Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schools for kids who's parents are RAN

schools for kids who's parents are RAN

Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:35 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice
Default schools for kids who's parents are RAN

If you get a job offer from RAN and move to Oz does that mean that you have to pay for school fees? Not too sure if when we go we'll be permanant residents and therefore get free schooling cos i've just read that non permanant residents or citizens may have to pay for schooling and as we will be coming over with three school age kids that's a bit of a worry?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice
Default Re: schools for kids who's parents are RAN

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
If you get a job offer from RAN and move to Oz does that mean that you have to pay for school fees? Not too sure if when we go we'll be permanant residents and therefore get free schooling cos i've just read that non permanant residents or citizens may have to pay for schooling and as we will be coming over with three school age kids that's a bit of a worry?
When you come over with RAN you will be a permanent resident so only have to pay voluntary contributions. My 12 year old is at primary and I payed $35. You have to supply their pens, folders etc but you get a list from the school. Hope this puts your mind at ease. Quite a few people send their kids to private school as it's not as expensive as in UK. Mine go to local government and have settled fine.

How far have you got in the application process? We have been in Perth now for about 8 weeks and things are ok. If I can help in any way just ask. Take care

Nicky
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:05 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by littlenick
When you come over with RAN you will be a permanent resident so only have to pay voluntary contributions. My 12 year old is at primary and I payed $35. You have to supply their pens, folders etc but you get a list from the school. Hope this puts your mind at ease. Quite a few people send their kids to private school as it's not as expensive as in UK. Mine go to local government and have settled fine.

How far have you got in the application process? We have been in Perth now for about 8 weeks and things are ok. If I can help in any way just ask. Take care

Nicky
We have only sent off for more info from RAN at the moment as dh has another 3 years return of service unless he pays back a £22k bonus from last year which isn't feasible. He's done 22 as of next year and about to start WO2's course in November so by the time we fill in everything and get it all sorted we should financially be ok and sorted here to make the move with a bit of capital behind us.

You expect to pay for books and things i suppose but was just worried about what i read.....reasuring to know he'll be a permanant citizen though, does that go for the whole family?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

yeah you all get PR visa's
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Hi

You will all be permanent residence but hubby will become a citizen about 3 months after getting here. Unfortunately the rest of the family have to wait 4 years (I think it changed from 2) to become citizens. My hubby has to wait a few more weeks before he can become a citizen but the boys and myself have to wait 2 years. Hope this helps. Good luck with the application, anything else I can help with just ask.

Nicky
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:20 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

cheers nicky and josie that's a great help, are you're partners both RAN? If so, are any on subs?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

After the 1st July Nicky it has change I think to 6 months? Sure I have read it somewhere
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

quietly spoken....husband joining the Australian Navy band
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

going to Sydney the first week of November. IF we get the visa's
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:25 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by Josie1100
quietly spoken....husband joining the Australian Navy band
Oh well, doesn't matter what they do if you get this kind of opportunity does it! How long has it all taken you...paperwork and stuff, and where are you going to.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our flights are provisionally booked to fly the evening of 5th November. Martyn will be working at HMAS Kuttabul at Potts point in Sydney. By the time we go (if we get the visa's) it will have taken us 18 months. The timing has been good for us as it has given us lots of time to think is all through. My husband is leaving 6 years short so we are giving up the pension etc but feel this is a fantastic opportunity for us as a family. I hope your plans work out
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:49 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by Josie1100
Our flights are provisionally booked to fly the evening of 5th November. Martyn will be working at HMAS Kuttabul at Potts point in Sydney. By the time we go (if we get the visa's) it will have taken us 18 months. The timing has been good for us as it has given us lots of time to think is all through. My husband is leaving 6 years short so we are giving up the pension etc but feel this is a fantastic opportunity for us as a family. I hope your plans work out
Will be so interested to read how you get on, same here about actually wanting it to be a slow process as we're looking at three years but that's why i want to get all my research and if's and buts out the way before we commit, once you get an offer from RAN how long have you got to start the job? Is there a date at which you've got to get all the legal stuff done and dusted by?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nothing is binding until you sign at Australia House the day you fly. The time scale works on the visa as your medicals and police checks are only valid for 12 months and the visa's have to be validated in Oz by a certain time. Until you sign and fly nothing is certain. I have been very unsettled over the4 last couple of days as someone has arrived in Sydney (joined RAN) and has put very negative feedback. I have nearly cried after so much stress with everything else!!!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlenick
Hi

You will all be permanent residence but hubby will become a citizen about 3 months after getting here. Unfortunately the rest of the family have to wait 4 years (I think it changed from 2) to become citizens. My hubby has to wait a few more weeks before he can become a citizen but the boys and myself have to wait 2 years. Hope this helps. Good luck with the application, anything else I
Your children under 16 can be included on husband's application. They do not need to wait 2 years.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your children under 16 can be included on husband's application. They do not need to wait 2 years.
Hi ya

My husband is also joining the RAN and gets citizenship, my youngest will be 15 when we arrive but turns 16 in November will she have to wait like myself or can she apply with him?

Does anyone know anything about university fees my eldest would like to go to Murdoch WA when she has completed yr 12 or a relevant tafe course. She will only have 2 maybe 3 A/s levels when we arrive so can't apply staight away. Will she be too old for year 12 as she is will be 18 in January. Her education is a real concern for me

Hi Josie I hope you are ok and understand your concerns about the move but I'm sure you will not regret your decision to go. This endless visa waiting game does not help at all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.