security clearance?

security clearance?

Old May 30th 2007, 8:45 pm
gmj
Just Joined

gmj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default security clearance?

Hi friends!

By navigating on some australian job sites I noticed some job opportunities (very good by the way) stating the following condition:

"for this job the successful candidate must be an Australian Citizen due to the requirement to gain a security clearance. "

What is that "security clearance"?

I always thought that there was no employment restrictions for 136 visa holders, but it seems so. Is there any other employment restriction?

thanks
Old May 30th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice
Default Re: security clearance?

it's usually for working in the defence industry. Or possibly for the government too.

Last edited by GracieK; May 30th 2007 at 9:18 pm.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:09 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmj
Hi friends!

By navigating on some australian job sites I noticed some job opportunities (very good by the way) stating the following condition:

"for this job the successful candidate must be an Australian Citizen due to the requirement to gain a security clearance. "

I always thought that there was no employment restrictions for 136 visa holders, but it seems so. Is there any other employment restriction?

thanks
As the previous poster said, it usually involves working for the federal government in some capacities, in particular any areas related to defence/offence.

If memory serves me correctly, it means that you have to have a verifiable record of activities - employment, residences, finances etc - that goes back a particular number of years. For some reason 9 rings a bell, but it could be more. If you can't meet all of the criteria, then you fail to gain your security clearance. My friend works for the office of the PM, and she had a right game getting her's.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; May 31st 2007 at 6:13 am.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
As the previous poster said, it usually involves working for the federal government in some capacities, in particular any areas related to defence/offence.

If memory serves me correctly, it means that you have to have a verifiable record of activities - employment, residences, finances etc - that goes back a particular number of years. For some reason 9 rings a bell, but it could be more. If you can't meet all of the criteria, then you fail to gain your security clearance. My friend works for the office of the PM, and she had a right game getting her's.

S
There are similar requirements for some jobs in the UK, again high level or sensitive in government, and defence jobs, for example.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmj
Hi friends!

thanks
Bear in mind also that Australian citizenship - in itself - is not enough for a security clearance.

For some kinds of security clearance, they will want x number of years residence in Australia (so they can background check you). Sometimes residence in a friendly country such as UK or US will be accepted.

Also, they will be interested in any ties you have with other countries - friends, family, property, citizenship, etc - that could cause you to put these interests ahead of those of Australia. All looked at case by case, and it will sometimes depend on what country is involved.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:12 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I was once required to get security clearance from the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation-ASIO. Even though I was a person born in Australia, of Australian parents I was still required to list all my personal history ie work, residence etc, as well as the names, employment details and contact addresses all of my family, as well as any organisations that I was a member of. They wanted to know every little detail.