Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Perth

Schools in Perth

Old May 27th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Schools in Perth

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. We are hoping to go to Perth by the end of the year. We feel now that the Northern suburbs will most likely be our destination. Someone told me that the state primary schools are not the best and its better to send your children to private (I have a 9 yr old). Is this true or not?

Also, not really knowing the areas up North at all, can anyone recommend some good schools in the area, schools that have a very good reputation.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old May 27th 2006, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future
Default Re: Schools in Perth

Originally Posted by macker
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. We are hoping to go to Perth by the end of the year. We feel now that the Northern suburbs will most likely be our destination. Someone told me that the state primary schools are not the best and its better to send your children to private (I have a 9 yr old). Is this true or not?

Also, not really knowing the areas up North at all, can anyone recommend some good schools in the area, schools that have a very good reputation.

I would also appreciate any advice. We are hoping to arrive for the start of the 2007 school year and will have a year 2 daughter and our son will be due to start kindergarten. We have contacted several private schools and been told there is no chance of vacancies for next year. Which are the good state primaries? any help would be appreciated.
Old May 28th 2006, 1:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I totally disagree about the state primary schools. I don't know of any that have a bad reputation. Some parents assume they are rubbish because they don't have the same environment as UK primary schools which in my book is better. My daughter has never been happier here in school. We are moving suburbs and she looked mortified at the prospect of moving schools. Some of the high schools leave a lot to be desired and a lot of people send their kids to private when it comes to year 8. My opinion is don't waste your money, save it for Year 8.
Old May 28th 2006, 1:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Govt. primary schools are fine. A lot depends on the teacher.

Good luck getting in to private, you'll probably have a long wait.
Old May 28th 2006, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I teach in a private school (secondary) but send my child to a state primary.

The common view of teachers (and I suppose they should know!) is that provided the primary is good one and not full of kids who have neglectful parents, send your kids to state primary and private secondary.

After nearly a year here I now think that the best state schools in Perth are not as good as the best state schools in England. Mainly (and I stress mainly because it isn't the sole reason) this is due to the nature of the curriculum and what I see is a far too laid back approach to the basics.
Old May 28th 2006, 2:53 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with NB and NKSK my son is 9 and is doing fine at a state primary. However, we will be thinking of sending him to a private seconary school.
Old May 28th 2006, 3:23 am
www.perthcrest.com.au

The Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Have to agree with NB and NKSK my son is 9 and is doing fine at a state primary. However, we will be thinking of sending him to a private seconary school.

Our two (8yrs and 6yrs) go to a state primary in duncraig (Davallia), are abosolutely love it there! They are happier at school then I have ever seen them, and doing presentations etc, which they never did in the uk.

Nicola
x
Old May 28th 2006, 5:14 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

My kids go to state primary and will go to state high school too. We are non relogious and feel it would be hypocritical to send them to a private school which is based on religion. There are good state secondary schools out there too.

If you don't fancy the private route for whatever reason then a good option would be Kinross College, it is a middle school (year 6-10) so your nine year old would go there from feb 2007 to the end of year 10 and then go on to Mindarie Senior College to complete years 11 and 12. Both schools have a very good reputation as does Kinross Primary school.

Lynn
Old May 28th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Have to agree with Lynn that Kinross College is one of the better schools in the Northern suburbs!!!! It is so good that people are desperate to buy in Kinross, as you have to live within the catchment to get your kids in the school.
Cant really compare the system with the schools in the UK. I had one son that did terible in the UK schooling system and one that is going great in the Australian system. Different kids............different curriculum!!!
Old May 28th 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

Our son who is 6 and goes to a low fee ($2000 pa) paying Anglican school, which we are happy with, he has done really well, they do lots of certificates and awards. Rather alot of homework for a 6 year old but managable, they don't pressure the children to do it.
I think it helped coming here early October so he started school before the end of term and made some friends before the long summer holidays.
Old May 28th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies. From what I can now gather from all your information is that it seems the state primary schools are fine. I am not looking at High schools yet as my oldest is 9 yrs and the youngest is 2 and a half. Will have to get in touch with Kinross College and see what they have to say. Any others schools that you could recommend that have a good name in around the NOR?? I will check out Duncraig too but a friend of mine was over on a recce recently and even though she loved Duncraig, she said the property was expensive. Prices really have shot up haven't they? Also, can anyone tell me what year a 9 yr old (will only be 9 next Wednesday) would be in, I'm a bit confused on that one too.

Thanks
Old May 28th 2006, 10:00 am
www.perthcrest.com.au

The Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud of

I will check out Duncraig too but a friend of mine was over on a recce recently and even though she loved Duncraig, she said the property was expensive. Prices really have shot up haven't they? Also, can anyone tell me what year a 9 yr old (will only be 9 next Wednesday) would be in, I'm a bit confused on that one too.

Thanks
Prices have certainly shot up big time round here, we came over last about 18 months and the difference in prices since then is crazy.

My boy is 9 in Dec and was put into year 3 here, but he has 9 year olds in his class, so I would imagine your child would be year 3.

Nicola
x
Old May 28th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for that. Do you know what the average size of a class is?
Old May 28th 2006, 10:28 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies. From what I can now gather from all your information is that it seems the state primary schools are fine. I am not looking at High schools yet as my oldest is 9 yrs and the youngest is 2 and a half. Will have to get in touch with Kinross College and see what they have to say. Any others schools that you could recommend that have a good name in around the NOR?? I will check out Duncraig too but a friend of mine was over on a recce recently and even though she loved Duncraig, she said the property was expensive. Prices really have shot up haven't they? Also, can anyone tell me what year a 9 yr old (will only be 9 next Wednesday) would be in, I'm a bit confused on that one too.

Thanks
Be easier to point you in the right direction if you are able to tell us how much you are able/want to spend on a house either to buy or rent. Then schools in appropriate areas.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi there

i did a google search on 'schools in WA' and a really good website called 'Department of Education and training ....' came up which i found really good (really sorry can't do that technical stuff of doing a link for you), i know its not quite the same as actually being there and looking at the schools in person but it has given me an idea of where to start when we get out there in the next few months (very wishful thinking-pl pl DIMIA), you can click on the links and get some really good reports on lots of different aspects of each school (both primary & secondary).

hope this helps

little bear x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.