Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling the house....

selling the house....

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default selling the house....

Does anyone know how long a mortgage offer lasts for, our buyers are happy to wait till July (when we hope to be on our way)
We wondered if anyone else out there is selling their house without having their visa??
We don't want the buyers to spend money on a valuation/ survey until we hear from our agent, but if we leave it till April (which would be 4 months since it was lodged, and it looks as though thats about average) we may be cutting it a bit fine?

Just wondered how long a mortgage offer would last if they got on with the purchase say mid march??

Still don't want them to spend their £ incase we don't get our visas in time... any ideas???
thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling the house....

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Does anyone know how long a mortgage offer lasts for, our buyers are happy to wait till July (when we hope to be on our way)
We wondered if anyone else out there is selling their house without having their visa??
We don't want the buyers to spend money on a valuation/ survey until we hear from our agent, but if we leave it till April (which would be 4 months since it was lodged, and it looks as though thats about average) we may be cutting it a bit fine?

Just wondered how long a mortgage offer would last if they got on with the purchase say mid march??

Still don't want them to spend their £ incase we don't get our visas in time... any ideas???
thanks

The mortgage offer should be indefinate. Providing their circumstances don't change. It is only a guide to how much they can borrow, not to how much they have to spend.

However if say they have a motgage offer of say £100k, but a valuer values your house at say £95k, then usually the most the bank will lend on the house is £95k - first time buyer 100% mortgage or 90% (85,500) - any other mortgage.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:34 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
A formal written mortgage offer has a life span dependant on the lender's terms & conditions. Most are around 90 days.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:57 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
A formal written mortgage offer has a life span dependant on the lender's terms & conditions. Most are around 90 days.

Thanks I thought so, I wasn't sure if its 6 months, or as you say 90 days from mtg offer
Thanks
We'd best hold on then
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Thanks I thought so, I wasn't sure if its 6 months, or as you say 90 days from mtg offer
Thanks
We'd best hold on then
Hi if your buyers are wanting your house why don't you ask for a deposite of £5k it would put your mind at rest and if they pull out they loose not you?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:21 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

I would suggest that you exchange contracts as soon as you can with the completion date set for July. Lots of people on this forum have had their fingers burnt with buyers pulling out at the last minute
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:42 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by sme
I would suggest that you exchange contracts as soon as you can with the completion date set for July. Lots of people on this forum have had their fingers burnt with buyers pulling out at the last minute

Thanks for the advice, can you ask for deposits though? years a go it was a no no, cos solicitors wouldn't hear of it.
your not the first to suggest it either!
Thanks x
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice, can you ask for deposits though? years a go it was a no no, cos solicitors wouldn't hear of it.
Thanks x
Well i 'm sure you can ask for deposite iv'e seen it posted on here loads of times it's worth ckecking on nothing to loose
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:07 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks x

If you have exchanged aren't you legally obliged to complete sale or lose the deposit
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I think its normally fairly easy to extend mortgage offers. I remember a friend having to do it a number of years ago when it took 6 months to get issues with the lease on the flat she was buying sorted. As others have said I would certainly get them to exchange with a long completion as they can't pull out easily, if at all, after exchange.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Melbguy is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Typically a UK mortgage offer will last for three months from the date of issue. This can sometimes be extended, for example due to a problem chain. I would suggest that if your buyers are serious then they submit their full application but hold back on the survey until you have further news. Once you are sure then they can instruct their lenders survey and have a mortgage offer out quickly. I would also suggest that they instruct solicitors asap and have searches done again to speed up the process. If you need any further assistance email me.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Melbguy
Hi,
Typically a UK mortgage offer will last for three months from the date of issue. This can sometimes be extended, for example due to a problem chain. I would suggest that if your buyers are serious then they submit their full application but hold back on the survey until you have further news. Once you are sure then they can instruct their lenders survey and have a mortgage offer out quickly. I would also suggest that they instruct solicitors asap and have searches done again to speed up the process. If you need any further assistance email me.

Estate agents are loved on this site, I'm sure you will get on fine here.

Now get back to work.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:36 am
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by Melbguy
Hi,

Thanks Melbguy, so helpful, the buyers are calling tomorrow to show their parents round, I will suggest what you said.
Thanks