Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Darwin

Schools in Darwin

Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

hackster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Darwin

Hi Guys..... I'm a newby on this forum and would appreciate any advice that is available. I have just been offered (informerly) a new Social Work post in Darwen.... I cant tell you how thrilled I am.

My question is.... can anyone offer me advice on which are the best schools in darwin or palmerston. My child is 11 and he is year 7 in the uk. I believe that he would be in middle school in Darwin.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice
Default Re: Schools in Darwin

Hi,
Sorry I have no direct experience of schools in Darwin, but in case you haven't already discovered it the government's My School website lists all schools and background information. The NT dept of education also has a Find a School tool.
All the best with your plans.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hackster
Hi Guys..... I'm a newby on this forum and would appreciate any advice that is available. I have just been offered (informerly) a new Social Work post in Darwen.... I cant tell you how thrilled I am.

My question is.... can anyone offer me advice on which are the best schools in darwin or palmerston. My child is 11 and he is year 7 in the uk. I believe that he would be in middle school in Darwin.
I live in Darwin not Palmy but i know that education is a sore point in Darwin. I currently have all 3 of mine in Marrara Christian College as it has the best reputation in our area. I have heard that Roseberry has a new primary with a reasonable reputaion and they are also opening a new senior school as well. I have freinds who live in palmy if you want i could ask them which are the better schools down in that area so at least you have some idea of which ones are worth looking at.
Although your child is currently in year 7, the schools may not allow going in to year 7. My 12 year old has only just gone in to year 7 at the start of the new school year. When my kids came over in June 2010 they had to go back to the year they had just finished in the UK. Much to their annoyance.
When we first arrived we got the boys into local state schools but with in weeks i knew i had made a mistake as the kids were just not learning anything. Infact stuff my then 10 year old was asked to learn was stuff he covered when he was 6.
Good luck with the move to Darwin.
Mandy
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:34 am
Just Joined

hackster is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah thanks for that guys.... The school issue does worry me abit though.

Mandy... How have your children settled into the school,do you think they have been held back in anyway.

Am I right in thinking that schooling is compulsory until they are 18.

What's your view on Darwin and surrounding area?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy... How have your children settled into the school,do you think they have been held back in anyway.

Mandy is the Darwin expert, but if shes not online, you can go to the yellow line above and put Darwin in the search box, all sorts of posts should come up. Also there is a thread called Arrived a week ago in Darwin, in the update forum.

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 7th 2012 at 9:22 am.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes school is compulsory unless they get an apprenticeship or a job. Since i moved the boys my older two have settled really well in to Marrara, however my youngest has Aspergers and the school are really struggling with him.
i like Darwin most of the time, it does feel hot and sweaty when you first get here but im used to that now, my hubby is not and cant wait to leave.
If you read the updates it will give you a flavour of what i think. I try and give an honest approach of how i see it. I find getting round Darwin easy and with my job i have to travel a fair amount to rural areas to see elderly clients.
Darwin is what you make it, for us its not going to be our forever home as we want to live in Melbourne but as a short gap due to my husbands job it will do us for now.
Hope that helps
Mandy
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

We were pretty happy with Dripstone Middle School in the northern suberbs. All I can say is you really need to visit them personally, we did that, had a good feeling about the place, liked the head and went for it.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:28 am
Just Joined

lychee123456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldandbold
We were pretty happy with Dripstone Middle School in the northern suberbs. All I can say is you really need to visit them personally, we did that, had a good feeling about the place, liked the head and went for it.
Hi all,

I have just secured a position in Darwin and I am hoping to relocate shortly. I have a child who is in year 8 and I am looking for suitable schools.

I have considered St Johns College and Darwin Middle School, can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lychee123456
Hi all,

I have just secured a position in Darwin and I am hoping to relocate shortly. I have a child who is in year 8 and I am looking for suitable schools.

I have considered St Johns College and Darwin Middle School, can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.
From what i can gather from locals the St.John college is more a school for the aborginal children from rural areas rather than for local kids. As i looked into various schools and a few life long Darwinites gave me that nugget of info. Not sure about Darwin middle school as ive heard some positive stuff as well as negative things about the school. Visiting schools is really the only way to suss a school. I would highly recommend Marrara christian school its fees for a private school is very good and they do have a very good reputation they cater up to and including year 12. Essington school another private school i considered for my boys but the fees were beyond my budget.
Mandy
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
From what i can gather from locals the St.John college is more a school for the aborginal children from rural areas rather than for local kids. As i looked into various schools and a few life long Darwinites gave me that nugget of info. Not sure about Darwin middle school as ive heard some positive stuff as well as negative things about the school. Visiting schools is really the only way to suss a school. I would highly recommend Marrara christian school its fees for a private school is very good and they do have a very good reputation they cater up to and including year 12. Essington school another private school i considered for my boys but the fees were beyond my budget.
Mandy
Thank you Mandy. I will check out Marrara Christian school, I am not keen on Essington as it does not appear to be very , multicultural.

I know St Johns is very multi cultural and that was the appeal for us.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lychee123456
Thank you Mandy. I will check out Marrara Christian school, I am not keen on Essington as it does not appear to be very , multicultural.

I know St Johns is very multi cultural and that was the appeal for us.

Don't rule out The Essington School though. Darwin is the multicultural city of Australia so your child does not really need to be in a very multicultural school to experience this in Darwin. It's everywhere in this city.

I am British of African Descent and my kids have been at Essington since 2007 when moved to Darwin. I am happy with the standard of education at the school
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Discovery
Don't rule out The Essington School though. Darwin is the multicultural city of Australia so your child does not really need to be in a very multicultural school to experience this in Darwin. It's everywhere in this city.

I am British of African Descent and my kids have been at Essington since 2007 when moved to Darwin. I am happy with the standard of education at the school
Thank you for your view. I don't necessarily agree with your point but its nice to hear that you are happy with your children's school.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 1:38 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - I have two one in Roseberry and one in Palmerston High.....I was concerned having read many different things before arriving; however pleased to say Palmerston in particular have been fantastic! My son settled in within the first few days.....my other son found it more difficult in Roseberry, however I think that with it being a new school they had some teething problems....but the people I have met there have been great!

Hope this is of some help...
Shout if you want anymore info....

N congrats on the job.....whose it with?

Ems x