Reload this Page >

Secure delivery to backpacker in Australia

Wikiposts

Secure delivery to backpacker in Australia

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:07 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secure delivery to backpacker in Australia

This is an inquiry for a friend at work. I wondered if anyone at BritEx could help:

My daughter is backpacking in Australia and has lost/had stolen her bank cards. The banks involved will only deliver the cards to her registered home address.

I now have the problem of getting two unsigned bank cards to my daughter securely when she does not have an address.
She will in Sydney for about a week on one/two weeks time.

I've been advised that 'Poste Restante' is not secure particularly if there are any obvious enclosures.

Most commercial couriers seem to require a delivery address.

Has anyone had any experience of this or any suggestions.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Secure delivery to backpacker in Australia

Hi,
A similar thing happened to me when I was backpacking 5 years ago. If the person is having a visa card sent, you can actually have a tempory one sent to a bank where you can collect it. They will not suggest this, and had to plead, but they did it in the end! All my money was on this card and i was in Panama at the time, and also couldnt think of anywhere secure to send it.As for normal bank cards I had the same problem, had them sent to a friends.
sorry its not that useful!
Fiona
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

wild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by davidclifford
This is an inquiry for a friend at work. I wondered if anyone at BritEx could help:

My daughter is backpacking in Australia and has lost/had stolen her bank cards. The banks involved will only deliver the cards to her registered home address.

I now have the problem of getting two unsigned bank cards to my daughter securely when she does not have an address.

I've been advised that 'Poste Restante' is not secure particularly if there are any obvious enclosures.

Hi

How about if you sent it to a local internet shop, they are called Global Gossip (http://www.globalgossip.com.au/) they offer a service to recieve mail from home, it may be worth contact them via email.

Or you could contact the British High Commission to see if they could hold the letter for you, if not they may be able to suggestion something.

British Consulate-General, Sydney
Postal address
British Consulate-General, Sydney
The Gateway, Level UK (16),
1 Macquarie Place,
Sydney, NSW 2000

Opening hours
Front counter: Monday to Friday 10am to 4.30pm
Switchboard: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Phone & Fax
Phone: (02) 9247 7521
Fax: (02) 9233 1826

http://bhc.britaus.net/default.asp

I hope this helps, I will check to see if I can find out any other information.

Wild-Star
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:24 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by davidclifford

There is a place in Sydney that is sort of backpackers 'mecca'. You can send and receive mail, book trips, just meet and chat or find a job etc.

From memory I think it was up the top end of George Street in the CBD.

I can't remember exactly where it is but I am sure if your daughter asks around wherever she is staying someone will have heard of it and/or been there.

Cheers.