Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling houses in Oz...How does it work?

Selling houses in Oz...How does it work?

Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Gym Junkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling houses in Oz...How does it work?

We built a lovely 4 bed home with pool and all the extras in North Lakes less than a year ago but really sadly have to sell up and move on due to family commitments.

Can anyone offer any advice and help me understand how the process works please? It all seems to happen really quickly here, i have heard that some contracts can be settled in 30 days. Is that correct? The worry that i have is that we will need to wait until we get an offer to be able to work out how much money we will end up with. However, that doesn't give us enough time to find somewhere else, put in an offer and then settle within 30 days.
How do you get the timings right as we could end up without anywhere to live potentially if both settlements don't tie up.

Any advice would be welcome as i'm totally confused at the moment!!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Selling houses in Oz...How does it work?

Originally Posted by Gym Junkie
We built a lovely 4 bed home with pool and all the extras in North Lakes less than a year ago but really sadly have to sell up and move on due to family commitments.

Can anyone offer any advice and help me understand how the process works please? It all seems to happen really quickly here, i have heard that some contracts can be settled in 30 days. Is that correct? The worry that i have is that we will need to wait until we get an offer to be able to work out how much money we will end up with. However, that doesn't give us enough time to find somewhere else, put in an offer and then settle within 30 days.
How do you get the timings right as we could end up without anywhere to live potentially if both settlements don't tie up.

Thanks in advance.
Phone a real estate agent theyd help you best

Hows about go in to a hotel for a week or 2
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gym Junkie

Thanks in advance.
It will cost alot of money to sell a house with an agent. $10 to 15 grand.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, our agent costing us $15K to sell ours

We've put in an offer already on a place we love which is subject to sale of our house.

Quite honestly wish I'd never signed up with an agent, could have done a better job myself than the agents we've got and for nothing...... you live and learn I guess....
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think http://www.gogecko.com.au/ are capped at about 6k

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
It will cost alot of money to sell a house with an agent. $10 to 15 grand.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:54 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

As Merlin said.. GoGecko are cheapest, but you pay all advertising, and they are exclusive agency listings only !!! So be aware of this.

My place is costing 21k to sell !!! Im not HAPPY !

When you , or if and when you find a buyer, then normal rules are this for the buyer...

5 days cooling off period.
2 weeks for building and pest and financials.
settlement 4-6 weeks from initial contract date.

So find the buyer, but stipulate you want extended settlement period, of say 60 days. But levae it open, so that should you be able to exchange quicker then you can.

Tiening everything up for simultaneous settlemnt is and can be a nightmare, hence we have conveyancers.

Good Luck
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people find houses on the web anyway, so it's hard to justify the 21k fee.

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
As Merlin said.. GoGecko are cheapest, but you pay all advertising, and they are exclusive agency listings only !!! So be aware of this.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:59 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt that the truth Merlin !

We had a HUGE row with a local agent.

I mean HUGE , like sleeves up, shirt tucked in, chest out, baseball cap on back 2 front.

They lost the contract on this because they would not discount their comission by 3k, to 18.5k

The cpl were devastated, and so were we at the time.

The agent showed, 3 ppl round, no advertising, no signage nothing.

So I reckon, 1 hr to initially value place, 3 hrs for the viewings in total, 1 hr to do contracts. 1 hr of miscellaneous bullshit.

All up $3k per hour ! Expenditure??? equals, about $50 and thats being generous !

I am so gonna set up a DIY SELL website, because as opposed to the UK, in Australia, who gives a crap what agents do or dont do, say or dont say. Nearly everyone gets the 3 main things done, Building, Pest and Finances

So all the agent is , is the vehicle. !

Sod that.

Ste
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Gym Junkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your comments guys..bloody expensive business eh?! Think i might get some agents round for a free valuation etc and then advertise it ourselves!