second hand car

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default second hand car

hi

What are the pros and cons of buying cars second hand??

dealer vs private

other half has greater than average knowledge on cars, but do you get extras eg guarantees from dealers???

many thanks

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

shurilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: second hand car

Originally Posted by heldownunder
hi

What are the pros and cons of buying cars second hand??

dealer vs private

other half has greater than average knowledge on cars, but do you get extras eg guarantees from dealers???

many thanks

Hi!
I am wondering about exactly the same questions. From my research and from what my friends in Melbourne told me, when you are buying from dealer you usually get warranty and road side assistance for one year. But the price is 2-3K higher for above 10K cars. Other than warranty there is no reason to buy it from dealer.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 10 year old Ford Laser from a dealer here in Adelaide 14 month ago. I got 3 year warranty with it - not had any problems at all with the car

Whether you get a warranty included in the price, or you have to buy your own will depend on the dealer and the car etc. Just don't let them make you spend more than you want to - I stuck to my budget even though I was there for over a hour with him trying to get an extra $1,500 out of me I stood up to walk out twice
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:03 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Which state are you interested in? Each state has different laws, particularly as regards compulsory warranty and roadworthyness certificates.

I bought a cheap banger ($1500) back in 2004 when I thought I was only going to be in Brisbane for a few months. Turned out the roadworthy certificate was a dud - cost me another $1500 to get the car fixed.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Which state are you interested in? Each state has different laws, particularly as regards compulsory warranty and roadworthyness certificates.

I bought a cheap banger ($1500) back in 2004 when I thought I was only going to be in Brisbane for a few months. Turned out the roadworthy certificate was a dud - cost me another $1500 to get the car fixed.
I had exactly the same problem with a private purchase when I'd newly arrived in Melbourne. Roadworthy was a dud and cost me about $1500 too - and he had the nerve to ask for his Elton John CD back!

Never liked the car since!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby bought a new(ish) car, and that cost him $1500 to fix up too.

I've bought two older second hand cars so far, (a 1992 Barina to learn to drive in for $4k and the above mentioned 2001 Ford Laser for $10k) and not had to change so much as a light bulb yet! Maybe I should come with you when you buy your car?