Reload this Page >

Scotland to Darwin

Scotland to Darwin

Old Oct 20th 2018, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

jennyrakasz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scotland to Darwin

Hi everyone
I'm new here so apologies if this question has already been covered. We're potentially moving to Darwin and wondered what it's like to live there. Mainly lived in sleepy Scotland with low crime levels and a cold climate. Emmigrated to New Zealand for 3 years and absolutely loved it, but had to then move back to the UK - Birmingham - and hate it here. Crime horrendous, too busy, too stressful and really miss the lifestyle of the Southern Hemisphere. We have x2 little children and a dog. We're looking for a simple life that's safe for the kids. Anyone have Darwin experience or tips? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland to Darwin

Not sure that Darwin really fits the bill for "safe" but there might be parts which will be safer than others. Sleepy Scotland would probably be a better bet and in Darwin you've got to love sweating - a lot - at all hours,
Old Oct 20th 2018, 7:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve not been myself but I’ve never heard any Australian, including Darwinians, with a kind word for it. Relentlessly humid and you can’t swim in the sea as either the jellyfish or saltwater crocs will get you.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

"Potentially" moving to Australia - are either one of you Australian or New Zealand Citizens? If not, what Australian visa do you hold?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 1:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennyrakasz
We're potentially moving to Darwin and wondered what it's like to live there. Mainly lived in sleepy Scotland with low crime levels and a cold climate.
Crime : wouldn't go to Darwin if I were honest, if that's a focus.

Weather : There's a reason there's a term for going nuts because of the heat/humidity (going troppo). It has nice weather for a few months, then it goes into the build up of heat and humidity, before the monsoon for months (wet & dry vs summer & winter), and then back to the nice weather.

People not born to it usually last a few years before moving.

If you are Scotland born, and liked NZ, might be worth seeing if Tasmania was open to you. They actually get snow ...

Last edited by GarryP; Oct 21st 2018 at 2:01 am.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find Darwin very different from pervious locations. Crime is equally an issue there as appears in British Midlands. There's a reason all those households maintain rather large dogs in their yards. NT of course is the murder capital of Australia, although more among indigenous people than majority.
Saying that I lived up there some years back and enjoyed it. Was younger and without responsibility though. Worst problems encountered was usually booze related and not always locals either. British back packers could be a right pain when intoxicated. Still I found it a very unique part of Australia. Sweaty certainly. Beaches not year round places for relief due to stingers. A number of the British migrants seemed to be of the mind a place for a few years before moving south. Quite a cosmopolitan city partly due to location so close to Asia.
During season the markets by the beach are great to attend. Very happening place that never tied off.
I lived very close to the city, not sure how I would have liked living in the satellite centres to where many go. All in all an interesting experience for a few years. Darwin is expensive though. A high number of rentals perhaps reflect the short termism of many living in the city. Many government workers, I crossed paths with, were spending time there with returning to usually Adelaide when their time was done.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:44 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

We lived in Darwin for a while and it's one place we've lived that I'd consider returning to, although probably only for a few years rather than forever. Found it much quicker to settle in than other places as most people are blow-ins and population can be similar to "expat" communities overseas. Rent was expensive and so are flights out.

We felt safety no better or worse than other cities - felt less safe in Sydney & Melbourne. We lived in Palmerston (satellite city) and my cousin is still in Howard Springs with no plans of moving. Plenty of employment opportunities if you stick around long enough - colleagues who've stayed have progressed into management sooner than those down south.