Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Sydney

Schools in Sydney

Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold
Default Schools in Sydney

We are currently considering a move to Sydney at the end of 2010 and I have started research into schools as this could be an important factor in where we live. I have been using the HSC rankings to assist me (thanks to to the people on BE who have previously posted links to the 2008 rankings), but I am also looking for recommendations on schools based on people's own experience.

By the time we move (if we move) I will have two children still in school - a daughter who will be moving into year 11 in high school and a son who will be moving into year 5 in primary.

My daughter is a high achiever academically and is very musical. She is currently in an independent, co-ed school, but I am happy for her to move to an all girls school.

My son is also bright, but tends to be distracted easily so needs to be in the right environment. He is not particularly sporty, but is musical (he plays two instruments). He is also in an independent, co-ed school at present, but I would consider an all boys school for him, provided it was not too "macho".

So far, I have received a few recommendations for schools for my daughter -Queenwood, Pymble Ladies' College, North Sydney Girls High School, SCEGGS, Sydney Girls High School, but only one - SHORE - for my son.

As the most successful schools will be oversubscribed or will rely on getting the right result in an entrance exam in the case of selective state schools, I am resigned to the fact that some of it might be pot luck and that we might have to pay $25k pa per child in school fees. But making a shortlist of schools to visit and working through it will help me decide whether the move will work from an education point of view.

As to location, we have had some thoughts on this, but we are trying to be open minded and realistic. My OH has previously lived in Mosman and we like it there, so the Lower North Shore obviously has appeal, but apart from the fact that we don't want to live too far from the CBD we have no fixed ideas on area, yet!

My OH is often in Sydney on business so he will also ask around, but any help from BE members who have children in Sydney schools would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Sydney

My two sons went to Scots College in Bellevue Hill. We were very happy with their achievements and don't have a bad thing to say about the school. Scots has in the past been perceived as rather sports-oriented but neither of our kids were the slightest bit sporty and they both did just fine. The school values academic achievment, music and drama prowess etc to the same degree as sporting achievments.

All Year 9 boys spend half the year at the school's bush campus in Kangaroo Valley, which was an aspect of the school that we particularly liked. Both our kids reckon that experience was one of the best they'd ever had.

A LOT of boys travel from the lower North Shore go to Scots - if fact kids come from all over the city - so you could still live in Mosman and send your son there. I think they have a special school bus from that side, if you didn't want your son to use public transport.

Highly recommended (by me ).
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NickyC
My two sons went to Scots College in Bellevue Hill. We were very happy with their achievements and don't have a bad thing to say about the school. Scots has in the past been perceived as rather sports-oriented but neither of our kids were the slightest bit sporty and they both did just fine. The school values academic achievment, music and drama prowess etc to the same degree as sporting achievments.

All Year 9 boys spend half the year at the school's bush campus in Kangaroo Valley, which was an aspect of the school that we particularly liked. Both our kids reckon that experience was one of the best they'd ever had.

A LOT of boys travel from the lower North Shore go to Scots - if fact kids come from all over the city - so you could still live in Mosman and send your son there. I think they have a special school bus from that side, if you didn't want your son to use public transport.

Highly recommended (by me ).
Thanks Nicky, I'll follow it up.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:39 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

One of the things about choosing a school is the feeling that you get when you walk around and see it in action. This is something that you cant pick up from paper/web based research.

Nevertheless, my wife works in SCEGS Redlands and highly rates it as a school. It is located in Cremorne and is accessible from most of the lower North Shore and Norther Beaches.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FHI
One of the things about choosing a school is the feeling that you get when you walk around and see it in action. This is something that you cant pick up from paper/web based research.
I couldn't agree more, which is why I would like to make a shortlist of schools to visit.

Nevertheless, my wife works in SCEGS Redlands and highly rates it as a school. It is located in Cremorne and is accessible from most of the lower North Shore and Norther Beaches.
Thanks for this - I'll follow it up.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Mine go to SCECGS. Very happy with it. Seem to produce very well rounded kids. Non-sporty kids get along fine. Very international with kids coming and going all the time.

Its unlikely you'll get your son into Shore unfortunately. You have to put them down on the wait list when they are born, but you could try.

If you want anymore info, please pm me.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Mine go to SCECGS. Very happy with it. Seem to produce very well rounded kids. Non-sporty kids get along fine. Very international with kids coming and going all the time.

Its unlikely you'll get your son into Shore unfortunately. You have to put them down on the wait list when they are born, but you could try.

If you want anymore info, please pm me.
Thank you.

Two recommendations for SCECGS - it must be good!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My academically bright, musical daughter goes to Ravenswood in Gordon, and really likes it. It has a great music section. It is smaller than PLC, and personally I preferred the friendly atmosphere rather than the "we are going to make leaders of them" attitude that came from PLC. But a lot depends on your children. My friend's eldest girl in y9 hated it! I've heard good things about Redlands. A lot of boys go to Knox, which is often teamed up with PLC for sporting/theatrical events. All these schools are good for access to the city, being on the train line. My OH commutes into the CBD from here and it isn't too bad, and prices are a bit cheaper than Mosman!! (Unless you live in Killara that is)
If your daughter is incredibly musically talented she could try to get into the Conservatorium- I nearly put DD there, but felt it wasn't as good academically and she was perhaps not quite good enough musically, though she did have a county scholarship in the UK. She is much happier when she isn't under pressure to be the elite.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My academically bright, musical daughter goes to Ravenswood in Gordon, and really likes it. It has a great music section. It is smaller than PLC, and personally I preferred the friendly atmosphere rather than the "we are going to make leaders of them" attitude that came from PLC. But a lot depends on your children. My friend's eldest girl in y9 hated it! I've heard good things about Redlands. A lot of boys go to Knox, which is often teamed up with PLC for sporting/theatrical events. All these schools are good for access to the city, being on the train line. My OH commutes into the CBD from here and it isn't too bad, and prices are a bit cheaper than Mosman!! (Unless you live in Killara that is)
If your daughter is incredibly musically talented she could try to get into the Conservatorium- I nearly put DD there, but felt it wasn't as good academically and she was perhaps not quite good enough musically, though she did have a county scholarship in the UK. She is much happier when she isn't under pressure to be the elite.
Thanks for the recommendations, which I'll follow up. However, the Conservatorium is probably not an option for my daughter (as musical as she is) because strong academics are the first priority.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Year 5 is a major intake year for all the private Sydney schools (a lot of people move their kids then from their local primary to avoid having to compete for high school places) so you may find it difficult to get a place in one of the more prestigeous schools. Barker (easily accessible from the North Shore train line) and Sydney Grammer (junior school in St. Ives) are another couple of academic boys' schools that come to mind. I've also heard good things about Marist in North Sydney, and if you want highly academic without the huge fees there's Oxford Falls Grammer (a co-ed Christian school).

Brigidine (Catholic) in St. Ives is supposed to be good for girls. Again, the fees will be a lot less than the schools you mention.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Year 5 is a major intake year for all the private Sydney schools (a lot of people move their kids then from their local primary to avoid having to compete for high school places) so you may find it difficult to get a place in one of the more prestigeous schools.
It's a bit of a worry that year 5 is a transition year for a lot of children, as I had hoped we might benefit from it not being an official intake year. Obviously I'll get a better feel for my children's chances once I start contacting/visiting the schools.

Barker (easily accessible from the North Shore train line) and Sydney Grammer (junior school in St. Ives) are another couple of academic boys' schools that come to mind. I've also heard good things about Marist in North Sydney, and if you want highly academic without the huge fees there's Oxford Falls Grammer (a co-ed Christian school).
My short list is now getting to be quite a long list, but thank you for the suggestions - I'll look into these schools too. Do you have children at any of these schools? If so, what is your experience?

Brigidine (Catholic) in St. Ives is supposed to be good for girls. Again, the fees will be a lot less than the schools you mention.
As we're not Catholics I suspect our prospects would be limited, but I like the idea of low fees!

Many thanks for your response.