Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in North Perth

Schools in North Perth

Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice
Default Schools in North Perth

We're due to arrive in Perth early December, and I was stupidly of the mindset that this would give a few months to sort out schools for our kids. I recently read a thread on here stating that places are hard to come by.

We were hoping to move near Tapping, buy land there/rent for a while. We have a daughter aged 9, and a son aged 4 (5 in early jan) .

does anyone know :

- will i be able to contact schools while they're on summer holidays in december?
- can i make contact from the UK (although i'd prefer to wait until i was over there to look these places over)
- any recommendation for a school that will accommodate both children - think Martin will be pre-primary, but not sure what school year Louise will go into (she's Y4 here, born Sept)

Getting them into a good school is my top priority, as well as making sure we don't have to move them later on, the whole process is unsettling enough for my daughter.

Thanks for any help you can give.

KAREN
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in North Perth

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
We're due to arrive in Perth early December, and I was stupidly of the mindset that this would give a few months to sort out schools for our kids. I recently read a thread on here stating that places are hard to come by.

We were hoping to move near Tapping, buy land there/rent for a while. We have a daughter aged 9, and a son aged 4 (5 in early jan) .

does anyone know :

- will i be able to contact schools while they're on summer holidays in december?
- can i make contact from the UK (although i'd prefer to wait until i was over there to look these places over)
- any recommendation for a school that will accommodate both children - think Martin will be pre-primary, but not sure what school year Louise will go into (she's Y4 here, born Sept)

Getting them into a good school is my top priority, as well as making sure we don't have to move them later on, the whole process is unsettling enough for my daughter.

KAREN
Tapping, Carramar............ you can't go wrong for schools.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know :

KAREN
If your daugher is about to turn 10 this month then she will be in year 5 next year, if she has just turned 9 already this month then she will enter year 4 (you don't mention when in Sept her birthday is)

Any school if you are living in catchment will take your elder child. however pre primary is not compulsory and as such they don't have to take your child if they are full which I suspect most will be by now as enrollment is usually July time.

Schools are usually difficult to contact over the summer period. Usually admin go back a few days before school commences which for 2008 is Monday 4th February. The kids don't break up though until Thursday 13th December so depending on when you arrive you may get lucky before they break up. You can make contact from the UK but not all schools will allow you to enrol until you have a physical address within the catchment area.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:33 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know :

KAREN

You will need to have proof of address before enroling but as NB has said its very easy and most schools have enrolment days before the start of the new school year.

Our daughter goes to Carramar Primary and cant fault it, here is their web site
http://www.carramarps.det.wa.edu.au/index.htm

S
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:32 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karen

We arrived early January 06 and the schools will be closed!
Here's some details for finding schools.

http://www.australianschoolsdirector...th-schools.php

http://www.aussiemove.com/city/city.asp?c=7&f=2

The schools will be more than used to being contacted before the summer recess. Some schools that are over subscribed have very strict catchment areas, so you will realistically only have a choice to send your kids there if you live in the catchment area.... be warned.

League tables 2006
http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/file...ata_2006_2.pdf

Perth: 2007 School Calendar
Term From To
Term 1 Wednesday 31 January Wednesday 4 April
Term 2 Monday 23 April Friday 6 July
Term 3 Tuesday 24 July Friday 28 September
Term 4 Tuesday 16 October Thursday 13 December

Perth: 2008 School Calendar
Term From To
Term 1 Monday 4 February Friday 11 April
Term 2 Monday 28 April Friday 4 July
Term 3 Monday 21 July Friday 26 September
Term 4 Monday 13 October Tuesday 16 December

Hope this helps.
Neil.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:35 pm
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for replies to date. Have to say I'm pretty stressed out about this at the moment. Don't know how I'll manage if I have to be at two different schools at the same time ????

Needless to say, schooling has now taken over priority from: sorting out house, finding a home, finding a job, etc etc

KAREN
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kbdb
Thanks everyone for replies to date. Have to say I'm pretty stressed out about this at the moment. Don't know how I'll manage if I have to be at two different schools at the same time ????

Needless to say, schooling has now taken over priority from: sorting out house, finding a home, finding a job, etc etc

KAREN
just asking about school terms, my daughter will be doing gcse in july therefor finishing school in england.

she will be 17 in september after she has taken her gcse's (she is one of the oldest in the year)

we are hoping to go to oz in the few moths following.

am i right in thinking that in oz the school term starts in jan and by my thinking she could join year 12 in jan at the start of the last year??????

we were hoping this was true as i dont want to interfere with her gcse's but think going in to year 12 will help her make friends

thankyou