Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scottish Police Checks

Scottish Police Checks

Old May 27th 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scottish Police Checks

I posted on this topic a few weeks back, when we first applied for our checks as I was not sure I asked for the right type. We have now received our letter from Lothian Police and its defineteley not what we expected. First of all, we inadvertantly opened the letter without realising that it had been sealed by the police - we had to have it resealed by them so watch out. Secondly all it said was " the Chief Constable cannot trace any record for this person if nothing is enclosed with the letter" (or words to that affect) - hence the importance of the seal. I spoke to the Data Protection officer in the Police and said was told that some immigration offices are happy with this whereas others are not but this is all that they would supply to me. My question is has anybody applied using this type of check and were they sufficient. I dont want my application held up because we have not got something mopre substantive from the police. Should I apply for the English version, even though I have never lived there?
Old May 28th 2003, 7:49 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Scottish Police Checks

Originally posted by jasonK944
I posted on this topic a few weeks back, when we first applied for our checks as I was not sure I asked for the right type. We have now received our letter from Lothian Police and its defineteley not what we expected. First of all, we inadvertantly opened the letter without realising that it had been sealed by the police - we had to have it resealed by them so watch out. Secondly all it said was " the Chief Constable cannot trace any record for this person if nothing is enclosed with the letter" (or words to that affect) - hence the importance of the seal. I spoke to the Data Protection officer in the Police and said was told that some immigration offices are happy with this whereas others are not but this is all that they would supply to me. My question is has anybody applied using this type of check and were they sufficient. I dont want my application held up because we have not got something mopre substantive from the police. Should I apply for the English version, even though I have never lived there?
Hi

there is no point applying for the English version, as DIMIA will realise from your application that you have never lived there. I have heard of similar checks to the one you got being sufficient, so try not to worry.

Also, you were correct to open your letter first and get the to reseal it as this is the only way you would know if they had made a mistake.

Send it off, if it will not do them DIMIA will contact you and let you know what steps to take.

best of luck

Mel
Old May 28th 2003, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We sent for our police checks last Thursday and got them back yesterday. It came in the form of a letter from our local force (Lancashire) with a note attatched stating that due to technical difficulties at New Scotland Yard the info we had requested was enclosed. It was basically a letter saying that there was no information held about us on the police national computer.
When I originally rang for the forms I was told then that Scotland Yard were useless at getting the checks done and because of this immigration authorities were accepting letters from local forces as it is all the same information from the same computer database.
Sorry if its a bit waffly.
Old May 28th 2003, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Loki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scottish Police Checks

We had the same problem but my husband phoned to check 'cos really the letter was so nondescript you could have swayed both ways in the decision about whether there was a record or not. The woman on the telephone said they'd done the wrong check and sent off a different form.
My advice is to check with you local police and see if there is something else you should have.
Hope that helps