Self employed

Old Jul 6th 2003, 3:06 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self employed

This is my first post so please be gentle with any seemingly obvious answer to my questions!

My wife and I are looking at emigration ot Oz, not too sure as to our preference yet, but erring towards Melbourne or Adelaide.

Anyhow to the point.

We intend to make an application under the skilled migration scheme, using my wifes trade as a Hairdresser.
Having read documents from the DIMIA website and spoken to some of the numerous agents, I seem to reciecve conflicting reports as to what information is required by the TRA. The documentation states employment as "having worked in paid employment for 20 hours a week", whilst I have been told by some of the agents that it should be 30 hours per week. Also, there seems to be no giudelines as to what information is required for self employed status. The obvious one is accounts, for which I assume that they require three years minimum. Also there is the issue of qualifications. But what else may they require? Testamonials from customers? Is there a minimum turnover expected?

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has applied and successfully recieved visas under the skilled migration scheme, who are self employed, or indeed anyone who has information that helps!

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self employed

Originally posted by gsb
This is my first post so please be gentle with any seemingly obvious answer to my questions!

My wife and I are looking at emigration ot Oz, not too sure as to our preference yet, but erring towards Melbourne or Adelaide.

Anyhow to the point.

We intend to make an application under the skilled migration scheme, using my wifes trade as a Hairdresser.
Having read documents from the DIMIA website and spoken to some of the numerous agents, I seem to reciecve conflicting reports as to what information is required by the TRA. The documentation states employment as "having worked in paid employment for 20 hours a week", whilst I have been told by some of the agents that it should be 30 hours per week. Also, there seems to be no giudelines as to what information is required for self employed status. The obvious one is accounts, for which I assume that they require three years minimum. Also there is the issue of qualifications. But what else may they require? Testamonials from customers? Is there a minimum turnover expected?

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has applied and successfully recieved visas under the skilled migration scheme, who are self employed, or indeed anyone who has information that helps!

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Hi,

I think your best bet is to have your wife as main applicant and leave your self employment out of it, do the points test, check the age carefully as 1963 as per profile, wife must have worked 20 hours every week or more to qualify and have verification of profession, other than that you're in

Also check you both qualify under basic requirement,

Cheers,
Old Jul 6th 2003, 4:23 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Scooby

That was my point. My wife will be the main applicant, as a self employed hairdresser.

Me, for my sins do not fit the "skills in demand" category, even though I have two degrees, one in Engineering and one in business administration. As for the basic requirements, from what I see we both fit.

Thanks for the reply though.

Gary
Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

hi gsb

if you go on the tra website it provides details as to what you need to provide if you are self employed - my partner is also a hairdresser and i am currently organising the paperwork as its not his forte.

basically still accumulating paperwork for the tra so probably at same stage as you - best thing you could do first of all is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH as the information eventually sinks in - it can be confusing reading up on various things.

if you do a search on this site under - hairdresser - you should get lots of stuff - off the top of my head you will need letters from a minimum of three suppliers however we could only manage two once contacted tra they were happy with that - will explain same in covering letter i.e. reasons why only two as opposed to three. suppliers will basically have to say that they do business with you, how long for, how much have they supplied you over a 12 month period i.e. how much did you spend with them in last 12 months and the kind of goods supplied.

copies of accounts going back as far as possible, statutory declaration from your accountant again confirming how long they have been doing your accountants, kind of work you do etc also letter from your bank and so on and so forth. a statement from your wife detailing from time she started in the business to present day detailing exactly in great detail what her job entails, products she uses, equipment used etc - this is just off the top of my head there is more but like i said do a search.

good luck - your application should hopefully be straightforward as long as you provide them with lots of information - more is best in this case.

Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same boat. On top of all the other stuff Rizalan mentioned, i also included my indemnity insurance certificate, a letter from the N.I contributions office that stated the length of time i had been paying my "stamp". I also had some newspaper articles and advertisments with my name in them. Basically send everything that you can think of and more!
Hope this helps