Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Shellharbour & Wollongong area

Schools in Shellharbour & Wollongong area

Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:35 pm
Olibeneli_

Default Schools in Shellharbour & Wollongong area

Folks........anyone out there with some comments on schools in Shellharbour and Wollongong area.

I have read websites of the Shellharbour Anglican College and The Illawarra Grammar School - both are fee paying but TIGS is a lot more expensive it seems.

We are not overly religious so Catholic schools are probably out. My boys in the Uk go to the local primary school (can't afford to go private)...but in Oz private may be an affordable option. From what i have seen on websites I like the approach they have - uniform and homework being two aspects. Kids at my boys current school look like they are going to the park not school !

Anyways...........any views out there on good schools in these areas ?

cheers

Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:39 pm
blossom

Default Re: Schools in Shellharbour & Wollongong area

Originally Posted by Olibeneli_
Folks........anyone out there with some comments on schools in Shellharbour and Wollongong area.

I have read websites of the Shellharbour Anglican College and The Illawarra Grammar School - both are fee paying but TIGS is a lot more expensive it seems.

We are not overly religious so Catholic schools are probably out. My boys in the Uk go to the local primary school (can't afford to go private)...but in Oz private may be an affordable option. From what i have seen on websites I like the approach they have - uniform and homework being two aspects. Kids at my boys current school look like they are going to the park not school !

Anyways...........any views out there on good schools in these areas ?

cheers
Hi

My daughter attended Figtree Primary, then we moved her to Little Flower (St Therese's) Catholic School at Mangerton, where she excelled and did far better than the State School.

From their she went to St Mary's Catholic School and then won a scholarship to TIGS. Both of these schools were excellent, but if you could afford TIGS, then I would definitely send children there. It is a very good school and very caring. Cousin's children went there from Kindergarten right through to Year 12 and both did very well.

The boys Catholic Senior School, Edmund Rice, is also an excellent school for boys with many boys going on to have public / sporting careers. St Mary's (girls) is the sister school to Edmond Rice.

Unfortunately cannot help with schools in the Shellharbour area, but from our experience the catholic system is excellent, especially in the Wollongong region. I would not hesitate to try and get your children into one of them - and don't worry about the religion aspect it is not as bad as one would imagine.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

By the way how is Wollongong these days?

regards
Blossom

Old Jun 29th 2005, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
Hi

My daughter attended Figtree Primary, then we moved her to Little Flower (St Therese's) Catholic School at Mangerton, where she excelled and did far better than the State School.

From their she went to St Mary's Catholic School and then won a scholarship to TIGS. Both of these schools were excellent, but if you could afford TIGS, then I would definitely send children there. It is a very good school and very caring. Cousin's children went there from Kindergarten right through to Year 12 and both did very well.

The boys Catholic Senior School, Edmund Rice, is also an excellent school for boys with many boys going on to have public / sporting careers. St Mary's (girls) is the sister school to Edmond Rice.

Unfortunately cannot help with schools in the Shellharbour area, but from our experience the catholic system is excellent, especially in the Wollongong region. I would not hesitate to try and get your children into one of them - and don't worry about the religion aspect it is not as bad as one would imagine.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

By the way how is Wollongong these days?

regards
Blossom
Thank you for your post......very helpful to get opinions from people that have actually experienced things.

Right now I am in the UK.......hopng to go next summer-ish. I was in Shellharbour area in March and April this year............lovely.

Although the Uk weather is nice at the moment I am really hacked off with life here. The biggest wrench is that I like and have a good job and that worries me if we move.........but dep down I ned to think of where is best for my kids.

cheers
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:19 am
blossom

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Thank you for your post......very helpful to get opinions from people that have actually experienced things.

Right now I am in the UK.......hopng to go next summer-ish. I was in Shellharbour area in March and April this year............lovely.

Although the Uk weather is nice at the moment I am really hacked off with life here. The biggest wrench is that I like and have a good job and that worries me if we move.........but dep down I ned to think of where is best for my kids.

cheers
We were in Wollongong from 81 - 94 and loved it, our daughter was almost 6 when we went out there, but we returned after many years. My daughter has never settled in England and cannot wait to get back - only now she has two children 9 + 7! They, fortunately get immediate Australian Citizenship so once she has her finances sorted they are off. I am pleased really, because having grown up there, she can appreciate how much better it will be for her children.

We will join them as soon as we can sell the house - but I must admit it is not looking very good at the moment.

Good luck to you in your new life in the GONG, as you have already been there, you know what to expect and if you need anymore info, PM me.

Blossom