self build

Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice
Default self build

Hi does the price differ alot to buy some land and have your house built or does it work out a lot dearerx
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

rarejunk_in is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: self build

Hi,

In my experience buying land & building yourself adds a lot of value than buying a prebuilt home.

Pros - costs lesser, build to ur taste, better quality , better market value
cons - consumes time & effort

Cheers,
RJ
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony s
Hi does the price differ alot to buy some land and have your house built or does it work out a lot dearerx
it depends where you are building and what you want to be honest. Blocks of land these days tend to be smaller than existing houses and, in my opinion, it probably works out the same if not a bit more to buy land and build - you also need to add in the cost of you renting and paying a mortgage at the same time. It's still a dream for us though
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:19 am
Just Joined

dairic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Can you build your home yourself in oz or do you need all registered tradesmen for each job (electrical and gas i guess you would)
I could do all the work myself, and in the uk i can as long as i meet current requirements by local authority is it the same in oz, just curious
thanks
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

you need to get an owner builder licence, I'm not quite sure what this entails but I do know you can only build one house every 6 years !!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

lissylee is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has built our house all by himself, from concrete, to roof. He obtained an owner bulider licence. We owned the land, and built the basic house 6 bed, for $60,000. Its taken 3 years in total from planning to complete, but what an experience and we have an amazing home now fantastic quality, with a very small mortgage. I worked so he could concentrate on the house build.
He renovates houses for a living but it was the first home we have built ourselves. We plan on leaving Perth next year so our next project will be over in Queensland.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

lissylee is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry we had to use a plumber and an electrician
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:20 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

a guy at work does it every couple of years, this is his way to reach his dream home while still on a mortgage for a whole lot less. He reckons that buying, and the building 'off the plan' usually results in about about a 1/3rd profit on the day he moves in (so the house is worth 1,000k but has cost him 666k). This is in Brisbane. He does go through hassle each time, but he gets really involved with checking progress every few days. I think he is on his 3rd place at the moment.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
a guy at work does it every couple of years, this is his way to reach his dream home while still on a mortgage for a whole lot less. He reckons that buying, and the building 'off the plan' usually results in about about a 1/3rd profit on the day he moves in (so the house is worth 1,000k but has cost him 666k). This is in Brisbane. He does go through hassle each time, but he gets really involved with checking progress every few days. I think he is on his 3rd place at the moment.
That's about right for up here as well, by the time you've built your 4th house it should be mortgage free providing you build similar spec homes each time and re-invest the capital as a deposit
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:09 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by adriang
Hya, we are coming out to Brisbane on 6th June and initially renting but with our cash from the sale of our property over here in Uk we are looking to buy a plot of land and build our own home. My husband has had building experience before over here in the Uk and is a registered plumber by trade, how easy/difficult is it to obtain a home builders licence over there in Brisbane and what would be the avarage cost of building a home on a plot? Are there many plots of land on offer? and we have heard you dont pay stamp duty on a plot...is this true? Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:11 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Oh and what is the sort of average price for a plot of land? Is it best to concentrate on Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast? Thanks.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

To obtain an Owner Builders Licence you need to do a short course and pay a small fee $250 ish bucks to the QBSA.
Take a look at the QBSA website it will give you all the relevant details.

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consumers/OwnerBuilders/

OH and it's a block of land not a plot a plot is where your buried here in Australia
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahJane2007
Oh and what is the sort of average price for a plot of land? Is it best to concentrate on Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast? Thanks.

All of those areas anything decent around $250+ to skys the limit for land, you might get smaller blocks for less, small being about 10m wide Houses built advertised from $118+ , reality would be more like $200 fr a 4 bed. Plus all your buying and selling costs. Loads of threads on getting a trade builders licence, not easy would be understatement of the year. Dont know anybody even in the trade making anything like 30% profit on a house land package, let alone non tradie whos got to add the middle man (project builder). Those profits were possible a few years back when land and building costs were cheaper and because prices were rising up to 100% a year. If you find an area that hasnt had those price rises already, you pick up a profit by the increase in the price of the land. Finding that area, theres the tricky part, most areas in demand have a shortage of land and it costs a damn fortune

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 30th 2007 at 9:40 am.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:03 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony s
Buying land and building is the only way that we will be able to achieve what we want. We have just bought a block just under 900sqm, with never to be built out ocean views. We got it at a good price as an estate agent friend of mine told us about it before it was listed. The owners wanted a quick sale to move interstate so they priced it to sell. Once the house is built it would have cost us around 400k less to build on our block than it would have cost us to buy a new, pre- built 4 x 2, two-storey home with balcony on that size block in that position. The other advantage is that by getting a mortgage with redraw facility you take out the money as and when you need it and therefore you don't pay the full mortgage repayments until the house is completed which means that the payments go up gradually over 18 months. This suits us as I will be going back to work probably in Feb when my little one starts school full time and my husband would have had two annual pay rises by the time we have to pay the full mortgage. We are not taking any chances though we won't start the build until I definitely have a job.

ACE
Old May 1st 2007, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Dont know anybody even in the trade making anything like 30% profit on a house land package, let alone non tradie whos got to add the middle man (project builder). Those profits were possible a few years back when land and building costs were cheaper and because prices were rising up to 100% a year. If you find an area that hasnt had those price rises already, you pick up a profit by the increase in the price of the land. Finding that area, theres the tricky part, most areas in demand have a shortage of land and it costs a damn fortune
It's still possible to make at least 25% profit building spec homes up here in the Gympie area.
We have done quite a few this year for the same bloke, he buys the block, then engages either Tamawood/Dixon or GJ Gardener to do the build. Their prices for
"walk in the door" start from less than 100k for a basic 3 bed slug. He buys the blocks for between 70-90k the houses ,for a 3-4 bed, always come in complete including soil tests and slab at less than 140k and he then spends 20k on driveways & landscaping. The dearest one he's built so far stood him at 210k and it's just sold for 350k.
It can be done, you just have to be prepared to live 40mins from the coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.