Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The sell up has begun!

Wikiposts

The sell up has begun!

Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Dotty I cannot bleeive you are forfeiting your pool boy for London, he musn't have been that good

Good luck and thanks for all the advice.

C
Old Jan 15th 2004, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Noodles is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read many postings from Dotty over the 6 months or so that I have been frequenty this site. Unlike many, I don't take what she says to be in good humour all of the time, in fact some remarks I believe to be down right offensive.

I can understand Dotty that it did not work out for you, that your experience of Australia (and a lengthy one at that) has not been a great one, I also see that some of your posts are of good value to other people. However, you seem to have double standards. You are always the first to put down people with positive experiences, to put it down to their inexperience or lack of perspective. Your outlook on most everything is negative.

At times it seems to me that you hate all Australians, other times you consider yourself to be an expert on how Australians feel, act and want to be perceived.

I hope that you are happy in England, as I am sure you will be. I am sorry that your experiences have not been what you expected them to be. I think Australia will benefit a little without your misery.

Last edited by Noodles; Jan 15th 2004 at 6:48 am.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Noodles
I have read many postings from Dotty over the 6 months or so that I have been frequenty this site. Unlike many, I don't take what she says to be in good humour all of the time, in fact some remarks I believe to be down right offensive.

I can understand Dotty that it did not work out for you, that your experience of Australia (and a lengthy one at that) has not been a great one, I also see that some of your posts are of good value to other people. However, you seem to have double standards. You are always the first to put down people with positive experiences, to put it down to their inexperience or lack of perspective. Your outlook on most everything is negative.

At times it seems to me that you hate all Australians, other times you consider yourself to be an expert on how Australians feel, act and want to be perceived.

I hope that you are happy in England, as I am sure you will be. I am sorry that your experiences have not been what you expected them to be. I think Australia will benefit a little without your misery.
I dont think you have read too much or you would know that we planned to leave OZ last year but stayed for a couple reasons which I have mentioned.

1) We thought the dollar would rise.

2) We thought the property market would have enormous growth last year.

So not too unhappy at all actually.

You may not like my posts on OZ, however I have always said (and lets face it not many others have said this have they?) that OZ has fantastic opportunities for those who want to take a bit of risk, get off their asses and work hard. By that I mean not go and hope OZ will provide you with a job, but those who will provide aussies with jobs by setting up their own business.

I will never sit here and say OZ is all things wonderful, because like most places it has a lot of crap sides to it.

My experiences in OZ have far outweighed my expectations of it, because when I got off the plane I nearly died of bloody shock, then I got off my ass and did something about it. How? I looked at the realistic picture OZ is and worked from that, not a bad plan was it?

You may not like my humour, you certainly dont like my honesty, but the plain fact is how I did get on here was by being honest, being realistic, and when it was so crap some would have gave up I laughed.

And it was such a crap plan I intend to approach England with exactly the same approach
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:52 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
As for areas, umm, No, the more I saw, the more possibilities we found, narrowing it down is going to be a nightmare. I still think it will be the South tho, because of my sister, but I liked it up North too. My husband thinks all that open space (Worcs, Hereford) just 2.5 hours from London is brilliant. I thought it was lovely but shops will always win over sheep.

Dotty, you can have shops and sheep, if you come to hereford or worcester you're within an hour of Brum and we finally have fantastic shops.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:08 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
You may not like my posts on OZ, however I have always said (and lets face it not many others have said this have they?) that OZ has fantastic opportunities for those who want to take a bit of risk, get off their asses and work hard. By that I mean not go and hope OZ will provide you with a job, but those who will provide aussies with jobs by setting up their own business.
Much the same could be said about NZ - though the comparative problem with NZ is that it's not quite such a straightforward business environment. (Main problems being low population, lower spending power of the population (lower accumulated wealth creation/ retention)).

Anyone who gets off their arse and sets up a business with at least an OK business plan and an average/good degree of talent + application can do well in NZ, much as I believe it to be true of Aus.

The country is growing fast - it took 30 years to go from 3 million to 4 million and there's a pretty good bet that (politics allowing) NZ will hit 5 million within the next 15 years. That creates a lot of opportunity - the best markets to operate in are growing markets.