Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Securing employment from outside Australia

Securing employment from outside Australia

Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Matello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant future
Default Securing employment from outside Australia

Hi,
I'm interested to know if anyone on here managed to secure a job in Australia after they got their PR visa without actually visiting Australia for the interview?

If so, how did you go about it and what type of job was it?
e.g. Microsoft C# Developer, Bricklayer etc.

Just wondering how common/uncommon this is.
I would imagine it is an uncommon occurence.

Regards
Matello
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Securing employment from outside Australia

Originally Posted by Matello
Hi,
I'm interested to know if anyone on here managed to secure a job in Australia after they got their PR visa without actually visiting Australia for the interview?

Regards
Matello
Hi there Matello. Im sorry I can't answer your question fully but I may be able to shed some light on things I am still waiting for a decision regarding my PR, however, I live in the UK and have never been to Australia. Nevertheless, I have been successful in gaining employment I am a Registered Nurse and and had my interview via skype (very scarey).

I would have thought that having a visa would increase your chances significantly in gaining employment

Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Matello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant futureMatello has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wilson01
Hi there Matello. Im sorry I can't answer your question fully but I may be able to shed some light on things I am still waiting for a decision regarding my PR, however, I live in the UK and have never been to Australia. Nevertheless, I have been successful in gaining employment I am a Registered Nurse and and had my interview via skype (very scarey).

I would have thought that having a visa would increase your chances significantly in gaining employment

Thanks wilson01. I would hope having PR would improve my chances but I guess it depends on what profession/trade a person is in.
A friend of mine is a paramedic and he was offered a job without PR.

I seems people in the medical profession in the UK are highly sought after in Australia.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilson01

That's fab Amanda.

Not many can hope to do that. It just shows it is possible.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks wilson01. I would hope having PR would improve my chances but I guess it depends on what profession/trade a person is in.
A friend of mine is a paramedic and he was offered a job without PR.

I seems people in the medical profession in the UK are highly sought after in Australia.
The medical profession is the best to be in.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That's fab Amanda.

Not many can hope to do that. It just shows it is possible.
Thanks Alfresco, pretty pleased about it all myself Just counting on getting my visa with no problems now
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Here on a 457 visa so like others got the job before coming. I am a geologist
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Bond_32 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an accountant (CA) from India and after many months of applying for various accounting jobs in Aussie land without actually being there, I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much impossible for an accountant to find a job while not in Australia! This is despite the fact that my PR (VE 175) came in last year. Maybe other professions have better luck!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are developer Java, C# you will find it very difficult to even get telephone interview let alone job offer from overseas. I have been applying for jobs and talked to agencies and come to conclusion that unless you have niche skills, you are unlikely to get job.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:05 am
Sun, Sea, Sand and.......

Starlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant future

I'm a midwife and again had a job to come out to! came on a 457 visa and then applied for permanent residency after 3 months.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Regards
Matello
I was offered a job before coming - electrical engineer. I originally came on a 457 visa then applied for a 175 a year after. At that time (don't know if it is still true) one got 10 extra points for the 175 by working in the profession for a year here.

Last edited by Deutschmaster; Feb 23rd 2010 at 10:32 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bond_32
I am an accountant (CA) from India and after many months of applying for various accounting jobs in Aussie land without actually being there, I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much impossible for an accountant to find a job while not in Australia! This is despite the fact that my PR (VE 175) came in last year. Maybe other professions have better luck!!!
Originally Posted by salman
If you are developer Java, C# you will find it very difficult to even get telephone interview let alone job offer from overseas. I have been applying for jobs and talked to agencies and come to conclusion that unless you have niche skills, you are unlikely to get job.

I think for a lot of IT people, they want to see you are there first before even considering you for a job.

We're are in the same position and will look for work once we are there.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your input. My skills are in SAP.
A friend of mine emigrated 18 months ago, he didn't apply for jobs in Oz whilst he was in the UK but when he arrived in Oz and started to apply for jobs, he was constantly knocked back with "you don't have 'local' experience".
What SAP has to do with 'local' experience I don't know. It sounded like it was an excuse to reject immigrants.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

My OH (IT) got a job before we came, but mainly because he had struck up a good relationship with a recruitment consultant when we came out on a reccie and stayed in touch. HOWEVER, on arrival the job was nothing like what had been discussed and the employer had a "you're new, you have to do whatever menial stuff we tell you to" mentality. They were absolutely astonished when he said "actually I don't, I'm off". It wasn't difficult finding another job, but you do need to be aware that the recruitment process can be very slow here and a lot of people do end up with "starter jobs" because while employers might be very enthusiastic about your London city (or whatever) experience, but at the end of the day local experience seems to count for more.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

IT job market looks good to me after talking to few agents in sydney. They estimate to get me job in couple of weeks once in Sydney. I am Senior Java Developer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.