Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools and suburbs in Melbourne, help please.

Schools and suburbs in Melbourne, help please.

Old May 19th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default Schools and suburbs in Melbourne, help please.

hi all

are oak park , pascoevale south and strathmore north safe to live by with a 3 year old (single mom ) in melbourne ?

thanks
mala
Old May 19th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default primary schools

hi

1. could anyone tell me if strathmore north primary , oak park primary or pascoe vale south primary is better??

2. also my kid was born in december 2006, that means she will be schooling in 2012 according to aus education system right?

3. if so i have to apply before april 2011?

thanks
mala
Old May 19th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: are these safe places to live?

anyone pls?
Old May 19th 2010, 11:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: primary schools

There are differences between the individual States, but the schools you mention are in Victoria, so...
Government schools in Victoria welcome enrolments for children who turn five years of age by April 30 of the year in which they start school.
My calculations show that the ages at which a child would START each year, is:
Prep - 4 yrs 9 mth to 5 yrs 9 mth
Year 1 - 5 yrs 9 mth to 6 yrs 9 mth

Old May 19th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mala
hi

1. could anyone tell me if strathmore north primary , oak park primary or pascoe vale south primary is better??

2. also my kid was born in december 2006, that means she will be schooling in 2012 according to aus education system right?

3. if so i have to apply before april 2011?

thanks
mala
Im not sure how anyone could know how good those primary schools are unless theyve attended all three. Pick the one thats closest to you. Teachers and pupils are probably the same throughout.

As a kid, I was put in the class ahead a I was born at the end of the year. If your kids are a little slow then keep them back if you can.

Dont think it matters when you apply, the kids have to go to school so it doesnt really matter when you apply, they cant refuse, surely.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools and suburbs in Melbourne, help please.

Threads merged. Easier for replies. Changed the title slightly as well, hope you don't mind.

Good luck. If you do an advanced search, you should get some good suburb info for Melbourne, if Melbournians are not online to help at the moment.
Old May 19th 2010, 12:13 pm
ABCDiamond

hi

NAPLAN scores show these rankings:

Year 5
2781 Strathmore North Primary School,Strathmore,VIC,3041
2686 Pascoe Vale South Primary School, Pascoe Vale South, VIC
2539 Oak Park Primary School, Oak Park, VIC
2453 Average all schools

Year 3
2244 Pascoe Vale South Primary School, Pascoe Vale South, VIC
2230 Oak Park Primary School, Oak Park, VIC
2206 Strathmore North Primary School,Strathmore,VIC,3041
2044 average all schools

Old May 19th 2010, 7:50 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

are oak park , pascoevale south and strathmore north safe to live by with a 3 year old (single mom ) in melbourne ?

thanks
mala
Good mornign Mala

there is a poster called Ozzie eagle who lives near by in Coburg area. I would suggest he will either see this thread and post or you search him out and pm him (personal message).

You would be about 10km north of the city - did the location come about via job prospects for yourself?

We live south east of the city (about 7km) so dont know that area particularly well. But generally anywhere in Melbourne will be safe and good to bring up children
Old May 20th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Good mornign Mala

there is a poster called Ozzie eagle who lives near by in Coburg area. I would suggest he will either see this thread and post or you search him out and pm him (personal message).

You would be about 10km north of the city - did the location come about via job prospects for yourself?

We live south east of the city (about 7km) so dont know that area particularly well. But generally anywhere in Melbourne will be safe and good to bring up children
thanks... thats such a big relief!
Old May 20th 2010, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Threads merged. Easier for replies. Changed the title slightly as well, hope you don't mind.

Good luck. If you do an advanced search, you should get some good suburb info for Melbourne, if Melbournians are not online to help at the moment.
thank you
Old May 20th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There are differences between the individual States, but the schools you mention are in Victoria, so...

My calculations show that the ages at which a child would START each year, is:
Prep - 4 yrs 9 mth to 5 yrs 9 mth
Year 1 - 5 yrs 9 mth to 6 yrs 9 mth
thanks ABC.. that would mean my kid born in 2006 december would start PREP in 2012 right ? so i apply in 2011 april ? am i right or have i got it all wrong?
Old May 20th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Im not sure how anyone could know how good those primary schools are unless theyve attended all three. Pick the one thats closest to you. Teachers and pupils are probably the same throughout.

As a kid, I was put in the class ahead a I was born at the end of the year. If your kids are a little slow then keep them back if you can.

Dont think it matters when you apply, the kids have to go to school so it doesnt really matter when you apply, they cant refuse, surely.
right now she is attending pre school in my home country. she can colour pictures and and draw a blob man and also she can count to 20 and and do pre writing. is that enough to start pre school? or should i keep her back? but she is super SHY... and refuses to talk to teachers!
Old May 20th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
NAPLAN scores show these rankings:

Year 5
2781 Strathmore North Primary School,Strathmore,VIC,3041
2686 Pascoe Vale South Primary School, Pascoe Vale South, VIC
2539 Oak Park Primary School, Oak Park, VIC
2453 Average all schools

Year 3
2244 Pascoe Vale South Primary School, Pascoe Vale South, VIC
2230 Oak Park Primary School, Oak Park, VIC
2206 Strathmore North Primary School,Strathmore,VIC,3041
2044 average all schools
hi i checked the 2009 scores and http://osps.vic.edu.au/ seems to have good rank. how is this area to live in ?

this is a state school right ?
Old May 20th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

also any pharmacies, medical centers ,hospitals , grocery stores, super markets close by in oak leigh?
Old May 20th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

also any pharmacies, medical centers ,hospitals , grocery stores, super markets close by in oak leigh?
Oakleigh is a very different place to Oak Park! About 15kms and the city in between.

We are looking to buy in Pascoe Vale, and there are plenty of good little schools, lots of shopping strips dotted around- so it really depends on your exact street to determine what amenties are around.

A good friend lives in PV- hence our interest- and she recommends it as a good place tp be with children

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.