Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To sell or to rent. That is the question.

To sell or to rent. That is the question.

Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Kerry Ford is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: To sell or to rent. That is the question.

Originally posted by Bella
Anyone been through the big debate as to whether to sell or rent their property in UK? I've been through it a billion times and am interested in others' thoughts, particularly if you've thought of something I haven't.

House sale just fallen through and just wanna go ...!

We moved to Central coast 2 1/2 yrs ago, and sold out house in the UK. Bad time for us to move, returned to UK after 1 year and had to start all over again. We were lucky and got into the market as it was rising and managed now to have captial of £60,000 in our house but have since decided to return to Oz to Perth. We have just put the house on the marketin the UK to release the capital to give us a good start in Perth, but we are going to buy a small investment property to rent in the UK so our foot is still in the market as it were! The best of both worlds just in case we decide to return in the next few years. We can then still buy land or property in perth but still have the security of a property in the UK. I hope this helps but open to any other questions as we've been there seen it done it and still returning for more!
Kez
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Reading with interest this thread. My concern is that the buy-to-let market is pretty poor in my area. If I was unable to get a tenant I could not afford £1000 mortgage on NZ wages.

Going to NZ with a heap of equity would allow me to live in houses and areas that I definetely couldn't afford to live in with a second mortgage or a rental property. It would be like going back 15 years in time to average accomodation in poorer areas.

Roger
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just put the house on the marketin the UK to release the capital to give us a good start in Perth, but we are going to buy a small investment property to rent in the UK so our foot is still in the market as it were
Think that is the best idea, especially for those that have made a huge wad from the sale of property here. Also its not difficult to work out the best investment, have a property here that goes up say £10k or one in Oz that goes up $10k I know which I would want. !
Reading with interest this thread. My concern is that the buy-to-let market is pretty poor in my area. If I was unable to get a tenant I could not afford £1000 mortgage on NZ wages.
Thats the way the mop flops, its all a gamble. The other thing to bare in mind is you have a tenant and you decide to sell, tenants are not usually that keen on showing your house to its best when potential buyers view. Also if you get rid of the tenants to sell it, potential buyers don't like empty houses. :scared: So what do you do.

I have a cunning plan.

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 11th 2003 at 12:34 am.