Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling car in Oz

Selling car in Oz

Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:32 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling car in Oz

Can anyone tell me, and it might seem a daft question, but if you buy a car in Perth and therefore on WA plates can you drive it across the country and then sell it in say Sydney? or will you need to register the car there before selling it. We would be talking selling to a dealer rather than private sale.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Donna
Are you thinking about moving? Sorryi I cannot help you on the car business though. Maybe Mrs D or OPz Tennis will know.

Debs
Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

For a private sale, you would have to sell it "unregistered" at a steep discount or go through the state's reregistration process. You'd need to live there to do that.

Not sure about a dealer, but I suspect they would reduce what would already be a lower trade-in value.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 6:05 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Donna, you dont need a roadworthy to sell a car to a dealer. Therefore it makes no difference to them where your car is registered. I believe that they simply cancel the other states regsitration & you should get a refund of the balance remaining.

Chnj is correct about selling it privately. You would have to deregister it (see refund above), get a roadworthy for it & re-register it, or simply sell it unregistered (but with a roadworthy or without) & the new owner can then register it themselves.

Its actually reasonably common, although not always from WA to eastern states.

PS. roadworthy = MOT
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:03 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by debsy
Hi Donna
Are you thinking about moving? Sorryi I cannot help you on the car business though. Maybe Mrs D or OPz Tennis will know.

Debs
Hi Debs,

We are going, not so slowly, mad over here. still no news on any jobs and its becoming quite depressing, we have thought of staying longer in Perth and really just don't know what to do for the best.

Our ideas keep changing on a daily/hourly basis and if I had a dollar for everytime Chris asked me "What do you think we should do then?" I would have enough money to buy a tonne of dye to cover the grey hairs that have started to appear.

By January we would have been here 5 months, if no jobs have materialised we think we would be better trying out other States. The trouble is money, and how cheaply we can travel around and spend time in places because being here has costs us £1000's.

Anyway we are trying to think positive and trying to take some control of our situation. We know some people like Perth, but we are fed up with it. We know that their are differing opinions on the other States but what someone else doesn't like could be just right for us.

So today we are looking at how to get some cash together, and researching the cost of travel and accommodation, been to the library and got some books, and now trying to work out cost effective route across, that will allow us the time we need to spend in places.

We are thinking of trying Adelaide first then take a look at Melbourne, moving up the Eastern States if we don't find 'the right place'. Depending on jobs etc we may have to go back to UK to raise more money because we can't survive forever on our savings.

This hours plan is:sell the car - fly to Adelaide - buy/hire cheap campervan and drive around. No money for hotels unless we don't eat. Trouble is it will be the hottest time of the year but if we do stay in Perth, longer our money will just get eaten away anyway and we will have no choice but to go back to UK and re-think things. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 25th 2003 at 7:09 am.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:37 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Hi Debs,

We are going, not so slowly, mad over here. still no news on any jobs and its becoming quite depressing, we have thought of staying longer in Perth and really just don't know what to do for the best.

Our ideas keep changing on a daily/hourly basis and if I had a dollar for everytime Chris asked me "What do you think we should do then?" I would have enough money to buy a tonne of dye to cover the grey hairs that have started to appear.

By January we would have been here 5 months, if no jobs have materialised we think we would be better trying out other States. The trouble is money, and how cheaply we can travel around and spend time in places because being here has costs us £1000's.

Anyway we are trying to think positive and trying to take some control of our situation. We know some people like Perth, but we are fed up with it. We know that their are differing opinions on the other States but what someone else doesn't like could be just right for us.

So today we are looking at how to get some cash together, and researching the cost of travel and accommodation, been to the library and got some books, and now trying to work out cost effective route across, that will allow us the time we need to spend in places.

We are thinking of trying Adelaide first then take a look at Melbourne, moving up the Eastern States if we don't find 'the right place'. Depending on jobs etc we may have to go back to UK to raise more money because we can't survive forever on our savings.

This hours plan is:sell the car - fly to Adelaide - buy/hire cheap campervan and drive around. No money for hotels unless we don't eat. Trouble is it will be the hottest time of the year but if we do stay in Perth, longer our money will just get eaten away anyway and we will have no choice but to go back to UK and re-think things. Any suggestions welcome.
OK, I'm gunna be rude and stick my nose in:

If you feel you must leave WA, do it NOW - before Christmas or be prepared to wait several months for the unemployed school leavers to be absorbed by the labour market.

Either way, get a job NOW. Talk to Pollyanna - she pounded the pavements and hounded employers for work, any work, and got it in a few days. So the work might low paid, big deal, you have many years ahead of you (one hopes).

Sounds like there are too many Poms in Perth with too much money and too little work ethic. Employers will look at you and think, "Yeah, another Pom with money, lets wait until they become desparate and will put in a days work I can make a quid from".

Sorry to be brutal but my intention is to help.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Hi Debs,

Just a quick reply, I hope things look better in the East for you two, most people do find a lot more going on in Melb, or Bris. Thanks for the laughs and I admire your honesty. You had better let us all know how you get on. Have you tried Britz campervans, they had a $49 special on (not in the school holidays) but it was a newish small campervan would easily fit 2 in, they do have a website. Good luck.

Just read megs post, it is true a lot of work comes up prior to Xmas, if you could bite the bullet now it could be worth it, of course that sort of work is probably not Social work, but it could be a start. If not wait till Feb, school hols are over and suddenly travelling around becomes much cheaper. Sorry I cant help more but if your ending up near Bris let me know.

Last edited by dotty; Nov 25th 2003 at 7:46 am.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The fruit picking season is coming up:

FRUIT PICKING IN AUSTRALIA

Make you sore for a few days until you get used to it but even old codgers from the Grey Army do it to help them on their travels.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debs,

Hi Donna & Chris,
Regarding your jobs situation, are you restricted by your visa or can you adapt to any kind of work?
Andrew
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:05 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Megalania
OK, I'm gunna be rude and stick my nose in:

If you feel you must leave WA, do it NOW - before Christmas or be prepared to wait several months for the unemployed school leavers to be absorbed by the labour market.

Either way, get a job NOW. Talk to Pollyanna - she pounded the pavements and hounded employers for work, any work, and got it in a few days. So the work might low paid, big deal, you have many years ahead of you (one hopes).

Sounds like there are too many Poms in Perth with too much money and too little work ethic. Employers will look at you and think, "Yeah, another Pom with money, lets wait until they become desparate and will put in a days work I can make a quid from".

Sorry to be brutal but my intention is to help.
Your comments aren't brutal, but we have been applying regularly for work over the past three months. I have only had one interview and was put on a waiting list, Chris hasn't got that far. We can't leave WA now because we are tied to our lease, so although the timing isn't the best it is what we have to deal with.

I don't know by what you judge any poor work ethic, of myself or any other POM, this is the first time I have ever not worked since I left school. It is not a matter of not wishing to work, but wishing to carve out a life here that allows us to use the skills, knowledge and training that we have, and to earn by OZ standards a reasonable wage.

If that desire is unreasonable, indeed I may well be in the wrong place!!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:09 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by dotty
Just a quick reply, I hope things look better in the East for you two, most people do find a lot more going on in Melb, or Bris. Thanks for the laughs and I admire your honesty. You had better let us all know how you get on. Have you tried Britz campervans, they had a $49 special on (not in the school holidays) but it was a newish small campervan would easily fit 2 in, they do have a website. Good luck.

Just read megs post, it is true a lot of work comes up prior to Xmas, if you could bite the bullet now it could be worth it, of course that sort of work is probably not Social work, but it could be a start. If not wait till Feb, school hols are over and suddenly travelling around becomes much cheaper. Sorry I cant help more but if your ending up near Bris let me know.
Thanks for the advice and info, By the time we settle in the first place its going to be close to February anyway. I have seen more jobs advertised in the Eastern States and from what we have learned somethings are also cheaper over there too. (I know housng isn't one of them).

At the end of the day its all an adventure, we only have ourselves to worry about and we are not destitute, so we will see what comes of Plan B.

Donna
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:28 am
Banned

Your comments aren't brutal, but we have been applying regularly for work over the past three months. I have only had one interview and was put on a waiting list, Chris hasn't got that far. We can't leave WA now because we are tied to our lease, so although the timing isn't the best it is what we have to deal with.

I don't know by what you judge any poor work ethic, of myself or any other POM, this is the first time I have ever not worked since I left school. It is not a matter of not wishing to work, but wishing to carve out a life here that allows us to use the skills, knowledge and training that we have, and to earn by OZ standards a reasonable wage.

If that desire is unreasonable, indeed I may well be in the wrong place!!
It's like this:

The SandGropers would far rather employ another SandGroper than any EasternStater if possible - they like to keep it in the family because a fellow member of the SandGroper family is less likely to stuff off or muck up - that would be pooing in their own nest. Now a Pom is an even less desirable employee than one of those reprobate EasternStaters so Poms have to show "more leg". If you look like you have a bit of money then that puts you even futher down the list. You may well have been diligently APPLYING for jobs "rightfully" belonging the a SandGroper but you have not convinced the employing SandGrouper that the extra money he would make from you is worth is breaking "family" ties. OK so you have probably been applying for Gubberment jobs where the "family" does not count as much but reckon on it still being there. Too late for social work this year, nothing will happen on hiring in that area until late Feb 2004 if it is a good year. So I suggest you have a go for a while at something else. Show you are a "goer" and you will be "in".

Last edited by Megalania; Nov 25th 2003 at 8:31 am.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:35 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
Hi Donna & Chris,
Regarding your jobs situation, are you restricted by your visa or can you adapt to any kind of work?
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

We have no restrictions, we both have PR Visa's. We have looked into business options but we think there is too much risk for us, and those we have looked at quite closely just do not generate enough income.

We have applied for both professional and casual positions, but have not been successful, so far.

We have had some savings to rely on so Chris hasn't sent me out cleaning toilets or dancing on tables (yet), but realistically I have uni qualifications in social work and training and development and almost 20 years experience, Chris is a qualified baker and IT consultant and we have struck nothing.

Even jobs for waiting on tables asks you for experience, and the one interview I did get for casual shop work asked me for an Australian referee which I don't have. They didn't even want my UK referees, so we are just about at the end of the road here. We are still going through the paper, the agencies and various web sites, and if an offer comes up then great.

I am not saying that if I wanted to clean toilets for $12hr that I couldn't find a job because if I tried hard enough I guess I could, but that doesn't even come close to matching the 'lifestyle' I signed up for.

If other people want to clean loos for $12 be my guest.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:50 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Megalania
It's like this:

The SandGropers would far rather employ another SandGroper than any EasternStater if possible - they like to keep it in the family because a fellow member of the SandGroper family is less likely to stuff off or muck up - that would be pooing in their own nest. Now a Pom is an even less desirable employee than one of those reprobate EasternStaters so Poms have to show "more leg". If you look like you have a bit of money then that puts you even futher down the list. You may well have been diligently APPLYING for jobs "rightfully" belonging the a SandGroper but you have not convinced the employing SandGrouper that the extra money he would make from you is worth is breaking "family" ties. OK so you have probably been applying for Gubberment jobs where the "family" does not count as much but reckon on it still being there. Too late for social work this year, nothing will happen on hiring in that area until late Feb 2004 if it is a good year. So I suggest you have a go for a while at something else. Show you are a "goer" and you will be "in".
Dear Megalania,

I do agree with you, however the Sandgroper doesn't know what I have in the bank, and they haven't met me yet. They can assume as a recent arrivee I have some money and maybe this is why I am currently on the lower list.

However, if the sandgroper doesn't want to meet with me until they can take advantage of me how do I show they I am a goer, by picking fruit in 35c+ heat?

I understand the mentality in WA, I don't really have a problem with it, it works for them, but although I expected some resistance to employment I had hoped to at least have an interview opportunity. I know I had unrealistic expectations. I have learned my lesson.:lecture:
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:59 am
Banned

However, if the sandgroper doesn't want to meet with me until they can take advantage of me how do I show they I am a goer, by picking fruit in 35c+ heat?
To break in, to show you WANT in, you will have to do something that will earn some respect, not saying it is picking fruit, but something that stands out. If you are not prepared to do that then I suggest you apply elsewhere, even upsticks pronto. The only jobs you are LIKELY to land anywhere in Aus until Feb/Mar 2004 will be casual Christamas jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.