Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Is it just me, or is the house selling process a complete and utter nightmare?

We accepted an offer on our house at the begining of October and were still here!!! Our buyers are a pain, it's been "oh, we're waiting for this.......we haven't got that.......we've got this problem". It's just endless.

We've been expecting to exchange contracts "in a matter of days now" but the weeks just keep slipping by. We're losing confidence in the whole thing, but our solicitor says this is all normal.

Is this par for the course, or just me???

Mr. Grumpy
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Originally posted by cruisey

We accepted an offer on our house at the begining of October and were still here!!! Our buyers are a pain, it's been "oh, we're waiting for this.......we haven't got that.......we've got this problem". It's just endless.

We've been expecting to exchange contracts "in a matter of days now" but the weeks just keep slipping by. We're losing confidence in the whole thing, but our solicitor says this is all normal.

Mr. Grumpy
It's normal, a very slow & frustrating experience.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cruisey

Mr. Grumpy
I agree with you!!!!!!!!!!! We had an offer the 1st week in October and although there were no real big problems just a couple of little things we only exchanged 2 weeks ago.

Because the buyers were in a rush it completed last week. They were 1st time buyers and we are off to Oz so there was no chain and it was just a time consuming process.

HANG IN THERE IT WILL HAPPEN..... BUT YES YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS A NIGHTMARE!!!!!! The frustration of having to wait till its gone through till you can relax is really hard...

Good Luck!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:47 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

eeeewwww

I'm putting my house on the market next week.........and while it all goes on I'm gonna hide somewhere with a huge stash of red wine and wait for it all to be over......
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by artep
eeeewwww

I'm putting my house on the market next week.........and while it all goes on I'm gonna hide somewhere with a huge stash of red wine and wait for it all to be over......
Are you going to rent inbetween or hoping it all ties up very neatly?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:55 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'd like to think it would all tie up really nicely and we'd have maybe 2 weeks between completing and flying......but then I think I'd be living in cloud cuckoo land if I thought that could possibly happen!

So we'll prob rent for a while.....not sure if you can get rents in Pompey for less than 6 months tho...

Petra
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if you've seen my posts about our saga ....

We put our house on the market last January (2003). :scared:

We eventually got an offer that we accepted in early June. We set a provisional completion date for the end of August, went off on holiday and on our return got the news that our buyers had lost their cash investment buyer. Okay we thought, we will wait for them, we were in no particular rush, our visa application was only lodged in late February. So we wait, they sell again quickly and we set a provisional completion for end of October. This didn't happen either. They have a very 'picky' solicitor.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we eventually exchanged contracts on the 8th January after we issued an ultimatum!

They didn't try to knock us on price as I suspected they might, but all in all it's been an absolute nightmare.

We complete on the 30th January.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

You think you've had problems????

House put on the market Easter 2003...had buyer at full asking price before the sign had been put up !!
We then had 12 weeks of...."our buyers will sign on Friday and then we can sign" and then after 12 weeks our agent got a call saying they had a change of circumstances and were dropping out.....cost £480 to the solicitor
Another buyer appeared on the scene who had been watching what happened.........that was August!!......their mortgage company have had....surveyor....structural engineer....tree report.....drain report.....the only test they haven't done is Carbon dating!!
Exchanged contracts last week....shippers booked for 27th Jan.....Flight booked for 29th Jan........House SHOULD complete 12pm on the 30th Jan. A full 6 months after accepting their offer.

Fingers,Knees,Eyes Toes and anything else I can cross that nothing else goes wrong
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:28 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by artep
Well I'd like to think it would all tie up really nicely and we'd have maybe 2 weeks between completing and flying......but then I think I'd be living in cloud cuckoo land if I thought that could possibly happen!

So we'll prob rent for a while.....not sure if you can get rents in Pompey for less than 6 months tho...

Petra

We are doing this - but I was thinking if you sign a 6 month lease you can still give a month notice either way can't you?

God it's so long since we rented I can't remember

Max
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy G is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG ----- Ours wasn't very difficult at all - I am now pleased we didnt run into any of the problems and sagas that you have encountered I will keep my fingers & toes crossed for you all to get the 30th Jan COMPLETION done & dusted.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

While I was going through all the grief of selling the house....I got sent this by a pal.
I printed it out and framed it....it's staying there until the packers have been
Attached Thumbnails Selling the House - nightmare or not?-could-worse.jpg  
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

Our house has been on the market since August one offer which all collapsed now trying again but I am fed up with the whole process JUST WANT TO SELL URGH(we are in a tiny village)

Sally
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:49 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Barron Fam
Our house has been on the market since August one offer which all collapsed now trying again but I am fed up with the whole process JUST WANT TO SELL URGH(we are in a tiny village)

Sally

Have you de-cluttered, de-personanlized and all that house doctor bit? I just chucked all the kids stuff in the cupboard and rearranged the furniture a bit and it was all very staged!

This is our 8th house sale now so I have got used to it but it's still frustrating that some people don't buy the house - they buy the way you live in it so you have to make it like a show home.

I'm sure you've done all this anyway - the market is pretty slow. We were suprised to sell ours so quickly but to be honest not counting any chickens till that exchange!

Max
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

notts to perth is an unknown quantity at this point

To us getting the visas was a doddle compared to trying to sell our house!!
Started the application rollercoaster ride March 2002 hopefully be in Perth by the end of next month.
Hopefully.
Ian
ps Did I say hopefully.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

We have sorted ,decluttered ,coffee pot ,bread baking kids out !!the whole thing but the village next to ours is having an estate built so the new homes are more appealing at the moment but fingers crossed,just so frustrating

SAlly B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.