Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schools north of Perth for tiddlers (& other schooling questions)

schools north of Perth for tiddlers (& other schooling questions)

Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Default schools north of Perth for tiddlers (& other schooling questions)

Cameron 4 (nearly 5) and Brandon 6 (nearly 7) year old boys will be starting a new school soon..
can anyone give any advice about good ,bad ...great schools in the area?

also we are presuming that my youngest will be starting in February is this correct ..his DOB is 29/08/2002

which is a shame as he can already read and write and hope he doesnt get too bored having to go over all he has learned already.....

which year will my eldest be starting in Feb too DOB 20/11/2000

cheers guys ash, helen, brandon & cameron
Old Jul 17th 2007, 10:00 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: schools north of Perth for tiddlers (& other schooling questions)

Your son will start reception year in Feb 2008 in Oz.

We're in the same position as you. Our son was born 16/08/2002. We're going to Oz early 2008. So in England he will have done his reception year and will have done 1/3 of year 1. However, in Oz he will have to start doing his reception year all over again at the beginning of 2008. So he'll have to go back 1 1/3 years. Like your son he can read , write and do simple maths. Its causing me major concerns. I'm thinking of seeing if he can be put up a year, but then he'll be with some children over a year older. Whats the answer ?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 10:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Cameron 4 (nearly 5) and Brandon 6 (nearly 7) year old boys will be starting a new school soon..
can anyone give any advice about good ,bad ...great schools in the area?

also we are presuming that my youngest will be starting in February is this correct ..his DOB is 29/08/2002

which is a shame as he can already read and write and hope he doesnt get too bored having to go over all he has learned already.....

which year will my eldest be starting in Feb too DOB 20/11/2000

cheers guys ash, helen, brandon & cameron
As BAY says your child will enter pre primary in Feb 08. Your older child will enter year 2. I have tried getting my child put up a year and at my school they won't have it. I am glad now I didn't because she is better being with kids her own age and they give her extra work to stimulate. There are programmes to deal with kids who need the extra work so try not to worry too much.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:26 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
As BAY says your child will enter pre primary in Feb 08. Your older child will enter year 2. I have tried getting my child put up a year and at my school they won't have it. I am glad now I didn't because she is better being with kids her own age and they give her extra work to stimulate. There are programmes to deal with kids who need the extra work so try not to worry too much.
Ditto what Northernbird said.
Also its given my son bags of confidence - he went from starting year 2 in UK to the end of Pre-primary in Perth (hes an August born). They just think he's boy genius
Your eldest is in the same year group as my son so year 1.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:32 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what NB said.
My son went from starting year 2 in the UK to the end of Pre-primary in Perth. It has given him bags of confidence as hes gone from being the youngest (August born ) to one of the oldest. And its no great harm for him to be thought of as boy genius.
I think though your eldest will be in Year 1 , the same as my boy whose birthdate is August '00.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:10 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

It would help if we knew what suburbs you where thinking of? North Perth is a pretty huge place which I guess has a few different schools in every suburb, its a bit like asking somebody "suggest a school in Manchester" pretty ridiculous don't you think?
Jenny
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jensteve
It would help if we knew what suburbs you where thinking of? North Perth is a pretty huge place which I guess has a few different schools in every suburb, its a bit like asking somebody "suggest a school in Manchester" pretty ridiculous don't you think?
Jenny
good point ....we are starting off in kallaroo but wouldn't mind living near the sports centre in jundoolup until we get there we dont have a clue ...i guess its kind of catch 22 ...you cant pick a school until your in the area but you want to pick an area with a good school :curse:
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:24 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
good point ....we are starting off in kallaroo but wouldn't mind living near the sports centre in jundoolup until we get there we dont have a clue ...i guess its kind of catch 22 ...you cant pick a school until your in the area but you want to pick an area with a good school :curse:
Thanks for the additional info, Joondalup is pretty huge as well so I know there are a few schools there, also worth thinking about is if you want "private" schooling or not, if you want to pay then St Stephens in Carramar is pretty good, they have also just built a new one just a bit up from there but still on St Stephens Cresent. This from Joondalup would be fine, they have also built a new catholic primary up in Banksia Grove which seems to be nice, a lot of the local kids go there and we don't have a spot of bother from them at all, all very well behaved!
Jenny