picture from a news site and its shocking for anyone thats been there. I was there about 5 weeks ago and this part of the Prom was thick green trees and vegitation as far as the eye could see. I am so glad i have so many photos of it before this......

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Nation...152321838.html
The final comment is telling:
"It's not destruction, it's rejuvenation."

The speed at which the Australian bush regenerates after a fire is something that surprises foreigners.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I know, I know, but in the meantime it looks incredibly sad and totally wrecked. We were going to go camp there with some friends and being the kind of people who never watch the news or read a bloody newspaper we arrived at our beaut campspot to find ashes & devastation Very very sad.

But I suppose it will bring us some species which we haven't seen for a while. Those elusive ones that need a good fire to pop their seedscases.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
I know, I know, but in the meantime it looks incredibly sad and totally wrecked. We were going to go camp there with some friends and being the kind of people who never watch the news or read a bloody newspaper we arrived at our beaut campspot to find ashes & devastation Very very sad.

But I suppose it will bring us some species which we haven't seen for a while. Those elusive ones that need a good fire to pop their seedscases.

Some people will make a special effort to see the park in the next few months as the rejvenation begins (not a common sight), especially if there is a lot of rain.

You're right though, in the *immediate* aftermath, things look pretty forlorn and it will be a few years before things get back to normal.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 10:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Some people will make a special effort to see the park in the next few months as the rejvenation begins (not a common sight), especially if there is a lot of rain.
How many months?? Might be worth a look as we had planned to go there again before winter..........
Old Apr 24th 2005, 12:04 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by hevs
How many months?? Might be worth a look as we had planned to go there again before winter..........
Talk to the park rangers - also bear in mind that they will probably keep areas closed until trail marks and picnic areas can be repaired.

Jeremy
Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The final comment is telling:
"It's not destruction, it's rejuvenation."

The speed at which the Australian bush regenerates after a fire is something that surprises foreigners.

Jeremy
There is a natural lifecycle involving fire but the current concern is the increased frequency of the fires due to non natural reasons. Anyone know when the last bush fire was at the Prom?

If I remember rightly 7 years is the natural cycle length.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:57 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bondipom
There is a natural lifecycle involving fire but the current concern is the increased frequency of the fires due to non natural reasons. Anyone know when the last bush fire was at the Prom?

If I remember rightly 7 years is the natural cycle length.
As it takes a number of years for the bush to regenerate, there's a limit to how closely you can have two serious fires in the same place.

Jeremy
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:46 am
Badge

The CFA are always being called out to sort out fires the Dept of Sustainability and Environment start.

We call them the 'Department of Scorched Earth'.

Badge

Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
The CFA are always being called out to sort out fires the Dept of Sustainability and Environment start.

We call them the 'Department of Scorched Earth'.

Badge
Not nice to have to clear up after them. Do you let the fuel build up ready for a huge fire or regularly back burn? After large fires the authorities are normally blamed for not doing enough hazard reduction. The answers aren't easy and those living near the bush need to be prepared.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:42 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by bondipom
Not nice to have to clear up after them. Do you let the fuel build up ready for a huge fire or regularly back burn? After large fires the authorities are normally blamed for not doing enough hazard reduction. The answers aren't easy and those living near the bush need to be prepared.
I think theres a great case for back burning (did you read the link??) but during the cooler months when there is no risk of a sodding hot northely coming in Idiots .