Reload this Page >

Selecting a Sydney Suburb

Selecting a Sydney Suburb

Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Selecting a Sydney Suburb

Hi all,

We're moving to Sydney in the new year (yipee!!!), and would like some advice/web-site links on Sydney suburbs as we don't know the first thing about them.

What we're after is a quiet'ish place, not too far from the sea and relatively cheap. We don't mind spending 45mins or so on the train to get to CBD if we have to.

We've had a good search on the web, but there doesn't seem to be any descriptions about. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

C.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:05 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: Selecting a Sydney Suburb

Originally posted by cruisey
Hi all,

We're moving to Sydney in the new year (yipee!!!), and would like some advice/web-site links on Sydney suburbs as we don't know the first thing about them.

What we're after is a quiet'ish place, not too far from the sea and relatively cheap. We don't mind spending 45mins or so on the train to get to CBD if we have to.

We've had a good search on the web, but there doesn't seem to be any descriptions about. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

C.
Having lived in Parramatta and Toongabie would not recommend anything around Western Sydney. Nice places in the northern beaches or south towards Woollongong. But really I would stay away from the western area it is not very desirable. If you do a search on here you will find other peoples opinions on the area.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:14 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Cheers!!

C.
You wont get a cheap suburb by the sea within 45 minutes of the city by train, anywhere within such an easy commute with the sea nearby will be expensive. However, if you are prepared to live a little inland and travel by bus then there some decent options in the northern suburbs. If I was buying a house I would look at the Forrestville area north of the city as its about 40 minutes by one of the regular commuter buses to the city centre, is still relatively affordable, is 10 minutes drive to the fantastic northern beaches such as Dee Why and is very green and leafy. Lifelong Sydney residents and friends of ours regard it as a reasonably well kept secret as house prices slightly west in Wahroonga/Turrmurra are double the price and slightly east in Dee Why its a similar story.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:25 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Hi all,

Cheers!!

C.
I also lived up in Gosford on the Central coast and traveled by train to the city every day, it was ok doing it that way and the area is not to bad with a lot of towns on the waters edge. Look up Woy Woy, Gosford, Avocca.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys, I've just had a look at those places. They seem to be quite nice areas, still pricy compared to the rest of Oz but I suppose not bad for Sydney. I reckon we'll rent before we buy just to make sure we like the area we settle in.

Do you have any links to sites that describe any suburbs???

C.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 9:46 am
Home in 2010.

Thanks Guys, I've just had a look at those places. They seem to be quite nice areas, still pricy compared to the rest of Oz but I suppose not bad for Sydney. I reckon we'll rent before we buy just to make sure we like the area we settle in.

C.
Cruisey,
Usually I just go to the Australian version of Google and just enter the area in. It will usually come back with some information though.
I spend hours just looking at different places and dream. Luckily I spent 4 years in OZ and did a bit of traveling so have seen many areas. I am going to Brisbane to start off when I go back but then after a month or two rest will be heading back towards Central coast for easy access to Sydney and work.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 9:53 am
Home in 2010.

C.
You can try this one, not brilliant but gives you an idea of areas.

http://www.xtralocal.com/australia_state.htm
Old Nov 8th 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/sydneylinks.php I have links on there to sites giving suburb maps, suburbs as reccommended by people living in them and best links to best beaches, best cinemas etc.

Might be worth a look.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by karawara88
If you go to http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/sydneylinks.php I have links on there to sites giving suburb maps, suburbs as reccommended by people living in them and best links to best beaches, best cinemas etc.

Might be worth a look.
Cheers, I've already stumbled across that one. Unfortunately the 'suburb' link is dead, but the other links are still useful.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, I've already stumbled across that one. Unfortunately the 'suburb' link is dead, but the other links are still useful.
Sorry about that, have now removed the link, its a shame as it was a really useful site.

There is a very small amount of info on

http://www.thelounge.com.au/boards/T...=1043#Message1

Last edited by karawara88; Nov 8th 2003 at 2:30 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Look under the suburb section of realestate.co.au If you put in a postcode itt gives you a full breakdown of the demographics as well as info on the current housing market there. Hope it helps

Best wishes

Kev
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

You might also want to try http://australianz.topcities.com/sydney.htm - it should give you a start on where and where not to look.

Kev
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by kevmitch
You might also want to try http://australianz.topcities.com/sydney.htm - it should give you a start on where and where not to look.

Kev
Cheers, that's great stuff!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what you want to spend. For us, we were looking around the 500k mark, and so were forced into the hills district. We are going to a new area.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

This is where I'm house sitting at the momenet.

Yes it's in the Western Suburbs but they are sub dividing alot of land at the moment and trying to put some nice new estates around the area.

It's really nice here, and the estate has a few private complexes with a pool, BBQ, and tennis courts that the residents can use. There is mobile security as well (saw them today while I was at the pool). The houses are really nice and there is a brand new shopping centre and leisure centre just opened up the road.

Here's a link to some of the houses for sale in the estate:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...at=&p=30&o=def

Went down to Sydney on the train on Thursday and it was about a 50 minute ride. Didn't realise they have the double decker trains here. My daughter loved it.

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.