Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self Build? Implications!

Self Build? Implications!

Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:58 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self Build? Implications!

Maybe someone out ther can throw some light on a self build project i`m planning on if all goes well with my application to move to OZ

I will try and make this as short and detailed as possible!

OK.... At the moment i am in the middle of building an extention (Kit) and a full 4 bedroom house also (Kit) all being done for family members

This is not a DIY job experience that i have decided to have a go at and face any problems that may come up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in the building for almost 20 years and consider myself very confident (proven) with the layout drawings, setting out, using track machine to excavate foundations, using lazer levels to determine hights, pouring of foundations, reading from drawings and building blockwork from found level to kit hights, doing solems, laying of drains + manholes/haunching and testing of drainage, wallplate,erect kit, sheet- felt- tilebatton roof and laying of tiles,ridging, fixing all facia and sophit boards, guttering etc etc etc...............................................

Now i have gone on a bit, i believe that i could construct the full house to completion with a bit of help (labour) with the exception of a few things like, fitting windows, electrical and plumbing work ( i wouldnt touch)

Anyway......... i have been trying to get some more info on what i would be able to do myself if i were to go this road if, as i said all goes well with the application process

I would appreciate a few comment on 2 most important points.

1, how far would i be able to go if atall possible?

2, would the cost at the end of the day be mch of a difference from employing a builder to do the lot taken into affect that they will be supplying material for the house at a trade price where i would be paying customer prices to the builders merchant

Any other comments will be much appreciated, i know many of you guys out there will be thinking is this guy blowing out his **** or what? BUT, i know i can do almost all work as i mentioned above with a bit of help.

I will post some photos to here soon as the work goes on with the extension and the new house.

PS: an extract for the BRB in OZ here:

http://www.brb.org.au/ProsecutionPolicy.htm
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Build? Implications!

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Maybe someone out ther can throw some light on a self build project i`m planning on if all goes well with my application to move to OZ

I will try and make this as short and detailed as possible!

OK.... At the moment i am in the middle of building an extention (Kit) and a full 4 bedroom house also (Kit) all being done for family members

This is not a DIY job experience that i have decided to have a go at and face any problems that may come up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in the building for almost 20 years and consider myself very confident (proven) with the layout drawings, setting out, using track machine to excavate foundations, using lazer levels to determine hights, pouring of foundations, reading from drawings and building blockwork from found level to kit hights, doing solems, laying of drains + manholes/haunching and testing of drainage, wallplate,erect kit, sheet- felt- tilebatton roof and laying of tiles,ridging, fixing all facia and sophit boards, guttering etc etc etc...............................................

Now i have gone on a bit, i believe that i could construct the full house to completion with a bit of help (labour) with the exception of a few things like, fitting windows, electrical and plumbing work ( i wouldnt touch)

Anyway......... i have been trying to get some more info on what i would be able to do myself if i were to go this road if, as i said all goes well with the application process

I would appreciate a few comment on 2 most important points.

1, how far would i be able to go if atall possible?

2, would the cost at the end of the day be mch of a difference from employing a builder to do the lot taken into affect that they will be supplying material for the house at a trade price where i would be paying customer prices to the builders merchant

Any other comments will be much appreciated, i know many of you guys out there will be thinking is this guy blowing out his **** or what? BUT, i know i can do almost all work as i mentioned above with a bit of help.

I will post some photos to here soon as the work goes on with the extension and the new house.

PS: an extract for the BRB in OZ here:

http://www.brb.org.au/ProsecutionPolicy.htm

Owner builder is not a registered builder, owner builder property has many implications such as not being able to sell for several years without indemnity.
In most states you'll need registered and licenced tradesmen anyway, even if you get an owner builder permit.

For builders registration you are looking at university or several years of study and then australian experience. Think carefully before taking such a project on the regulations here are not as the UK and a legal minefield. Best piece of advice, get some aus experience in construction.

Will it be cheaper? unlikely if you are buying products and hiring licenced subcontractors on a one off basis.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

My friends are currently doing a self build, even though it's a kit home that will make up a shell (would have cost another $100k to have the company put it together), one of them has had to go on a specific course as you can't do the build without it, wasn't long though (they are in NSW so don't know if it varies by state), it's the same as spraying weeds over there, you can't do it without first having attended a course or you'll get fined!

If you want me to find out any more details, let me know.

Sara
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Owner builder is not a registered builder, owner builder property has many implications such as not being able to sell for several years without indemnity.
In most states you'll need registered and licenced tradesmen anyway, even if you get an owner builder permit.

For builders registration you are looking at university or several years of study and then australian experience. Think carefully before taking such a project on the regulations here are not as the UK and a legal minefield. Best piece of advice, get some aus experience in construction.

Will it be cheaper? unlikely if you are buying products and hiring licenced subcontractors on a one off basis.
I agree with the points above.

The reason for all the what appears to be heavy OZ legislation is driven by the insurance companies and how risk to others is managed.

For QLD have a look here http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consumers/OwnerBuilders/

WW
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:27 pm
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Silky Chicken
My friends are currently doing a self build, even though it's a kit home that will make up a shell (would have cost another $100k to have the company put it together), one of them has had to go on a specific course as you can't do the build without it, wasn't long though (they are in NSW so don't know if it varies by state), it's the same as spraying weeds over there, you can't do it without first having attended a course or you'll get fined!

If you want me to find out any more details, let me know.

Sara
We're very interested in self build, the course etc... hoping to go to NSW and would like to build our own home at some point (hubby's a builder himself), would appreciate it if you could shed some light. Thanks Sara.