Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Securing a job offer before we leave for Aus?

Securing a job offer before we leave for Aus?

Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:19 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Securing a job offer before we leave for Aus?

Hi,
It's a while off, but I was wondering how difficult it was to secure a job offer before arriving in Australia.
OH is a toolmaker and I'm a pharmaceutical representative.
Will we have to fly over for interviews, or can they be done over the phone, like they do with nursing jobs?

We're trying to decide whether to release our assets from the house and take them with us or reinvest in a small rental property here, and use the rental income to finance our housing costs abroad. (we reckon on the rental income paying rent and utilities in Aus)
The problem with this is that we won't have much floating capital for day to day expenses, so a job offer is necessary to take this route.

I'd be grateful for any information shared!

Thanks
ali x
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Securing a job offer before we leave for Aus?

Toolmaker required here. www.cochlear.com.au

Phone interviews, 457 visa.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alipally
Hi,
It's a while off, but I was wondering how difficult it was to secure a job offer before arriving in Australia.
Will we have to fly over for interviews, or can they be done over the phone, like they do with nursing jobs?

We're trying to decide whether to release our assets from the house and take them with us or reinvest in a small rental property here, and use the rental income to finance our housing costs abroad. (we reckon on the rental income paying rent and utilities in Aus)
The problem with this is that we won't have much floating capital for day to day expenses, so a job offer is necessary to take this route.

Thanks
ali x
From everything I've read the 457 visa is the one available if you wish to be sponsored by an employer and get to Oz quickly. People who've gone this route have contacted employers in Oz and depending on how lucky they were got sponsorship from them.

If I were you I'd post on the immigration forum and see what comes back. You'll probably get more advice posting on there as well.

Hubby managed to get an interview with a company in Melbourne and the first interview was held in London with someone from Oz who flew in, the second will take place in London with a UK manager and the third will be a tel interview with head of ops for Australia over the phone. We're not going 457 route.

I know of someone else who got offered a job 457 after one telephone interview and 7 weeks later she's in Sydney and having a ball. It really depends on how lucky you are.

As for selling your house, that's really an individual decision. We sold ours and have the capital in Oz earning interest for us before we get there. Then again, we don't intend coming back.

Hope this helps.

Trish
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scrum
From everything I've read the 457 visa is the one available if you wish to be sponsored by an employer and get to Oz quickly. People who've gone this route have contacted employers in Oz and depending on how lucky they were got sponsorship from them.

If I were you I'd post on the immigration forum and see what comes back. You'll probably get more advice posting on there as well.

Hubby managed to get an interview with a company in Melbourne and the first interview was held in London with someone from Oz who flew in, the second will take place in London with a UK manager and the third will be a tel interview with head of ops for Australia over the phone. We're not going 457 route.

I know of someone else who got offered a job 457 after one telephone interview and 7 weeks later she's in Sydney and having a ball. It really depends on how lucky you are.

As for selling your house, that's really an individual decision. We sold ours and have the capital in Oz earning interest for us before we get there. Then again, we don't intend coming back.

Hope this helps.

Trish
i've had phone and video interviews but it seems that they wont look at you properly til youre on the ground
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alipally
Hi,

Thanks
ali x
As a toolmaker he will need to be here. Not so sure about the medical rep, as this is a more professional role you may do better but not 100%.
Most of us try to secure work before arriving to no avail but easily find work once we land. Most companies don't want the aggro...
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
As a toolmaker he will need to be here. Not so sure about the medical rep, as this is a more professional role you may do better but not 100%.
Most of us try to secure work before arriving to no avail but easily find work once we land. Most companies don't want the aggro...
One of the problems is that Aus employers often have a very quick turnaround. Many of us are paid fortnightly, not monthly, and have 2 week notice periods, so employers expect people to change jobs a lot quicker than in the UK, where a month/4 weeks is far more the norm. As a result they are more reluctant to look at people who are not yet in Australia because they are a bigger risk - takes time for you to get here, and they can't be sure of your visa status either, in many cases.