Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second thoughts anyone?

Second thoughts anyone?

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Second thoughts anyone?

Hi

We have Pickfords arriving at the end of the month to collect all of our worldly possessions and I am starting to think OMG is this the right thing to do!! Anyone feeling/felt like this and continued no regrets? It is probably as it is all becoming very real but the usual thoughts family/friends, giving up jobs to go to no jobs, security etc. We have already sold our house and living in rented and I do want to go but everyday is so up and down. One day yes this is def the right thing to do and a couple of days later OMG. Just wanted to see if anyone is going through this.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second thoughts anyone?

Hey I'm with you all the way, but the difference is my hubby left last week and is currently going it alone. I'm here in the rented with our two kids. Hubby was very lucky to land a job the day after landing (with no trade either) hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds.

My biggest worry is education for my boys, eldest just started high school and doesn't want to go, I'd really like to give it 2 years but again worried I may be totally cocking his education up, can we afford private, should we, shouldn't we, aaaarrrrrrghhhhhh. Somedays it all gets too much.

Other days I think you only live once and I don't want to live to regret NOT going.

Sorry that was absolutely no help to you, but you did ask
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nbn8
Hi

We have Pickfords arriving at the end of the month to collect all of our worldly possessions and I am starting to think OMG is this the right thing to do!! Anyone feeling/felt like this and continued no regrets? It is probably as it is all becoming very real but the usual thoughts family/friends, giving up jobs to go to no jobs, security etc. We have already sold our house and living in rented and I do want to go but everyday is so up and down. One day yes this is def the right thing to do and a couple of days later OMG. Just wanted to see if anyone is going through this.
i`m pretty sure everone goes through the
"am i / have i made the right decision" stage as it looms closer
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I think I posted on this topic already, but wanted to assure you that you are not alone.

My husband and I sold our home, moved out on January 20th, movers came and packed it all up, we've been living with my parents since then, finished our jobs last week and our daughter finished at school last week too.

I was already thinking the what the heck am I doing, I think its heightened since last week. I feel like I'm now at the 'too late to turn back' stage now.

We leave on Monday (8th), our dog leaves on Saturday (6th), I have rented a house for us there already and I have a phone interview in a couple of hours.

Will I have regrets? I sure hope not! We have given up alot to move back. Is it the right thing to do? Who knows. I'm sure my family doesn't think so.

One advantage that we do have is, is that hubby is an Australian and I've lived there before, so know what to expect.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Can I just ask, how did you know where to rent a house? I always thought you would need to have a look around the area first to see what it's like and what the schools are like. Or is it just a holiday rental?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t think of it as going to no jobs, no security etc, otherwise you will just worry.

Think of it as a big adventure about to start, you’ll never know unless you go.

Good luck.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I leave end of March and I feel exactlly the same. I think its normal but I have to try and find out for myself or I will live to regret it.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Hi

We have Pickfords arriving at the end of the month to collect all of our worldly possessions and I am starting to think OMG is this the right thing to do!!
Yes you should be having second thoughts if you are using Pickfords
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Can I just ask, how did you know where to rent a house? I always thought you would need to have a look around the area first to see what it's like and what the schools are like. Or is it just a holiday rental?
As I said, hubby is an Aussie, so we know the area and we picked a new suburb that we looked at when we were there on holidays. Found a house in that area that was for rent, applied for it and got it. We have yet to see it in person, have only seen pics from the real estate and online. We'll go see it once we arrive and hope that it is as nice as in the pics!

As for the school, we can only hope that it'll be fine for our 9yo daughter.

I think if we were to go to an area we didn't know, then we'd be looking for information from people in the area, using websites/message boards like this one.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Im up & down about the move aswell and Ive lived there before also! it is scary giving up your job etc, especially for us we have had to borrow money to get back over and to no jobs (Yikes) but we have the motivation to get sorted asap, Im sure we`l all be fine! we land 16th April.

Bluekipper
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Rosie999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Second thoughts anyone?

I moved to Sydney with my husband and 2 kids 5 and 7 in Aug 2008.
Everyday one or the other of us had doubts about moving it is very daunting and such a big thing to do with so many unknowns ect.... But now we are here there is only one regret and that is we did not move here years ago. The kids have settled into school and love the out door life style on offer here.
Some things seem very familiar and other things very odd the country does seem to be a decade or so behind the UK which in it's self has it's good and bad points.

If you don't do it you will never know if it was for you or not, all I can say most people do love it here but the odd few don't and end up going back to the UK. I know of a few people who came here but went back because they missed family etc but are now back here or trying to get back again as they realised family life here is better than the UK.

Wishing you all the best try not to think about it all too much the thought of leaving is far harder than the actual deed so go on be a devil just do it and enjoy it.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone its nice to know Im not the only one feeling like this.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, but they don't last very long though.

Good luck! You'll be fine.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

steve_chal is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved here Dec 4th 2009 so its been about 2 months for us. The moment your container arrives and you see your life packed into the back of it is perhaps the moment that you realise you are going. Its a killer. We felt sick with both terror and excitement for months before going. However, life is an adventure. You have had the courage to do what others dream of. We more usually regret the things we don't do, don't we? If it works out, you will never regret it, if it doesn't - you can go back - its not the end of the world. But at least at the end of your days, you can look back and say, "I did that!".

If we do not want to fear change, we must stay as we are and tread the safe path. I prefer the roller coaster.

You've done the hard part - keep going and if you feel a bit sad or panicky about it, look out the window or read a UK paper and remind yourself of why you are going. I drive to work every morning, mostly with my sunglasses on (though it is a bit wet in Sydney right now) and as a parrot flies past I think, "I live here!" and its fantastic.

Mrs Steve_Chal (aka Sarah)
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve_chal
We moved here Dec 4th 2009 so its been about 2 months for us. The moment your container arrives and you see your life packed into the back of it is perhaps the moment that you realise you are going. Its a killer. We felt sick with both terror and excitement for months before going. However, life is an adventure. You have had the courage to do what others dream of. We more usually regret the things we don't do, don't we? If it works out, you will never regret it, if it doesn't - you can go back - its not the end of the world. But at least at the end of your days, you can look back and say, "I did that!".

If we do not want to fear change, we must stay as we are and tread the safe path. I prefer the roller coaster.

You've done the hard part - keep going and if you feel a bit sad or panicky about it, look out the window or read a UK paper and remind yourself of why you are going. I drive to work every morning, mostly with my sunglasses on (though it is a bit wet in Sydney right now) and as a parrot flies past I think, "I live here!" and its fantastic.

Mrs Steve_Chal (aka Sarah)
Sarah

Well said! Today is a 'yes we are doing the right thing' day and I am sure everything will be fine. Just need to keep positive and I think like you said it is the reality of this is def happening as the container is due to collect everything. But thanks it was lovely to read your positive comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.