Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Searching for old friends

Searching for old friends

Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:57 am
Just Joined

yorkshirejoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Searching for old friends

Hi all of you enjoying a better winter than we're having summer!
I hope you don't mind me butting into your forum, but i'm trying to find some friends who moved to Oz a while back and we've lost touch. Has any body got any ideas as to how i might start. One lived in perth the last i knew, but the other, strictly speaking was a friend of my hubbys and moved down under when she was just a kid. He'd really like to contact her again. Come to think of it, maybe i shouldn't be trying to find her, she could be competion! oh well i'll deal with that if i have to! Once again hope you don't mind me gatecrashing
Regards to all
Di
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:04 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Searching for old friends

Originally posted by yorkshirejoy
I hope you don't mind me butting into your forum, but i'm trying to find some friends who moved to Oz a while back and we've lost touch. Has any body got any ideas as to how i might start. One lived in perth the last i knew, but the other, strictly speaking was a friend of my hubbys and moved down under when she was just a kid. He'd really like to contact her again. Come to think of it, maybe i shouldn't be trying to find her, she could be competion! oh well i'll deal with that if i have to! Once again hope you don't mind me gatecrashing
Regards to all
Di

Have you tried www.friendreunited.co.uk and look up the name if you have an idea of the school they went to you should be able to find them if they are on there. There is also a website for australia so you could do a name search on there.

That is where I would start. I have met up with old friends through the site and email others.

As to where you would go from there perhaps someone else may have ideas.

Where in Yorkshire are you from? I was from York until I moved

Jo
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:20 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

also try white pages

friends reunited was how some friends got in contact with me and have since met up with them at their home - just outside Brisbane
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:25 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Regards to all
Di

hi Di
theres also an aussie site which is linked to friendsreunited called www.schoolfriends.com.au . (I thinks that right!)
I got in touch with an old work colleague through it!!

good luck

sue
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen notices in the classifed sections of the newspaper, from people in Britain trying to trace old friends. Is is worth putting a small notice in the West Australian http://www.thewest.com.au/?

Or even giving a few details here on this board; you'd be amazed how us Poms seem to end up knowing so many other Poms in the area we now live, despite having never met up previously when living in Britain.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by walaj
also try white pages

friends reunited was how some friends got in contact with me and have since met up with them at their home - just outside Brisbane

Thanks Jo
I'm from Barnsley. You know Arthur Scargill, pits n all that!
I've put searches in both Friends Reunited sites and come up with nothing. One probleming that i don't know her name before she married and the other isn' registered on either site, but thanks for the tip. If you think of anything else will you be good enough to post it.
Regards
Di
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:28 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Thanks Jo
I'm from Barnsley. You know Arthur Scargill, pits n all that!
I've put searches in both Friends Reunited sites and come up with nothing. One probleming that i don't know her name before she married and the other isn' registered on either site, but thanks for the tip. If you think of anything else will you be good enough to post it.
Regards
Di
You can also put a "trying to find" question on friends reunited sister site Genes connected you have to be a paid up member which is about £7 a year but might be worth a try. Or even the paper where they used to live in the UK, you might find they still have family/friends around.

Good luck
Kala.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips. Keep your fingers crossed
Di