Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools - St Ives, NSW and surrounds

Schools - St Ives, NSW and surrounds

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:55 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Schools - St Ives, NSW and surrounds

Is there anyone on here who lives near St Ives who can advise on schools in that and surrounding areas?

Cheers
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - St Ives, NSW and surrounds

Originally Posted by herrchook
Is there anyone on here who lives near St Ives who can advise on schools in that and surrounding areas?

Cheers
2 people i know of that live in St Ives are Sandra and Carolinephillips. They may be able to help
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:30 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you interested in private schools and/or Catholic schools and/or NSW schools? Primary or High Schools? Any special needs? Girls or boys?
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:56 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Are you interested in private schools and/or Catholic schools and/or NSW schools? Primary or High Schools? Any special needs? Girls or boys?
Preferrably private but would consider state schools with a great track record. At the moment, would be looking at primary, but for future need to think of what high schools are in the area too. Co-ed preferred and would maybe consider catholic but not a necessity.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:00 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Best High School in the area is Killara but you need to be in the catchment area to get in.

My son went to St Ives and he did alright, it has GAT classes and additional support for academic kids but has gone a long way down over recent years in my opinion. We pulled out daughter out even though we originally sent the children there because of the deaf unit for her.

There are large numbers of Asian children attending the North Shore senior schools. This is because of their academic records and children attending school from overseas. I have no issue with this but can lead to some groups being formed in schools.

Daughter is now at Mercy College Chatswood (Catholic PriVate) and finally flourishing after a few traumatic years. I am not religious I chose the school for the focused care for the child and it has worked well in our case.

There is another Catholic school in St Ives I know of Brigidene - good education standard pretty strict and much more expensive.

Son and daughter have lots of friends who have attended many of the schools in the area. Private fees in senior schools are going to be around the 20K plus mark and going higher. Pymble Ladies Collage and Barker are possibly two of the highest rated ones. Waiting lists etc and you pay to get their names on the waiting lists, so can be an expensive game if thinking about hedging bets.

Primary schools - lots and lots in the area with good reputations, have found the majority of people send their children to public primary (unless they have chosen catholic primaries) and then move them into the private system in the high school years. St Ives North Primary has a very good reputation - talk to them about catchment area and go and visit them it will be worth it to compare, this is just round the corner from me). St Ives Primary is not one of my favorites but it has been six years since my daughter has been there and it might have improved but have known families with other issues there.

You may want to think about primary schools and coaching for the state grammars. Not all primaries follow GAT classes and coaching. There is great deal of pressure for these places and personal decisions etc will dictate if this is right for you and your children. But be informed and look into the individual schools take on these because it would be a shame to have to move a child later if you then want a more streamed education. But then again many do sit for the streamed classes later and move schools in the last two years of primary. It can be very cut throat on the North Shore education system.

The snobbery factor - yes it bloody well does exist in Australia and none more so than Elite Sydney schools. My son has managed to overcome much of this and his Friends in St Ives come from a large mixture of the surrounding areas schools. He did suffer for a while believing he would have been better served at Barker during his year 11 and 12. And now at University although there is mixture obviously, there is still a level of "did you go to the right school" This is not so obvious to us blow ins so we are a little divorced from the undertones but after 8 years in St Ives I find even now the reaction to the fact my son went to St Ives and not one of the better privates a little unsettling. I am forgiven for my daughter because she at least is at a "private" !!!!

Listen - all of this is my opinion obviously and I am very open with it - so you need to do the research for your needs and family requirement. Happy to chat further if you want, pm me. I am also sure there are a couple of others on here with great opinions and information. Roscarrbery has children in the international school I think. Wahronga high and primary are top rated I believe you might find someone who has children there.

Best of Luck and have fun
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:36 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Sandra
Best High School in the area is Killara but you need to be in the catchment area to get in.

My son went to St Ives and he did alright, it has GAT classes and additional support for academic kids but has gone a long way down over recent years in my opinion. We pulled out daughter out even though we originally sent the children there because of the deaf unit for her.

There are large numbers of Asian children attending the North Shore senior schools. This is because of their academic records and children attending school from overseas. I have no issue with this but can lead to some groups being formed in schools.

Daughter is now at Mercy College Chatswood (Catholic PriVate) and finally flourishing after a few traumatic years. I am not religious I chose the school for the focused care for the child and it has worked well in our case.

There is another Catholic school in St Ives I know of Brigidene - good education standard pretty strict and much more expensive.

Son and daughter have lots of friends who have attended many of the schools in the area. Private fees in senior schools are going to be around the 20K plus mark and going higher. Pymble Ladies Collage and Barker are possibly two of the highest rated ones. Waiting lists etc and you pay to get their names on the waiting lists, so can be an expensive game if thinking about hedging bets.

Primary schools - lots and lots in the area with good reputations, have found the majority of people send their children to public primary (unless they have chosen catholic primaries) and then move them into the private system in the high school years. St Ives North Primary has a very good reputation - talk to them about catchment area and go and visit them it will be worth it to compare, this is just round the corner from me). St Ives Primary is not one of my favorites but it has been six years since my daughter has been there and it might have improved but have known families with other issues there.

You may want to think about primary schools and coaching for the state grammars. Not all primaries follow GAT classes and coaching. There is great deal of pressure for these places and personal decisions etc will dictate if this is right for you and your children. But be informed and look into the individual schools take on these because it would be a shame to have to move a child later if you then want a more streamed education. But then again many do sit for the streamed classes later and move schools in the last two years of primary. It can be very cut throat on the North Shore education system.

The snobbery factor - yes it bloody well does exist in Australia and none more so than Elite Sydney schools. My son has managed to overcome much of this and his Friends in St Ives come from a large mixture of the surrounding areas schools. He did suffer for a while believing he would have been better served at Barker during his year 11 and 12. And now at University although there is mixture obviously, there is still a level of "did you go to the right school" This is not so obvious to us blow ins so we are a little divorced from the undertones but after 8 years in St Ives I find even now the reaction to the fact my son went to St Ives and not one of the better privates a little unsettling. I am forgiven for my daughter because she at least is at a "private" !!!!

Listen - all of this is my opinion obviously and I am very open with it - so you need to do the research for your needs and family requirement. Happy to chat further if you want, pm me. I am also sure there are a couple of others on here with great opinions and information. Roscarrbery has children in the international school I think. Wahronga high and primary are top rated I believe you might find someone who has children there.

Thanks so much for taking the time to get back in such detail Sandra. We're facing the possibility of a move to your neck of the woods, but having finally got my girls settled into a fabulous school here in Melbourne where they're flourishing, I'm dreading the thought of having to start again and comment from those who know the schools in that area is priceless.

I have no doubt I'll be taking you up on your offer of a pm, thanks. For now, I need to do as much research as possible. We don't even know if we need to move for sure, but I think that once the decision is made, it'll be a quick move so I need to keep ahead of the game. Oh the joys!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:43 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Thanks so much for taking the time to get back in such detail Sandra. We're facing the possibility of a move to your neck of the woods, but having finally got my girls settled into a fabulous school here in Melbourne where they're flourishing, I'm dreading the thought of having to start again and comment from those who know the schools in that area is priceless.

I have no doubt I'll be taking you up on your offer of a pm, thanks. For now, I need to do as much research as possible. We don't even know if we need to move for sure, but I think that once the decision is made, it'll be a quick move so I need to keep ahead of the game. Oh the joys!!!
No worries, 2 girls mixed private primary - not sure I know one.

St Ives North and St Ives Primary you need to look at for State schools. Private, think about Brigidene (my neighbour is a teacher there - and a govenor at Mercy where my daughter goes).

Are you looking at Private senior schools - let me know if any particularly take your fancy and I will see if someone knows more.

From kindergarten to Year 9 Barker is out as that is only co-educational from year 10 for girls.

Use the my schools website for further information

Abbotsleigh
Pymble Ladies College
Ravenswood

all excellent results and good reputations - all girls though

There is one I have heard up which is up the road at Terrey Hills (lovely area to live if you can afford some land) Northern Beaches Christian school is a mixed school.

Masada College - private Jewish school (heard it does take other faiths) is the dogs bollocks when it comes to education. Excuse my french but it has very very good HSC results. The primary part I believe is in Lindfield.

Anyway this was an update because of you stating it is two girls.

The P&Cs here are very active so being part of the school is easy (in fact harder not to be!) The state schools here have some of the highest donations for their parental voluntary contributions I think Killara is one of the highest in NSW.

Full of moumental useless facts about this area! Sorry
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

People swear by the Bush School in Wahroonga. Its state.

http://www.wahroonga-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Gillianc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

We're looking at moving to the north shore / northern beaches and are looking at schools too. Thank you for your very informative post Sandra, it's very useful.

We were initially going to go for a state primary school but have heard that lots of people move them in the last 2 years of primary as after that it can be difficult to get in? Our son will be 7 when we arrive so rather than move him again shortly after we get there we thought we'd go for private straight away.

Does anyone have any information about St Lukes, Oxford Falls Grammar School, Roseville, Sydney Grammer (St Ives) or Newington?

Thanks very much
Gill
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:47 am
Gone Senile Member

Sydney Grammar St Ives is the prep dept feeder school for Sydney Grammar. The senior school has entrance exams for all boys coming from other schools and your child is not guaranteed a place in senior school just by going to the prep. They are very academic and the regime can be tough later on. We have known two boys drop out later because they didn't feel they had a life with the long days and the travel into the city. I have only heard good things about the prep but they didn't perform as well as some of the areas primaries in the general myschools scores - interesting but not the be all and end all. First and foremost is your requirements for your family and children. Knowing what makes your children happy is more important that all scores and costs.

I have no idea about the others.

For really academic children there are two state grammars Sydney Boys High School and Sydney Girls High School which are public schools. The competition for places is intense and many of the areas children are in crammer classes and have exam tutors. Slightly more understandable when you consider fees of approx 25K a year for independents not including extras and uniform for more years 7-12.

I could not persuade my son to try the exam / entrance into Sydney Boys (I wasn't providing extra lessons etc) this was just after his year eight results when they have a new intake. By then he was happy and very settled at St Ives and to be fair expecting him to make another move into what would have been his fourth school was a little much.

I understand your wish to make the move as seamless as possible. Good luck hope some more people have advice on the other schools you are looking at.

PS also happy for anyone on here to challenge my view, it is only that a viewpoint and I am sure the people asking and others reading would love to hear from more than me

Cheers
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Gillianc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sandra, that's good to know. I'd heard from someone else that the academic pressures can be immense and, along with the travel to the city, take their toll. The idea of all the cramming to get into a selective school makes me a bit hesitant too.

Does anyone have any experience of the other schools?

Thanks
Gill
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:02 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Gillianc
Hi all

We're looking at moving to the north shore / northern beaches and are looking at schools too. Thank you for your very informative post Sandra, it's very useful.

We were initially going to go for a state primary school but have heard that lots of people move them in the last 2 years of primary as after that it can be difficult to get in? Our son will be 7 when we arrive so rather than move him again shortly after we get there we thought we'd go for private straight away.

Does anyone have any information about St Lukes, Oxford Falls Grammar School, Roseville, Sydney Grammer (St Ives) or Newington?

Thanks very much
Gill
Seems we've a lot in common - same name, and both will have 7yos going to a new school in possibly the same area. Where are you at the moment?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Derry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sandra

Hi Sandra,

hope you dont mind me jumping in but what are GAT classes?

Moving over in Oct to Balgowlah Heights and have sorted schools out but was interested in the above

thanks
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:07 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by Derry
Hi Sandra,

hope you dont mind me jumping in but what are GAT classes?

Moving over in Oct to Balgowlah Heights and have sorted schools out but was interested in the above

thanks

Gifted and talented (GAT) it is a way streaming the kids in public high schools but not all high schools run the programs. Some primaries have GAT classes also for support into selective high schools.

I grew up in Northern Ireland when it still had the 11+ so I am fairly familiar with the process but it is not exactly similiar here in NSW

this might give you some more information http://www.aussieeducator.org.au/edu...as/gifted.html

You also need to find out the extra support the GAT classes give in the schools you may be interested in; it may not always suit your children.

Good luck
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We pulled our eldest out of St. Ives High after 7 weeks, an American girl who started the same day was gone after 4 - I know people who send their kids there who are happy, but I couldn't honestly recommend it if you have a choice. As Sandra says, if you want a public high school around here Killara is really the one to aim for, but you will have to be in catchment for a place.

We spent 20 months in St. Ives and are just up the road in North Turramurra now so obviously looked at local schools. There are three public primaries in St. Ives - St. Ives Public, St. Ives North and St. Ives Park. Of the three St. Ives North definitely has the best reputation - I know quite a few people who send their kids there who are very happy with it. We lived across the road from St. Ives Park but it just didn't appeal - very small and uninspiring. My kids (7, 11 and 17) go to Northern Beaches Christian School (NBCS) in Terrey Hills which is absolutely fantastic and really reasonable in terms of fees. It's mixed and goes from pre-school to Y12. It is very progressive in terms of implementing best practice in education and uses IT in a totally integrated way at all stages within the school (the Sydney Centre for Innovation in Learning is based onsite). However, it has got very popular over the past few years so the only year with spaces for next year is Y3; they have closed the waiting lists for some years but I don't know which ones. The school bus picks my kids up pretty much outside the house and drops them back across the road so the fact that it isn't local is no big deal. One of the things that might surprise you here is how many kids travel quite long distances to get to school, and it is really common to see kids wearing four or five different uniforms all waiting for their buses. School transport is free over 2k if you have PR, on a 457 you would have to pay.

For the person who asked about Oxford Falls Grammer, it is supposed to be very good. It's a pretty academic school if that's what you are looking for, with high expectations and standards of behaviour. Some friends of mine have taught there are say only good things about it. Roseville is supposed to be very good as well (girls only), if I had only been looking for my daughter I would have checked it out.

I think I'm the only person who has ever heard only bad things about Wahroonga public (the "Bush school"). It is very popular but I know a couple of expat families who had bad experiences with bullying and staff who were very dismissive and unwelcoming. Obviously that's subjective though.

At the end of the day, schools are such a personal choice other people's experiences/opinions are a useful starting point, but you need to look yourself. We rented in St. Ives basically because someone had recommended St. Ives High to us, so it was a bit ironic that within weeks we had no reason to be there. There has been a real influx of expats around St. Ives in recent years and the public primary schools appear to be enforcing their catchment areas so if you are planning on renting on arrival, you really need to try and find a school first which is easier said than done. Privates obviously don't have catchment areas but the popular ones have long waiting lists. A lot of kids around here do move from public to private in Y5 to guarantee a Y7 place. I'm happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.