British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   security clearance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/security-clearance-454495/)

gmj May 30th 2007 8:45 pm

security clearance?

Hi friends!

By navigating on some australian job sites I noticed some job opportunities (very good by the way) stating the following condition:

"for this job the successful candidate must be an Australian Citizen due to the requirement to gain a security clearance. "

What is that "security clearance"?

I always thought that there was no employment restrictions for 136 visa holders, but it seems so. Is there any other employment restriction?

thanks

GracieK May 30th 2007 9:15 pm

Re: security clearance?

it's usually for working in the defence industry. Or possibly for the government too.

Swerv-o May 31st 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by gmj (Post 4853055)
Hi friends!

By navigating on some australian job sites I noticed some job opportunities (very good by the way) stating the following condition:

"for this job the successful candidate must be an Australian Citizen due to the requirement to gain a security clearance. "

I always thought that there was no employment restrictions for 136 visa holders, but it seems so. Is there any other employment restriction?

thanks

As the previous poster said, it usually involves working for the federal government in some capacities, in particular any areas related to defence/offence.

If memory serves me correctly, it means that you have to have a verifiable record of activities - employment, residences, finances etc - that goes back a particular number of years. For some reason 9 rings a bell, but it could be more. If you can't meet all of the criteria, then you fail to gain your security clearance. My friend works for the office of the PM, and she had a right game getting her's.

S

Pollyana May 31st 2007 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 4854389)
As the previous poster said, it usually involves working for the federal government in some capacities, in particular any areas related to defence/offence.

If memory serves me correctly, it means that you have to have a verifiable record of activities - employment, residences, finances etc - that goes back a particular number of years. For some reason 9 rings a bell, but it could be more. If you can't meet all of the criteria, then you fail to gain your security clearance. My friend works for the office of the PM, and she had a right game getting her's.

S

There are similar requirements for some jobs in the UK, again high level or sensitive in government, and defence jobs, for example.

JAJ Jun 1st 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by gmj (Post 4853055)
Hi friends!

thanks

Bear in mind also that Australian citizenship - in itself - is not enough for a security clearance.

For some kinds of security clearance, they will want x number of years residence in Australia (so they can background check you). Sometimes residence in a friendly country such as UK or US will be accepted.

Also, they will be interested in any ties you have with other countries - friends, family, property, citizenship, etc - that could cause you to put these interests ahead of those of Australia. All looked at case by case, and it will sometimes depend on what country is involved.

The Bloke Jun 1st 2007 10:12 am

I was once required to get security clearance from the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation-ASIO. Even though I was a person born in Australia, of Australian parents I was still required to list all my personal history ie work, residence etc, as well as the names, employment details and contact addresses all of my family, as well as any organisations that I was a member of. They wanted to know every little detail.