Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools NOR Perth

Schools NOR Perth

Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough
Default Schools NOR Perth

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on a few schools.

We are currently living sor, but think we have decided to head north once our rental period is up. My son(13) is in a lovely school, but finding the work incredibly easy, and basically saying he hasn't learnt anything so far , so now again looking for schools-oh the joys eh!

Anyway the schools are St Marks in Hillarys, St Stephens in Carramar and also John xxii in Mt Claremont????

Anyones experiences good or bad would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Claire xx
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools NOR Perth

Originally Posted by clairey b
Hi everyone

We are currently living sor, but think we have decided to head north once our rental period is up. My son(13) is in a lovely school, but finding the work incredibly easy, and basically saying he hasn't learnt anything so far , so now again looking for schools-oh the joys eh!

Anyway the schools are St Marks in Hillarys, St Stephens in Carramar and also John xxii in Mt Claremont????

Thanks everyone!

Claire xx
I think there was a poll on here regarding best schools NOR recently if you do a search.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairey b
Hi everyone

Thanks everyone!

Claire xx
All good private schools but usually with long waiting lists. I wouldn't be moving unless you have a guaranteed place. If you move into the wrong area then you could end up with a crap state alternative.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I think there was a poll on here regarding best schools NOR recently if you do a search.
The poll was for Govt. schools. The three schools mentioned are all private.

My kids are going to go to St Mark's (Anglican), so I think it's great. St Stephens (Uniting Church) is great too and I've heard lots of good things about John XXIII (Catholic).

One major problem you will find is that the waiting lists for these schools are enormous. I put my kids down for St Stephens and St Marks in early 2004 and have only just been offered places in both to start 2010 (the boy, Yr 7) and 2012 (girls, Yr 8).

You might get lucky though and you will get bumped up the list if you are a regular churchgoer with a reference from your local vicar/priest.

Good luck.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
The poll was for Govt. schools. The three schools mentioned are all private.

My kids are going to go to St Mark's (Anglican), so I think it's great. St Stephens (Uniting Church) is great too and I've heard lots of good things about John XXIII (Catholic).

One major problem you will find is that the waiting lists for these schools are enormous. I put my kids down for St Stephens and St Marks in early 2004 and have only just been offered places in both to start 2010 (the boy, Yr 7) and 2012 (girls, Yr 8).

You might get lucky though and you will get bumped up the list if you are a regular churchgoer with a reference from your local vicar/priest.

Good luck.
Oh okay, apart from John XXIII (which we had our kids booked into when we were in Perth last year) and Churchlands, I've not heard of half of them because I was out of Perth for 11 years or so until last year and all those Northern Suburbs are pretty newish. When we moved back there last year for eight months, I didn't venture too far from my home turf of South Perth/Como. The only time I went to the Northern Suburbs was visit my sister-in-law in Hillarys and to take the kids down to the marina there a couple of times.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough

Many thanks everyone for your replies, i really appreciate it.

Claire
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We stayed in Carramar for two weeks over the Winter period (Aug/Sept) and found the place quite boring but also nice. Houses were quite nice and well looked after. We drove passed the local schools for interest (we have kids) and they all looked new. I would be surprised if any schools in Carramar were bad schools - I would live there and I would be happy to and send my kids there after viewing the results, but my husband says it's too boring - sorry not much help.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

My girls are both at St.Stephen's in Carramar, one in Y4, the other in the Y7 transition programme and it's been an outstanding school for us so far. My Y7 is doing work that I remember doing in 2nd year at high school! The difference between this school and their previous state school (academically) is huge, although the state school wins in the community/friendliness of parents stakes . Waiting lists are HUGE but I was really lucky & got in quickly (right place right time I think.) Best of luck with your decision.
TJ