Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools - independent

Schools - independent

Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

coansha is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Schools - independent

Please could anyone give me some honest/unbiased advice on schools, my daughters have attended international schools(Spain) and am a bit of a quandary about the local schools. I totally appreciate funding etc for public schools just as in the UK is a problem, maybe it is because they have been to independent schools? We wanted advice from any other Expats and their school experiences.
I would like anyone from Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra or the Gold coast please, we are off to check out these areas soon, we are currently south of Sydney.

many thanks!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Schools - independent

Originally Posted by coansha
Please could anyone give me some honest/unbiased advice on schools, my daughters have attended international schools(Spain) and am a bit of a quandary about the local schools. I totally appreciate funding etc for public schools just as in the UK is a problem, maybe it is because they have been to independent schools? We wanted advice from any other Expats and their school experiences.
I would like anyone from Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra or the Gold coast please, we are off to check out these areas soon, we are currently south of Sydney.

many thanks!
A figure for you : 32% of Australian Children go to the various independent schools.

Unlike the UK, these schools do receive funding from both the State and Federal Governments, and so are able to offer realistic fees to Residents.

These fees can vary from $700 per year upwards. In my area, a common annual fee will be from $3,000 to $6,000, but down to about $700pa for the Catholic independent Schools.

We have used both State & Private, and do prefer the private system, although we also know people who have found equally good State schools locally.

Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Schools - independent

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A figure for you : 32% of Australian Children go to the various independent schools.

Unlike the UK, these schools do receive funding from both the State and Federal Governments, and so are able to offer realistic fees to Residents.

These fees can vary from $700 per year upwards. In my area, a common annual fee will be from $3,000 to $6,000, but down to about $700pa for the Catholic independent Schools.

We have used both State & Private, and do prefer the private system, although we also know people who have found equally good State schools locally.
Thanks, we have tried public, not impressed, now in Catholic(the answer to my mothers millions of hail Marys that at least one of her grandchildren might be catholic) system, but after a happy start, whilst volunteering found not 1 but 4 kids in class with attention disorders!! How they concentrate is beyond me, my eldest was classed as gifted but we are getting no extra help as promised to keep her stimulated. It is a hard one, we want a balanced life, but their education is quite important to us and may determine where we settle eventually, I can see us going the whole hog and totally private, they have only ever known that system and we were happy with it, also as you say it is much cheaper here than UK or Europe, I know local schools differ from area to area, but they have come from a real academic school and loved it, it could be the Catholic guilt in me coming out!!
cheers,
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:29 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we have tried public, not impressed, now in Catholic(the answer to my mothers millions of hail Marys that at least one of her grandchildren might be catholic) system, but after a happy start, whilst volunteering found not 1 but 4 kids in class with attention disorders!! How they concentrate is beyond me, my eldest was classed as gifted but we are getting no extra help as promised to keep her stimulated. It is a hard one, we want a balanced life, but their education is quite important to us and may determine where we settle eventually, I can see us going the whole hog and totally private, they have only ever known that system and we were happy with it, also as you say it is much cheaper here than UK or Europe, I know local schools differ from area to area, but they have come from a real academic school and loved it, it could be the Catholic guilt in me coming out!!
cheers,
me kids are in private Catholic Education, no complaints really as the church subsidise it, heavily
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough

cheers,
Have you looked into Anglican schools? Here are some to look at on the Gold Coast. I know that the first two (single sex schools) both have gifted programmes. The other schools are all co-ed, but I believe also very good and possibly also have some gifted programmes. I think that they are all independent, so can be pricey $8000 + per annum - but if your child is gifted then you may be able to get a bursary?

TSS - http://www.tss.qld.edu.au --- boys only
St Hilda's - http://www.sthildas.qld.edu.au ---- girls only
Somerset College - http://www.somerset.qld.edu.au
All Saints Anglican College - http://www.asas.qld.edu.au
Coomera Anglican College - http://www.cac.qld.edu.au/home.htm
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Schools - independent

Originally Posted by Teri
Have you looked into Anglican schools? Here are some to look at on the Gold Coast. I know that the first two (single sex schools) both have gifted programmes. The other schools are all co-ed, but I believe also very good and possibly also have some gifted programmes. I think that they are all independent, so can be pricey $8000 + per annum - but if your child is gifted then you may be able to get a bursary?

TSS - http://www.tss.qld.edu.au --- boys only
St Hilda's - http://www.sthildas.qld.edu.au ---- girls only
Somerset College - http://www.somerset.qld.edu.au
All Saints Anglican College - http://www.asas.qld.edu.au
Coomera Anglican College - http://www.cac.qld.edu.au/home.htm
Teri, that will be tonights job! Obviously you know the area, where would you suggest looking in terms of living in relation to the schools??
We are possibly trying the gold coast first to have a look at, so any info would be mucha appreciated when you have the time.

thanks!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough

Teri, that will be tonights job! Obviously you know the area, where would you suggest looking in terms of living in relation to the schools??
We are possibly trying the gold coast first to have a look at, so any info would be mucha appreciated when you have the time.

thanks!
Hi. It all depends entirely on which school you decide on.

St Hildas and TSS are both in Southport. I am not too sure on All Saints. Coomera College is in Coomera and Somerset college is in Robina. Our son will be going to TSS, and have looked at a number of different areas from Hope Island, Coomera and then Benowa on the other end - even Robina. We feel that the Gold Coast really is not that big so travelling is not a huge issue. So we will select a place based on its appeal and if the price is right - not on the travelling.

Have fun looking at the websites!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

http://realestategoldcoast.net/goldc...st-schools.htm

My kids go to Coomera Anglican College. Brilliant school - very caring and not too big. Did go to St.Hildas before that for six years.

Happy to give a review on all the schools if required.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goldcoastrealestate

My kids go to Coomera Anglican College. Brilliant school - very caring and not too big. Did go to St.Hildas before that for six years.

Excellent link. I believe that Coomera is really good, we were about to apply there, but then got word that we had been accepted at TSS...

Any review on TSS (good and bad)? My son is extremely sporty, especially in cricket, tennis and golf, so we thought TSS quite a good match for him.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

Perfect choice!

Excellent sporting facilities and reputation. Of course, the school fees help to give you the best!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and for tennis . . . .

http://pro-onetennis.com.au
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Perfect choice!

Excellent sporting facilities and reputation. Of course, the school fees help to give you the best!
Thanks.. good to hear. Yup... the school fees are quite high, but we do only have the one and decided a long time ago we would make the sacrifices.

Hubby will have to cut out his weekly visit to the beautician and maybe do his own waxing... .... LOL!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Schools - independent

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed them for a prospectus, also had a look at your website(thanks again) how did you find St.Hildas? Class sizes etc??
Can i ask why you left? We are looking for an area/school to keep us all happy, kids love school, a complete pair of girlie swots, and love drama classes dancing etc are these nearby? We also like to use our boat water skiing and I love theatre & shows, I don't mind travelling but would be ecstatic if we could find a bit of something for everyone, any ideas of suitable areas that are hopefully reasonably priced, would be very appreciated, our friends are coming to join us soon so there will be more of us.
What is the Coomera area/school like?

cheers,

claire
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Will send you an email why.