Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools/Carpenter in Perth

Schools/Carpenter in Perth

Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Schools/Carpenter in Perth

Hi guys,

Would like some advice please on suburbs of Perth that offer good primary schools and senior schools. Dont mind where we live, whether it be north or south, and apart from "decent" schools there are no other particular requirements at this stage. Or is it just easier to list areas to avoid!?

Also, my OH is a carpenter/builder, are there any areas in particular that he should focus on when looking for work, any new developments in the pipeline etc?

Hopefully the schools and work will be in reasonable distance to each other !

We have a budget of about $450-$500 for home if that helps with suburbs? At a push could possibly stretch a little
Thanks

Last edited by Lois1; Jan 14th 2011 at 10:26 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:37 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Schools/Carpenter in Perth

at 450-500pw don't expect good schools under the state system. You either pay the money for private or pay the money for location. There is no way around it.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Sorry meant to say £450K-£500K to buy, up to about $550K does that help?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Websites to give you an idea about schools:

http://bettereducation.com.au/results/WA/all.aspx
http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Real estate:

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Choo...e=buy&state=WA

Best to rent first, to get a real picture of areas.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lois1
Hi guys,

Would like some advice please on suburbs of Perth that offer good primary schools and senior schools. Dont mind where we live, whether it be north or south, and apart from "decent" schools there are no other particular requirements at this stage. Or is it just easier to list areas to avoid!?

Also, my OH is a carpenter/builder, are there any areas in particular that he should focus on when looking for work, any new developments in the pipeline etc?

Hopefully the schools and work will be in reasonable distance to each other !

We have a budget of about $450-$500 for home if that helps with suburbs? At a push could possibly stretch a little
Thanks
As far as I can tell work shouldn't be too much of a problem. If he's looking for joinery work then try a company called cpd located near welshpool. Over 70% of the workers are from the Uk.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice

Hi Lois1, I'd go for North of the River as there seems to be more building developments going on up here. As for schools, Try ringing the head teachers in any areas that your interested in. Our son is in Duncraig which is great, Hope this helps?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paulie H
Hi Lois1, I'd go for North of the River as there seems to be more building developments going on up here. As for schools, Try ringing the head teachers in any areas that your interested in. Our son is in Duncraig which is great, Hope this helps?
Thanks Paulie H, it has been a help. To be honest we have only really been looking south of Perth, no particular reason really, just started from Mandurah and worked our way up!

What areas would you say are worth looking at in respect to value for money, doesnt have to be right on the coast but preferably something within a 10-15 min drive away, near a good school, recreational parks and few shops etc.

Do you mind me asking how old your son is? Did he settle well at the school? My girls are currently 7 and 4.

Thanks again, most appreciated. Would be lost without the help and advice on BE!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lois1
Thanks Paulie H, it has been a help. To be honest we have only really been looking south of Perth, no particular reason really, just started from Mandurah and worked our way up!

What areas would you say are worth looking at in respect to value for money, doesnt have to be right on the coast but preferably something within a 10-15 min drive away, near a good school, recreational parks and few shops etc.

Do you mind me asking how old your son is? Did he settle well at the school? My girls are currently 7 and 4.

Thanks again, most appreciated. Would be lost without the help and advice on BE!
Hi Lois1, South of Perth is lovely, but so is the North, It depends which area you have your heart set on ? Perth (i think) is a city split in two, Your either South of the river and hardly venture North or Visa vesa . I live North and love it, But another poster will tell you the same about the South You need to be looking at commuting distances should you get a job in the CBD or the surrounding areas....Mandurah is a hell of a commute As for schools....Some areas are better than others!!! As for 10-15 mins from the beach, house prices/rentals are more expensive....Same as the UK But not out of your range. We left the UK within 6 weeks of our granted visa so our soon would start high school with the new intake. He's 14 now...and a teenager.....Don't we know it
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

How far from the coast would you need to be to get more for your money property wise?

What are the areas i should avoid in the north????!!

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Eammon is on a distinguished road

Hi Lois

We are south of the river in Secret Harbour and have to say we love it down here. That said, we know a few people who live NOR and they also love it there.

We spent the first couple of weeks driving around all the different areas that we thought was in our price range both NOR and SOR before making up our minds. I have to say, they appear to be very different.

I agree with what Paul says and check out commuting times. Eammon is also a carpenter and most of his work has been in the city, which is about 45 mins away from where we are, so I am not sure I would want to go any further south, but thats just my opinion. I work in East Perth and one of my colleagues travels from Mandurah each day and it doesn't worry her in the slightest, but for me it is just a bit too far.

We have two girls aged 15 and 9 and both have settled in lovely. Out little one settled right from day one both at school and with the whole WA lifestyle. Our big one took just a little longer, but wouldn't dream of going back to the UK now. She has settled in to school and made some really nice friends too.

Good luck with it all, it is all very mind blowing at times, but you will get there in the end

Denise

Last edited by Eammon; Mar 21st 2011 at 12:35 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Denise for your input. We now have out visa (yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!) and heading our for a reccie in October! So excited!

We are staying in Port Kennedy and will have a good look around. Secret Harbour and Baldivis are on my short list! Which school does your daugther go to? Will be having a look at those too whilst there.

Hubby plans to have a drive around and check out the work situation, hopefully will make a few contacts. Plan is to then move next year, again about October all being well. Get the "summer" here in time for spring/Summer there!

Lois
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lois, I have just pm'd you about NOR suburbs.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Eammon is on a distinguished road

Hi Lois - Our little one goes to Comet Bay Primary and has settled in lovely. Our big one is at Kolbe Catholic College up in Rockingham. She has settled in really well too and I have to say I'm very impressed with both the schools.

Have to say Badivis is nice too, it was one of the areas we looked at, although we went for Secret Harbour because we wanted beachside.

Good luck with you reccie keep us informed on what you decide on

Denise
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi Denise, have PM'd you

Originally Posted by Eammon
Hi Lois - Our little one goes to Comet Bay Primary and has settled in lovely. Our big one is at Kolbe Catholic College up in Rockingham. She has settled in really well too and I have to say I'm very impressed with both the schools.

Have to say Badivis is nice too, it was one of the areas we looked at, although we went for Secret Harbour because we wanted beachside.

Good luck with you reccie keep us informed on what you decide on

Denise