Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling cars before you go - help

Selling cars before you go - help

Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:31 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling cars before you go - help

Originally Posted by bridiej
Maybe if you've got good cars it's an idea to sell them months ahead of when you need to and just buy a banger to keep you going?

My car is hopefully going to my sis-in-law but it's not worth much now anyway (N reg Tigra) and Malc has a banger so it will just go to the scrap yard if we cant sell it for a few hundred.
I resent that I've had a banger for ages and I'm seriously considering driving it to the airport and leaving it in the car park
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:35 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
I resent that I've had a banger for ages and I'm seriously considering driving it to the airport and leaving it in the car park
LOL!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:55 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

We've been trying to sell our BMW for the last 3 weeks in Autotrader and not had anyone interested. Well, only about 200 canvassers!! Only bought it 12 months ago for £18,000 and one BMW garage has offered us £11,500

We're now going to try Ebay and put a reserve on it, anything above what the dealer is offering us is a bonus.

Hubby reckons Ive jinxed any sales because I dont want to sell it

Good luck all those selling cars.

Jo
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's a definite problem 'cos, as we all know, you HAVE to have transport until the last minute yet can't afford to leave yourself with an unsold car on emigration day.

Perhaps we've been lucky but, FWIW:

Sold loads of household and personal things over several boot sales and garage sales in Florida: printed out a sale notice for the car and displayed it at the sales. One lady bought some things, realised we looked after our kit and told her son who bought the car - allowed us to keep it until the day we left and met us at the airport with the cash.

In England arranged with a local garage to take the old Honda a couple of weeks before we left: we got a couple of hundred less that we might have got from a private sale but it was worth it to be sure of the sale. (We also advertised for free on preloved.com (great site, folks) and had several emails pleading for it after we'd agreed the sale.

Finally our almost new Accord I sold to a chap I played golf with: we lost a packet on it but got a premium on what the garages offered AND once again the buyer allowed us to keep it to the last minute - in fact he drove us up to Heathrow saving the taxi fare!

Short answer: if you can offload your car a few weeks in advance and keep it until you go it's worth a lot for the peace of mind. Just make sure you have a written agreement and hold non-returnable deposit so that the buyer isn't tempted to drop it and go elsewhere.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

HojuroGaja is on a distinguished road

I'm not surprised with your disappointment.

It happend to us last Saturday. We took our Ford Ka to a garage and they said 1,000 so we came back thinking we might have to accept it at the end with our flights booked for the 8th Aug.

We thought of autotrader website before giving up our hope and we received three phone calls within half an hour.

As we didn't have much time left and wanted to put it out of our way, we offered 1,450 on the website and the next day we sold the car to a couple who drove to Egham from Kent.

Good luck
Yeon
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:14 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

EBAY is the way - had 450 people lookng at my car if id been desperate to sell i could've sold it for 8500 3 times over but hung on for 9750

Put LOTS of photos - like 7 or 8 of them , inside, real close ups of the bodyowkr, tyres, door panels, seats, etc. Show it how it is lots of description etc.

If you take the reserve off you will sell it - but thats like it could go for 1 quid.

LEave reserve on it and then if it doesnt sell and you get stuck jsut start offering it to the people that bid on it one of them will tak eit.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sherman989
Hi

Just spent an afternoon trailing around car dealers trying to get one to buy our two cars. Its a joke they say the market is full of cars and second hand ones are worth a bean!.
My car is only a few years old low mileage and now they are telling me they can take it reluctantly off my hands for £ 1500, it was £12000 new!.
The other car is older and worth a little more.....

What have other people done to get a decent price, we don't want to be greedy but would appreciate £4000 for two good cars.
Anyone got any ideas?, should we give ebay ago, pay Autotrader.

What have you done or are going to do??

Thank your your help!!

Mandie & Sherman
Do you have Loot (free ads) in Devon

Also August is a really abd time to sell cars and houses, people are preoccupied with holidays

www.loot.com
Tara
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:08 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Spalen's right - E-bays winning bids are like everything else - negotiable. I had to settle for less than the winning price with one cash buyer because I unaccountably cost the service book the day before having advertised it as full service history. The other car I negotiated off line with a keen buyer as he offered me a good price early on for a vehicle with a low starting price and no reserve.
As for the second hand prices in Oz, I reckon we've done OK - a '97 Camry and a '99 Landcruiser for less than $26k altogether. You've just got to shop around.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:12 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

... oh and agree with Joanne on Autotrader ... all I got was constant pestering calls from someone guarenteeing me a sale if I paid them another £70.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:13 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by bal56
Flogged two on e-bay the week before we left. It's a bit of a nerve racking process as I set no reserve price and low starting prices to get rid. It worked OK though. The advantage of e-bay is the visibility of how much similar models sold for in the past, so with some research it's relatively easy to gauge what price you're likely to get (more so than through the car price guides, which seem completely inconsistent).
can you tell me how to view what similar vehicles sold for in the past please...? Ive just had a look and cant suss out where to go for that info
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:21 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
can you tell me how to view what similar vehicles sold for in the past please...? Ive just had a look and cant suss out where to go for that info
A lot of internet guides use Glass's Guides but they cost £2.95. Parkers do a very basic one that doesn't take into account mileage etc for free. I prefer What Car as they do more detailed valuations for free:

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/Valuations_Search.asp

My wife is an Ebay expert. I will ask her how to search for old sales tonight.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

sherman989 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by worzel
A lot of internet guides use Glass's Guides but they cost £2.95. Parkers do a very basic one that doesn't take into account mileage etc for free. I prefer What Car as they do more detailed valuations for free:

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'm going to go for it on EBay. As Mandie said some joker yesterday offered us £2500 for both our cars yet similar Fiat Bravos to mine have been going on EBay for about £2000.

I suppose it helps that I'm a bit of an EBay addict. I get hopelessly obsessed about looking up items I'm bidding on / selling! They also have EBay in Australia - well I had to check didn't I?

With regards to looking up previous prices I'm not aware of a way to do this so the best thing to do is to start a search for your make / model of car with similar mileage mark them to watch in my EBay and see what they end up going for. Once you've watched half a dozen you should have a pretty good average price that you could expect.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Cheers
Sherman
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:16 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by worzel

Thanks Worzel
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

If you want to look for sales that have completed, just do an advanced search and check the completed sales button.

From another Ebay addict!!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sherman989
Hi

Just spent an afternoon trailing around car dealers trying to get one to buy our two cars. Its a joke they say the market is full of cars and second hand ones are worth a bean!.
My car is only a few years old low mileage and now they are telling me they can take it reluctantly off my hands for £ 1500, it was £12000 new!.
The other car is older and worth a little more.....

What have other people done to get a decent price, we don't want to be greedy but would appreciate £4000 for two good cars.
Anyone got any ideas?, should we give ebay ago, pay Autotrader.

What have you done or are going to do??

Thank your your help!!

Mandie & Sherman
I put my Z4 on Autotrader and I got 18 calls in an hour - all from an agency wanting to sell it for me! I took it off the site the same day, it wasn't worth the hassle. My local BMW dealer was more than happy to take it off my hands though...these people were also interested, depending on what kind of car you have, you might want to give them a try www.iainmutch.co.uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.