Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schools in cairns

schools in cairns

Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Lizzard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools in cairns

Hi we have been here a couple of weeks now and are trying to sort out schools for our kid. However as some are zoned trying to marry rental properties and schools is proving difficult. Does anyone know which are the decent schools and which ones to avoid for private, state primary and secondary.
Thanks in advance your comments will help sort out so many schools for us and the kids will be pleased at not having to be dragged round them all.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schools in cairns

No issues with any of private schools as far as I am aware.
TAS meant to be great but very expensive.
Peace Lutheran & Freshwater Christian also good & all 3 have school buses.
I think all the Catholic secondaries have good rep.
If you are looking at state, Cairns High & Redlynch are good. You can get into Cairns High on sport, drama, music ability etc if you are not in the strict catchment area.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:58 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lizzard, I think this thread will be better of in the main Australia forum as more people will see it there to answer. I'll leave a copy in this forum as well for a short while so you can find it.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking at primary or secondary?
Old Oct 16th 2010, 2:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hear much about primary but from what I hear of the secondary state schools:

Bentley Park - very bad.
Woree - probably not.
Smithfield - mixed bag; some good and some bad.
Redlynch - good
Cairns State - good
Trinity Bay - hear nothing.

Redlynch is the only state school worth considering if you want primary and secondary all in one.

I agree with Sally on the private schools and yes, TAS is very, very expensive.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi lizzard nice to see someone else in Cairns on here was beginning to get a bit lonely

We are going through the same thing with my son who is 15, although he can't go to school until our visa comes through!!! (very extended 6wks holiday for him)

We called around a few to visit, although we haven't tried Redlynch as didn't realise there was a secondary school there

Cairns high weren't very helpful and basically said yes we can apply but as we are not in the catchment it would mean jumping through a few hoops!!! and an interview where my son would have to impress them to take him, (his reply to this was they can whistle) he was in the Aim Higher & G&T group back in England,

We are opting for Smithfeild yep not one of the best but they have been really nice and welcoming, and the school my son went to back in the UK had an awful reputation but it didn't stop him from learning or going skiing every year!!

So after all that chatter my advice would be go visit don't take everyone's word for it as we all look for different things in schools and i am sure you kids would like a say,

good luck and if you don't know many people over here, let me know as i am a billie not many mates and would be happy to meet up for a coffee