Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second Viewing...Gulp

Second Viewing...Gulp

Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Viewing...Gulp

Originally Posted by molloymj
What would you do?....

Our house was up for £125k and we have had an offer of £120k, do we push for more or take it?

We go to Sydney in 2 months.

Mike.
Snap their hand off, do you know how many people are trying to sell their houses and get nothing, not even a viewing, snap it off, we have just accepted an offer on ours and dropped 5 grand and it feels good.
2 months to go you could loose that sale then have nothing but stress and panic if you cannot get another viewing.
Whats 5 grand in the grand scheme of things anyway, its only money.

Hope this helps, if not then ignore me and I will go away!!

Libby
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:20 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Snap their hand off, do you know how many people are trying to sell their houses and get nothing, not even a viewing, snap it off, we have just accepted an offer on ours and dropped 5 grand and it feels good.
2 months to go you could loose that sale then have nothing but stress and panic if you cannot get another viewing.
Whats 5 grand in the grand scheme of things anyway, its only money.

Hope this helps, if not then ignore me and I will go away!!

Libby

What libby said
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:44 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

We are between a rock and a hard place.

The house has only been on the market for 2 weeks, but then again we only have 2 months left.

Think we'll ask for more and if he rejects, take the £120k and run.

Thanks for all your advice.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

We are between a rock and a hard place.

The house has only been on the market for 2 weeks, but then again we only have 2 months left.

Think we'll ask for more and if he rejects, take the £120k and run.

Thanks for all your advice.
Hi

I hear both sides of the debate, but in my experience it is how you deal with it from the beginning. It is a buyers market, not only do they want money off in the first place, they want to negotiate you down after survey, so what may be £5 or £10k at the early stage can end up being so much more, so long as you know how low you are prepared to go.

I agreed a sale recently and 3 months down the line just when we were ready to sign the guy tried to screw us down £12,000 after survey. It turned out he couldn't even afford to buy it.

Next sale, woman offered £5k off, then came back and said could not borrow that amount and would I take £7,500 less. Reluctantly agreed, before laying out for survey she then wanted us to agree to pay for anything that came up on survey (roof, re-wire and damp proof) we couldn't agree to that, so she walked away, but at least we had not wasted another 3 months.

I did say it would depend on their situation, if it was a first time buyer, in no chain with a mortgage offer in place then £5k is nothing, but there are alot of shrewd people out there who will break you down if they get wind you are desperate to sell!

I doubt someone would walk away from the sale that quickly by saying you want more, your agent should advise you anyway.

Good luck. Will watch your thread!

Nikki
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Sue - have some back!!

Karma sent as promised
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:26 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Feel for you, Good luck with it all. Have sent you some karma in the hope of getting what you want

Halflinggirl2000
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:40 pm

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Update...

It was up for £125k, he offered £120k, but we have asked for £123k.

We only moved in 18 months ago, had a survey and had a damp proof course, wall ties and some other stuff done, so can't (fingers crossed) see much else need doing.

He doesn't know we are in a rush and as far as he knows we are good sellers as we aren't in a chain.

Plus the house is exempt from Stamp Duty (Thanks Mr Blair).

He's getting a bargain!

He is currently mulling it over....I hate waiting!! :scared:

MM.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Update...

We only moved in 18 months ago, had a survey and had a damp proof course, wall ties and some other stuff done, so can't (fingers crossed) see much else need doing.

He doesn't know we are in a rush and as far as he knows we are good sellers as we aren't in a chain.

He's getting a bargain!

MM.
Good luck, it does sound like a bargain to me!! The waiting is such a pain.

Nikki

P.S. Karma on its way!!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Update...

He's getting a bargain!

MM.
best of luck,its awful not knowing isnt it

tracey
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Update...

He's getting a bargain!

MM.
I'm confused, I thought the stamp duty barrier had been raised to £120k so if he pays £123k he'll be paying £1230 stamp duty but if he pays £120k he'll be paying no stamp duty.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:49 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by spottydog
I'm confused, I thought the stamp duty barrier had been raised to £120k so if he pays £123k he'll be paying £1230 stamp duty but if he pays £120k he'll be paying no stamp duty.

Wouldn't he just pay stamp duty on the £3k above the £120K ?

Good luck fingers crossed for you. Will send you karma when I work out how to do it !! LOL
Blossom

Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by blossom
Wouldn't he just pay stamp duty on the £3k above the £120K ?
Nope, that's not how it works. The buyer would pay stamp duty on the lot.

One possibility is to see whether the buyer would pay say £123k and the seller pay the stamp duty of £1,230. Cheaper than reducing to £120k.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Yeah, I can't believe the seller's agent didn't point this out to the seller. There ain't nothing gonna sell for £125k now.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:21 am

It's in a non stamp duty paying area, regardless of the price that it sells for!!

Don't ask why, but I'm not complaining.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:24 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

It's in a non stamp duty paying area, regardless of the price that it sells for!!

Don't ask why, but I'm not complaining.

I didn't know manchester had got that rough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.