Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools to Recommend

Schools to Recommend

Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Schools to Recommend

Can anybody help with infor about suitable schools in either:

north Brisbane - Redcliffe area

Southport (Gld Coast) in addition to St Hilda's

Ipswich

or even Canberra

Eldest daughter is most probably dyslexic. In the process of getting assessed. Nright and inetligent but needs teh right sort of assistance.

We are both teachers and ghave taught in QLD so we know the systems - but not specific schools in the areas.

we are thinking private if only form a number in the class viewpoint but am open to suggestions.

Berian
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Scarborough on the Redcliffe Peninsula and have two children of 11 and 14. Robert (11 yr old) goes to Scarborough State School and we are very happy with the teaching and the support from the school. We have no experience as far as dyslexia is concerned but the school does have a very good special needs programme etc. It's a big school with 1,000 pupils but it never feels that way as all the teachers seem to know all the kids and the head master is excellent.
Hannah (the other one) attends Grace Lutheran College and the only way to describe this school....FANTASTIC!!! Again, don't know about the dyslexia side of things but it's worth investigating. (Grace is a private school by the way)

Good luck, it's the hardest thing choosing a school from the other side of the world !

Claire
Old Apr 27th 2004, 3:39 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools to Recommend

Originally posted by Berian
Can anybody help with infor about suitable schools in either:

north Brisbane - Redcliffe area

Southport (Gld Coast) in addition to St Hilda's

Ipswich

or even Canberra

Eldest daughter is most probably dyslexic. In the process of getting assessed. Nright and inetligent but needs teh right sort of assistance.

We are both teachers and ghave taught in QLD so we know the systems - but not specific schools in the areas.

we are thinking private if only form a number in the class viewpoint but am open to suggestions.

Berian
Its much more common to send your kids to private school here, especially at senior level. Consequently, you probably won't get smaller class sizes. In my area, only 1/3 of parents send their kids to senior state schools. Ipswich private schools have a very good reputation. I have my sons name down for the boys school there. I've also got his name down for Brisbane Grammar but I've been told that the class is full already. He's just started year 5 and wouldn't go there till year 8, so you have to apply as soon as possible. (They also charged me $200 for the privilege of finding out his year is full )

Unfortunately, Queensland education doesn't have a very good website, so you have to look at schools individually, rather than sticking in selection criteria.

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/directory/

I was also told at Ipswich Grammar that if he had special needs, he probably wouldn't get a place. So I would make thorough enquiries before parting with any enrolment fees.

Jane